• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Action 7x35 EX Extreme All-Terrain Binocular (1 Viewer)

black crow

I'm considering this for astronomy mostly. I own some nice alpha glass for birding but I also use some low cost binoculars on occasion and enjoy them also. The wide fov on the 7x35 makes it appealing for birding and I like using porros ever since I bought the EII. Are these optically decent enough to enjoy occasionally using as a birding glass? I've read mixed reviews on this.

..... Are these optically decent enough to enjoy occasionally using as a birding glass? I've read mixed reviews on this.

I am sure you will get further mixed answers when asking that question.
But my own answer is: yes, absolutely, the Action EX 7x35 is worth every penny of its price and more and can be well used for birding.
Could the off-axis sharpness be a bit better, esp. in the outer parts of the image? And could the image be a bit brighter? Yes, of course. But given it‘s price, you will enjoy a nice wide field of view and a decent central sharpness in a sturdy, waterproof porro bino that fits well into your hand.

But please ignore everything I say here in case your use of nice alpha glasses has spoiled you too much ...

I agree. I also like the Action Extreme 7x35's. Rugged and not overly bulky. They are very clear and work great for my In-Law's who wear glasses. I really like the wide field of view and click eye cup's for viewing as well. For what they cost I think you will be very happy with all you get. Great warranty too!

I am sure you will get further mixed answers when asking that question.
But my own answer is: yes, absolutely, the Action EX 7x35 is worth every penny of its price and more and can be well used for birding.
Could the off-axis sharpness be a bit better, esp. in the outer parts of the image? And could the image be a bit brighter? Yes, of course. But given it‘s price, you will enjoy a nice wide field of view and a decent central sharpness in a sturdy, waterproof porro bino that fits well into your hand.

But please ignore everything I say here in case your use of nice alpha glasses has spoiled you too much ...

Thanks, I don't spoil that easily.;) These would mostly be used for astronomy but could be a good loaner when I don't want to risk my babies on a friend.

I agree. I also like the Action Extreme 7x35's. Rugged and not overly bulky. They are very clear and work great for my In-Law's who wear glasses. I really like the wide field of view and click eye cup's for viewing as well. For what they cost I think you will be very happy with all you get. Great warranty too!

OK thanks, for that price it sounds hard to miss.

These would mostly be used for astronomy ......

Sorry, but didn‘t you just say a bit earlier (post #1) that the wide fov makes them appealing for birding and that you would use them occasionally „as a birding glass“??
For astronomy, I would not use the 7x35 but its 10x50 brother/sister.

Last edited:
BC,

FWIW, used the Nikon Action EX 10X50s for 8 years in the GOM offshore (my previous life). Now, with my new found understanding, respect and appreciation for great glassing instruments, what I though were okay optics then, IMO really was just a joke! ;)

Ted

Sorry, but didn‘t you just say a bit earlier (post #1) that the wide fov makes them appealing for birding and that you would use them occasionally „as a birding glass“??
For astronomy, I would not use the 7x35 but its 10x50 brother/sister.

I have an Oberwerk 11x56 for astronomy but I want something with more FOV. We have very clear skies here most of the year.

BC,

FWIW, used the Nikon Action EX 10X50s for 8 years in the GOM offshore (my previous life). Now, with my new found understanding, respect and appreciation for great glassing instruments, what I though were okay optics then, IMO really was just a joke! ;)

Ted

So it's nothing I'd ever want to use for birding. I get that. But it would work for someone new to binoculars? I don't like loaning good binos out to people who don't appreciate their value. If they bust them due to being careless all you get is an " I'm sorry". My ex's daughter wants to go hiking with me and I want to have her take some binos along.

I have an Oberwerk 11x56 for astronomy but I want something with more FOV. We have very clear skies here most of the year.

So please don’t ask for opinions on a binocular „for birding“ and then, when you get answers, let everybody know that you will use it for astronomy. Unless you are just trolling ....

I'm considering this for astronomy mostly. I own some nice alpha glass for birding but I also use some low cost binoculars on occasion and enjoy them also. The wide fov on the 7x35 makes it appealing for birding and I like using porros ever since I bought the EII. Are these optically decent enough to enjoy occasionally using as a birding glass? I've read mixed reviews on this.

Hi BC,

Those Nikon 7x35 Action binoculars will work for Birding real well!

