• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History of Warwickshire: Fauna & Flora (1 Viewer)

Butterflies
If you want to see White Admiral, Silver-washed Fritillary and Purple Emperor the place to go now is Oversley Wood, Alcester, also present White-letter and Purple Hairstreak and Marbled White with many more butterfly species.

Regards, John

Came across a slow worm whilst on a walk last Friday. It was 'playing dead' out in the open on a path along a field edge near the railway line just north of Warwick Parkway station. It had an insect in it's mouth (couldn't see what it was) which it swallowed when we had gone a little beyond it to prevent it feeling threatened. It soon disappeared into the rough growth of the railway bank as 2 Buzzards started circling and calling.

Dave

Came across a slow worm whilst on a walk last Friday. It was 'playing dead' out in the open on a path along a field edge near the railway line just north of Warwick Parkway station. It had an insect in it's mouth (couldn't see what it was) which it swallowed when we had gone a little beyond it to prevent it feeling threatened. It soon disappeared into the rough growth of the railway bank as 2 Buzzards started circling and calling.

Dave

Hi Dave, Slow worms are surprisingil hard to see, however they like to get under tins to warm up, near where I live one such tin held a small slow worm, small Grass snake and 2 Wood mice.

Regards, John

Hi John, when I was a kid I used to live in Kenilworth and spent a lot of time with my mates on Kenilworth Common. We regularly came across slow worms hunting or just travelling through the undergrowth. We also watched lizards on one of the hot, dry sandy areas (used to call it the go kart-track) and also there were lots of glow worms along the disused railway line that used to service the old mill and possibly the scrap yard that used to be there. We also went 'fishing' in Finham Brook as it flowed through Abbey Fieds, catching Sticklebacks and turning over stones to find Bullheads. There were regular sightings of Water Vole but many people thought they were rats and threw stones (or worse) at them.

Regards

Dave

Hi John, when I was a kid I used to live in Kenilworth and spent a lot of time with my mates on Kenilworth Common. We regularly came across slow worms hunting or just travelling through the undergrowth. We also watched lizards on one of the hot, dry sandy areas (used to call it the go kart-track) and also there were lots of glow worms along the disused railway line that used to service the old mill and possibly the scrap yard that used to be there. We also went 'fishing' in Finham Brook as it flowed through Abbey Fieds, catching Sticklebacks and turning over stones to find Bullheads. There were regular sightings of Water Vole but many people thought they were rats and threw stones (or worse) at them.

Regards

Dave

Very interesting Dave, I know of no sites at present for Water Vole in Warwickshire. I believe Glow worms are still in south Warwickshire.

Regards, John

I believe, but not 100% sure that I saw a water vole at Ryton Pools CP about 2 years ago. It was around 40m away under the dark shade of some overhanging branches. May have been wishful thinking. The only definite WV I've seen recently was one at Minsmere in the pool by the sand martin cliff. I regularly walk around Ryton Pools and the canal and surrounding fields at Hatton without seeing WV. At one time the local Grand Union canal was well populated but I'm going back 30+ years now.

Regards

Dave

Dragonflies

9/7/11 Stopping local today Hartshill and Mancetter I saw more dragonfly species than any other day so far this year, including Emperor, Southern Hawker, Broad-bodied Chaser, Brown Hawker 2, Common Blue Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly 2.
Saw plenty of Gatekeeper today also.
Attractive Beetle Stragalia maculata, who's larvae develop in rotting timber and Wild Basil plants which grows mostly on Chalk and Limestone soils a notable species in Steve Falks Book the Wild flowers of Warwickshire and rare in North Warwickshire. Hartshill and Mancetter having bands of Limestone which is unusual in North Warwickshire.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 005#042.jpg
    005#042.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 020#021.jpg
    020#021.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 57
2 dead Common Shrews found at Earlswood, with a third found dead a couple of weeks ago. Never seen so many dead in such a short space of time before.
Matt

2 dead Common Shrews found at Earlswood, with a third found dead a couple of weeks ago. Never seen so many dead in such a short space of time before.
Matt

Hi Matt,
I have also in the past found a single shrew dead without apparent physical damage, with no reason for it's death.
I found some interesting details on the internet concerning Shrews, regarding the Common Shrew they are often found abandoned by their predators, since a liquid produced from glands on the skin is foul tasting.
All Shrews are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) and may not be trapped without a licence.
It would appear you have a good population of Shrew's at Earlswood at the moment Matt.

Regards, John

Butterflies
Hartshill area First brood Gatekeepers are widespread now, recent second brood of Small Copper's and today second brood of Peacock apparent with fresh Peacocks being seen today.

