• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scissortail Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

buckskin hawk

Oklahoma Birder
Ah! Summer must be just around the corner. On the way home from the barn, sitting on the telephone wire was the unmistakable outline of a scissortail flycatcher. It was really pretty with the orange sunset blazing behind it. Also was able to add a flock Vespers Sparrows to my local patch list. They were in the pasture.

Other migrants are starting to show. The weather has just turned warm and the birding will get better. I want to see a Whooping Crane this year. I have missed them in the past few years.

Wonderful, I've always had a fascination with Oklahoma's state bird the Scissortail flycatcher... very nearly had a chance to go to Oklahoma a few years ago but it didn't quite work out and I have still to see it for real, I make do with the birdforum gallery to see them ;)
We are seeing plenty of summer species coming back over here in the U.K. although on a day like today, you do wonder why.

regards,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
Wonderful, I've always had a fascination with Oklahoma's state bird the Scissortail flycatcher... very nearly had a chance to go to Oklahoma a few years ago but it didn't quite work out and I have still to see it for real, I make do with the birdforum gallery to see them ;)
We are seeing plenty of summer species coming back over here in the U.K. although on a day like today, you do wonder why.

regards,
Andy

I think it is the long tail flowing in the wind as they dip and dart, like a flag or streamer. Other tropical birds have long flowing tail feathers but this is the only one that reaches this far north to my knowledge at least in the US. What about European birds? Do any have long flowing tails?

Right next to the Tulsa Airport is Mohawk park where the Oxley Nature center is located. Plan a few hours layover sometime and take a short ride over to the park and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back