• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds Nest in Bazaar place (1 Viewer)

markpd

Hi all,

A blackbird has decided to nest on my broom and mop leaning against the wall, just by the door to my garden. Every time I open the door, it scares the blackbird away. I'm also concerned about cats, one knock to any of the surrounding items the nest is sitting on, is going to send it flying. Can anything be done?

Attachments

• black2.jpg
    black2.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 58
quickest would be to make a wire hoop with prongs to go down behind the wooden weatherboards to the right. 5 mins to make and only 30 seconds disturbance, hook prongs down, place nest in hoop. but any disturbance is a risk. or else a good barrier like a clothes rack with wire on it and a blanket over front to veil it across the corner to stop anything getting up from below or accidentally moving the mop.

Bazaar is a market place, should be bizarre,

thought I'd beat John and Nutty to it.....:t:

In a very old house when I was a kid, we had a mop bucket in the back porch and a Blackbird nested in that, we all had to use the front door for a while.

A

Maybe just leave it alone , as it looks fairly secure, as long as the mop stays in place !,and the climbing shrub will provide concealment when it comes into leaf, once she starts incubating they are fairly confident and dont often move even with you using the door, I have had one nesting in my shed over the past couple of years, and I have been working in the shed with the Blackbird sat in the nest only feet away,as long as you dont make too much eye contact they tend to continue incubating.
Have fun !

Last edited:
Maybe just leave it alone , as it looks fairly secure, as long as the mop stays in place !,and the climbing shrub will provide concealment when it comes into leaf, once she starts incubating they are fairly confident and dont often move even with you using the door, I have had one nesting in my shed over the past couple of years, and I have been working in the shed with the Blackbird sat in the nest only feet away,as long as you dont make too much eye contact they tend to continue incubating.
Have fun !

My concern was that if a cat tried to get to it, that it would all tumble down.

That's what I was hoping, that they would get used to me going in out of the garden. I think it's just the initial opening of the door that scares them away. Seem's the male and female are rotating their duties.

I was impressed by the nest, perfectly round and built. Must have taken days.

Unfortunately, the eggs/nest are no more as they were attacked by a magpie.

Personally, I don't think that people and the council have helped seeing as they have cut down so many tree's over the past year in the local proximity.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back