I donated one to my American Legion Post which has a Bar and Lounge that overlooks a lake. It stays behind the bar and gets lots of use when the local Bald Eagles and varieties of Ducks come by. I remember being there when a Mayfly hatch came off the lake and we were visited by a couple of Kestrels that fed on them. It got a lot of use then! I had my wife's 8x30 CL Companion to use.

It is an easy binocular to use and is tough enough to withstand a lot of handling.

Bob

If everything I hear is true about these and I believe it, this is a prime example of my belief that good and reliable optics can be had for much less than premium prices. I know for sure that if I lost all my expensive bino babies tomorrow and could only lay hands on one of these Actions, I'd be basically the same happy camper that I am now. Maybe happier in fact. I think I will get a pair for night and guest use. It's really a no brainer at that price. I do wish however that US Nikon would get it on with some more high end porros like the EII. I'm so in love with that optic I just bought a second one because I never want to be without it due to a needed repair or accident.

So it's nothing I'd ever want to use for birding. I get that. But it would work for someone new to binoculars? I don't like loaning good binos out to people who don't appreciate their value. If they bust them due to being careless all you get is an " I'm sorry". My ex's daughter wants to go hiking with me and I want to have her take some binos along.

BC,

For your intended purposes, it would be a "good fit"!

As Bob stated, "It is an easy binocular to use and is tough enough to withstand a lot of handling".

I agree!

Ted

Perfect, thanks guys. When I left that relationship she was 11 years old and a most wonderful and energetic kid. Now all these years later she contacted me and we have a nice friendship going. She's 27 now. Yikes.

Is this basically the same bin with a different badge, do you think?

I’ve not spotted it before. As a fan of 7x, I used to own the Nikon and was put off by too much field curvature for my eyes. I’m wondering if this Celestron is any different.

Seems it might be a bit differen5 to the Nikon. Found a few online reviews and a thread here on BF. Seems they have a much bigger sweet spot according to some.

Has anyone compared the optical quality to the Orion Porro binoculars? Like the Orion UltraView 8x42? Or possibly anything from Bushnell?

Has anyone compared the optical quality to the Orion Porro binoculars? Like the Orion UltraView 8x42? Or possibly anything from Bushnell?
Last week I stayed with one daughter in Australia who has Orion Ultraview 8x42, and with another who has Nikon Action 7x35 EX Extreme so was able to try them out again. The Orion and EX gave a similar wide view but the Orion 'made in Japan' was sharp over nearly the whole field, while the EX is noticeably fuzzy outside its central sweet spot. They both appear to be well built and have survived completely intact but EX is 'waterproof' and somehow conveys a greater impression of durability.

The controls for both were still excellent except that the EX's dioptre tabs might have been a bit too easy to move without intending or noticing it. Especially for a waterproof porro, EX's focus wheel was smooth, precise, and light in action, while not quite as easy as the Orion. Although I have not checked the dimensions EX seemed bulkier and heavier but 'squatter' and, to me, a bit nicer to hold.

As supplied the EX had individual inset objective caps with open loops, and the Orion had basic lens caps, which would all quickly get lost. I had thought that these binoculars were both good enough to justify getting alternative attachable objective caps.

In the low cost category I reckon Orion and Ex were both better value than the Bushnells which I have owned. At the time I liked Bushnell Excursion 7x26 but they were later found to be relatively poor in clarity and in build qualty, as was Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42 with respect to build, but I liked the Bushnell 8x42 Excursion EX which I once tried and I do now regret parting with my Hawke Frontier PC Open Hinge 10x42, see specs. in the Equipment Reviews and the notes I posted.

I have an older model Nikon Action 7x35 -- current offering is the Nikon 7x35 Aculon A211 Binocular.

I use my 7x35 for daytime nature viewing. I have observed some really nice views of birds on the wing at close distance.

For astronomy, the low magnification binocular that I use is 7x50. For my eyes, the 7x50 shows more stars due to the increased lens size.

However, the 7x35 does show a blacker sky and deliver more contrast between star color and the night sky. The stars and planets are just not as bright as with the 7x50. Seems that 50mm is a good starting point for astronomy use -- transfers more light to the eyes.

Crusty

So does the Aculon and the Action both use the same optics and the difference is one being waterproof and the other not? Sorry if someone already mentioned this.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back