• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around St-Louis (Missouri) (1 Viewer)

Didier Godreau

Hi all!

I am looking for any kind of information reagrding the good places for birding around St-Louis, in Missouri state (USA) for a friend who will visit family there.

Can you please help me?

Many thanks in advance,
Didier
Paris, France

Yes, Forest Park and Tower Grove Park.

Other places you will need a rental car, listed here
http://www.stlouisaudubon.org/Birding.htm
You will need Missouri and Illinois maps plus maybe a St Louis fold out map.
This one across bridge from Alton IL is best except in summer
RIVERLANDS, also known as REDA
Take Hwy 367 North from I-270 across the Missouri River
Turn right on the last road before the Mississippi River
(at a Fisca gas station) Go east past the gas station, and turn right
on the gravel road to the Teal Pond parking lot.

That one is also open in November when other places have duck hunting.

Last edited:
Didier, I see that Tero has mentioned a couple of the places which I emailed you about, Forest Park (site of the 1904 World's Fair) and Tower Grove Park. These are two goods birding sites within the city of Saint Louis.

For the various species of waterfowl/shorebirds/herons/egrets/etc., the other place Tero mentioned is a good place to go.

I grew up minutes from Tower Grove Park, and have heard some good things about the birds though I honestly haven't birded there myself. I should change that when I go home to St. Louis to visit Mom in a couple of weeks.
Very near there are the Missouri Botanical Gardens (aka Shaw's Garden) which is a great place for flowers (though I don't think I've been there that time of year).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back