• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flass Vale.(durham city)....... (1 Viewer)

i gave it a go bit hardwork pushing bike...better on foot...its a gem of a place right in the middle of town....could be better signposted.

I grew up next to flass vale - it's a great spot full of common woodland species. It's in the process of being 'tidied up' at the moment which means the removal of plenty of scrub, so may be the end of garden warblers and fewer whitethroat/blackcap.

There are a couple of ways in - one next to Finbarrs by the old county hospital, and one on larches rd, off field house lane.

There's more decent birding around Aykley heads, not at all far from Flass. DLI pools can get kingfisher, the new reserve can have reeling grasshopper warbler, and there are willow tit in the woods.

I grew up next to flass vale - it's a great spot full of common woodland species. It's in the process of being 'tidied up' at the moment which means the removal of plenty of scrub, so may be the end of garden warblers and fewer whitethroat/blackcap.

There are a couple of ways in - one next to Finbarrs by the old county hospital, and one on larches rd, off field house lane.

There's more decent birding around Aykley heads, not at all far from Flass. DLI pools can get kingfisher, the new reserve can have reeling grasshopper warbler, and there are willow tit in the woods.

I checked out Flass Vale for myself yesterday. I agree with Paul: Quite a pretty vale and no shortage of common woodland species. I enjoyed watching a blue tit nest for a bit. Also, in the recent heat and dry spell there is no mud underfoot. I think this site would be brilliant for birders and their children.
I will aim to look at Aykley Heads too, although that's right at the top of the hill!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back