• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snakebite deaths (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I genuinely don't see a practical, catch all, answer to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-45332002

As someone who's done his fare share of travelling in remote areas where snakes are always, potentially an issue, you know, if you do get bitten by anything nasty, remoteness is the killer as much as the lack of a suitable antivenom. You simply won't get timely treatment, whoever you are.

Well known sound recordist Peter Boesman lost a leg to a Bushmaster when he was travelling, it can happen to any of us.

They also mention costs, relative to a Swazi farmer, AFAIK, most antivenoms need to be kept refrigerated so even if free antivenoms were doled out, this assumes that the Swazi farmer has both power and a fridge. Then there's the conundrum of which antivenom to give out, many areas have numerous, potential killers which would need an accurate ID at the time of the incident to administer the correct antivenom.

Andy

I was in South Africa and Swaziland last year when a friend was bitten by a snake, he killed the snake only to be sure that it was identified and was given the suitable anti-venom.

regards
Merlin

Andy

I was in South Africa and Swaziland last year when a friend was bitten by a snake, he killed the snake only to be sure that it was identified and was given the suitable anti-venom.

regards
Merlin

That's all very well but location, location, location.......

You still need to be able to get the antivenom in time and if you're somewhere remote or have no vehicle like dmany poor villagers in Africa, then that may well be it for you. I know that Malayan Pit Vipers kill a lot of people in SE Asia because they can't get the anti venom in time.

In killing the snake, you also have to be careful not to get another bite which will add to the venom already in the victim.

A cautionary tale indeed but he was careless, most indiginous people in high risk area have an congenital fear of snakes and bites are nearly always the result of not seeing the animal until they get bitten.

I remeber when we were getting ready to go out nightbirding in Vietnam, the locals thought we were mad, many snakes are nocturnal and the chance of an encounter is increased but not neccessarily of being bitten.

Researchers who go out in to the field in Costa Rica at La Selva, all wear rubber boots to help protect againt a bite from an unseen snake. Encounters there are almost daily by staff members and the risk is taken very seriously.

As we stomped noisily through dry leaf litter, tracking an army ant swarm, I must admit, it did cross my mind that a Pit Viper could be in the leaf litter and we'd never know until it was too late.

Why you are recently writing so many threads with emotive topics, but only remotely related to birding?

Poor people die from snakebites usually for the same reason why poor people die from other preventable illnesses. They cannot reach or cannot afford medical treatment.

Why you are recently writing so many threads with emotive topics, but only remotely related to birding?

Poor people die from snakebites usually for the same reason why poor people die from other preventable illnesses. They cannot reach or cannot afford medical treatment.

'So many'.....?

This is the reptile thread, it doesn't have to be related to birds.;

Don't read it if you're not interested or post something yourself but be warned, you get idiots who'll criticise your posts but never start their own threads.

Last edited:

This thread in in the proper sub-forum so I don't see your point.

Useful information ....
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=405966509944933&id=159832767891643

It would be a brave person to stand still and allow a 'brown' to make their escape by passing between their feet as they stood still !

Chosun :gh:

A nice read, sad to see an Aussia using 'defense' though........:-C

I was bitten by a Common Adder in Russia and boy did it hurt, ten days before I could use my hand or arm properly and the snake was tiny 10-15cm so I would not like to get nailed by something really big and nasty.

Attachments

• 20150614113549168.jpg
    20150614113549168.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 45
That video showed that large brown as clearly defensively posturing, then trying to get away, though I'm not entirely sure that behaviour always holds true.

I've been told by lots of country folk that they are a lot more aggressive during mating season. If their intent is to scare and intimidate people then they do a bl**dy good job !

I've encountered a small brown (about 4&1/2 - 5ft long) when it was 20 to 30 ft away. My recollection is that it wasn't headed towards me, but I was headed in its general direction ...... it turned around and came straight for me at high speed! :eek!: I jumped sideways, backwards, anyways outta there!

Another encounter a mate of mine had was when he was sitting in his lounge room next to a large window watching Tele. He was startled by the sudden 'bang' right next to him as the snake was only stopped by the window when it struck - that was no mock attack! It was fair dinkum as the venom dripping down the glass comprehensively indicated! :eek!: Needless to say with his heart clocking about 200 bpm there was no need for a workout that day !

I've seen skins shed that were 8ft long and as thick as your arm, as well as seen adults crossing tracks at high speed - I'm pretty sure you couldn't outrun them from a standing start if they were serious .....

Chosun :gh:

I grew up in country Sth Australia and saw large brown snakes all the time - if surprised they'd posture defensively but always would get away as fast as possible. Never towards me - maybe if you cornered one in a building it would be different but not when there are plenty of options.

Here in Sth East Asia I see spitting cobras relatively regularly and they react the same. Vipers are more likely to be a problem given the hunting technique but I've gone very close before seeing them and then backed off to photograph so unless you stepped on one or almost brushed against it's not likely to be a problem. But as Andy said if you are poor farmer it's much more likely and then it's about getting the antivenom on time.

Andy I'll be at La Selva in June and besides great birds nothing would make me happier than seeing, but not getting bitten by, some of the snakes!

I grew up in country Sth Australia and saw large brown snakes all the time - if surprised they'd posture defensively but always would get away as fast as possible. Never towards me - maybe if you cornered one in a building it would be different but not when there are plenty of options.

Here in Sth East Asia I see spitting cobras relatively regularly and they react the same. Vipers are more likely to be a problem given the hunting technique but I've gone very close before seeing them and then backed off to photograph so unless you stepped on one or almost brushed against it's not likely to be a problem. But as Andy said if you are poor farmer it's much more likely and then it's about getting the antivenom on time.

Andy I'll be at La Selva in June and besides great birds nothing would make me happier than seeing, but not getting bitten by, some of the snakes!

We only had one good view of a snake (a couple of disappearing tails as usual) but it's the one I most wanted to see.

Attachments

• 20170421124902791.jpg
    20170421124902791.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 39
To see any snake is generally a joy when I have seen them. Although admittedly non venomous. Adult Great Black Whip Snake in Cyprus last year a joy. Although in Goa the guide was not too keen when we encountered a snake, even though it was travelling the other way. Insisted we wait a minute or so before we moved on. Respect where possible should be shown at all times.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back