• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where to spend a couple of hours, S.E coast UK (1 Viewer)

jape

I am planning to look for old friends and family, starting Eastbourne and across to Kent.
I am agrophobic (not open space but people and cities) and claustrophobic but car is OK usually as it is sort of inbetween but all trips are very stressful for me. I want to do this as an exercise in rebuilding contacts and confidence after period of isolation even if i dont find anyone!

i know of Eastbourne area Arlington, Cuckmere, Seaford.

No specific interest in sea birds, I just want a couple of relaxed hours here and there watching birds and nature between driving stints, easy to find and not too much walking if possible.

Anywhere from Hastings along coast roads and up across downs to Maidstone. Will probably stop at a Travelodge as cheap and cheerful and flexible.

50 yrs since i have driven round there so any ideas welcome, thanks.

Last edited:
thats a good start thanks. i will probably go to beachyhead pub and stroll around during a weekday as it was horrific with hundreds of people when i was there before on weekend and traffic was chokka. then head east in car past Hastings but could do with a break after that at some point too. need a waypoint on map for gps as otherwise when concentrating on driving you miss signs and views and nature reserves and although there are plenty to find by googling i hope for favourite places of other birders that they recommend. i am flexible in route whether coast or inland but need to go to Maidstone finally by a reasonably comfortable drive. so any residents of east sussex and kent and inbetween may know of best way and places.

this is my first ever birding trip, it doesnt have to be miraculous as my life list so far is just my local garden birds!

Last edited:
50 yrs since i have driven round there so any ideas welcome, thanks.

I suspect the traffic may be just a little bit heavier now than then . . . . my impression is that the entire southeast is in near-perpetual gridlock (so be prepared for slow travel!!)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back