Regards, John

Flowers

12/7/11 Hartshill, North Warwickshire

Pic 1 Yellow-wort a Limestone liking plant growing on Quarrying waste Hartshill, normally only occurring in Limestone South Warwickshire. Pic 2 Common Century likes dry grassy places, also found on the coast.
Pic 3 Micro moth Mother of Pearl, although it's larger in size than a number of macro moths, first of the year seen today.
Does the Limestone at Hartshill reach the surface or only due to quarry waste being dumped, the anwer is yes pic 4 Limestone liking Musk Thistle there are a number of plants growing in an area never been quarried before.
Is the Limestone constant, the answer is no because pic 5 Foxglove an acidic liking plant is growing a few hundred yards away.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 006#028.jpg
    006#028.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 009#033.jpg
    009#033.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 011#022.jpg
    011#022.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 044#006.jpg
    044#006.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 046#006.jpg
    046#006.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 54
Helliborine & Moth

15/7/11 Marsh Helliborine in flower now at the only known site in Warwickshire also seen today Lesser Treble-bar moth, who's food plant is St. John'-wort's.

Regards,

John

Attachments

• 047#003.jpg
    047#003.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 026#013.jpg
    026#013.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 51
Flowers & Moth

17/7/11 Getting into flowers and identifying them is diffcult with some species, if you live in Warwickshire and have a flower guide, it's best to buy the wildflowers of Warwickshire by Steven Falk purchaseable from Kingsbury Water Park and Brandon Visitors centre price £16:95 . Looking for flowers is like birdwatching, different flowers like different habitats and some only like Limestone and others acid, some are not so fussy.
In Warwickshire you first need to identify the flower then look in the back of Steve Falks book and see how abundant it is, being Notable or rare are the least likely to be seen in Warwickshire.
Today North Warkwickshire notables in Steven Falks book pic 1 Harebell
pic 2 Betony and seen today a Common Carpet moth.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 012#020.jpg
    012#020.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 005#043.jpg
    005#043.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 056#006.jpg
    056#006.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 46
Dragonflies
Well known bird watcher Mike Inskip saw on 15/7/11 at Morton Bagot a Lesser Emperor Dragonfly a rare migrant.
Peter Reeve the Warwickshire Dragonfly recorder stating, this is the first record for Warwickshire.

Nice one Mike.

Butterflies
18/7/11 Essex Skipper is now on the wing, however some people struggle to identify this species, I noticed a population crash for the Essex Skipper last year in North Warwickshire when most butterfly species had a good year, with only cetain localities retaining Essex Skipper.

Regard, John

Crickets

19/7/11
Roesel's Bush Cricket now widespread in Warwicshire, they make a noise like a Savi's warbler, some suggest, like a dentist's drill by rubbing their wings together.
Until the early 20th centuary they were only known at the South East coast. However in recent years a rapid expansion took place, particulary travelling along the rough grassland and scrub adjoining motorways.
I usually find them in tall grass areas in north Warwickshre with 3 seen today in one place.

Regard's John

Attachments

• 005#044.jpg
    005#044.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 55
Flowers

Some flowers in the local woods at the moment, Warwickshire notable Broad-leaved Helliborine also Enchanter's Nightshade, Hedge Woundwort and a white flowered form of Common Henp-nettle.
A colder morning this morning and a Peacock struggling a little, had a job uplifting itself out of the grass.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 048#010.jpg
    048#010.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 044#008.jpg
    044#008.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 48
  • 005#045.jpg
    005#045.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 007#031.jpg
    007#031.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 011#024.jpg
    011#024.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 43
22/7/11 Sutton Park migrant birds on the move today with 3 Redstart, Lesser Whitethroat, 3 fem/juv Whitethroat, juv Willow Warbler with other Willow/Chiffs calling but hard to see them to confirm.. Siskins over in singles and doubles which is early.
Grasshopper Warbler still on territory giving brief Reels.
4 Oak Eggar moth seen in flight and a Beautiful Yellow underwing.

Regars, John

Moths, Dragonfly, trees

If you look at Ragwort plants now, soon you will find Cinnabar moth caterpillars on them, this is their food plant. This year Cinnabar Caterpillars are everywhere and in some areas now completely striping their food plant, as a result some Cinnabar caterpillars can be seen on the ground looking for other Ragwort plants.
Mancetter Quarry today I saw 2 Common Darter Dragonfly my first for this year, also noticed in the quarry silver birch growing on bare stone with no other plants in sight, no doudt showing they were the first pioneering tree's after the last Ice Age.

Regards,

John

Attachments

• 035#015.jpg
    035#015.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 052#005.jpg
    052#005.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 002#041.jpg
    002#041.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back