• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultruavid HD Plus: Slight slack in the focusing mechanism - do I care? (1 Viewer)

The Replacements showed up today via Fed Ex, well done camerlandNY since I just made the replacement order Thursday.

THE REPLACEMENTS 8X42 ULTRAVID HD PLUS HAVE NO FREE PLAY WHATSOEVER IN THE FOCUSING MECHANISM. Same life-as-art spectacular image. Well done Leica.

I think before buying my UVHD+ 7X42's, I'll go by the CamerlandNY showroom if they have one, as I fly through JFK with some regularity.

Last edited:
The Replacements showed up today via Fed Ex, well done camerlandNY since I just made the replacement order Thursday.

THE REPLACEMENTS 8X42 ULTRAVID HD PLUS HAVE NO FREE PLAY WHATSOEVER IN THE FOCUSING MECHANISM. Same life-as-art spectacular image. Well done Leica.

I think before buying my UVHD+ 7X42's, I'll go by the CamerlandNY showroom if they have one, as I fly through JFK with some regularity.

You can't BEAT that service! Next time I need something, I'll give them a shot!

Leica focussing

I bought a pair of Trinovids last month and returned them. They were excellent - except for the focussing. It was nowhere near as smooth as many other bins (the Viking MDs come to mind) to the point that it moved in small jerks rather than in a single, smooth motion. Great to look at/through but useless in the field.

I bought a pair of Trinovids last month and returned them. They were excellent - except for the focussing. It was nowhere near as smooth as many other bins (the Viking MDs come to mind) to the point that it moved in small jerks rather than in a single, smooth motion. Great to look at/through but useless in the field.

Which model Trinovid did you try?

Your forum name does not lead to much confidence about your evaluating other brands. :-O

Jerry

I bought a Trinovid last month and kept it. It is excellent - especially the focusing. It was nowhere near as capricious as other binos (the Swarovski EL's and SLC's come to mind, which move in small jerks to the left rather than equally responsive both ways). Great to look through and a total joy in the field.

Last edited:
I bought a Trinovid last month and kept it. It is excellent - especially the focusing. It was nowhere near as capricious as other binos (the Swarovski EL's and SLC's come to mind, which move in small jerks to the left rather than equally responsive both ways. Great to look through and a total joy in the field.

:clap:

I bought a pair of demo trinovids last year. Out of the box, there was a certain amount of stiction to the focuser that made small fine adjustments impossible. However, I stuck with it, and after a couple of months, the focuser smoothed out nicely. It's not my favorite focuser, but it's very usable.

Today I received my pair of Ultravid HD Plus 8X42's.

Stunning in every way. The 'sparkle' we keep hearing about is not myth. Have begun numerous points of reference. For example, the texture of my neighbors roof tiles are actually available to these binoculars, I'll say more later.

However, I don't know whether or not to be concerned about 1/8" but closer perhaps to 1/16" of play in the focusing mechanism?

When changing directions with the focus wheel, there is a very slight turn in the new direction before the focusing re-engages. Slight but distinct.

In automotive gearing this is colloquially known as, “drive line slack.” All the gears are engaged in one direction, then when you go the opposite way, the tolerances in the linkages must be eliminated before the last gear finally turns.

Is a slight amount normal in the Leica Ultravid focusing mechanisms? Do I / Should I care about this?

Thanks!

What's the black artifact on the eyecup of the Ultravid in that photo? (Image in opening post)

The alleged artifact in the original picture is above the Leica logo. As you can see there is nothing there. So whether the original was corruption of the JPEG file, a reflection, the prior user was crying, who knows.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 66
The alleged artifact in the original picture is above the Leica logo. As you can see there is nothing there. So whether the original was corruption of the JPEG file, a reflection, the prior user was crying, who knows.

It was on the eyecup above the red dot. If you look carefully at the image in post #1 on this thread you'll see it, if you haven't already.

I think it is funny that I have fixated on this. :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back