Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opticron Discovery 7x42

Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 01:54   #26
FrankD

Not sure if the pics really relay how short it is for a 42 mm glass. I haven’t put them directly next to the 8x42 yet but I am guessing it might be a tad shorter. Very compact and tons of eye relief...usable eye relief in particular as the eyecups don’t extend much above the glass surface.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 07:54   #27
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Not sure if the pics really relay how short it is for a 42 mm glass. I haven’t put them directly next to the 8x42 yet but I am guessing it might be a tad shorter. Very compact and tons of eye relief...usable eye relief in particular as the eyecups don’t extend much above the glass surface.
Its only half an inch longer than a Traveller 8x32 Frank and you are right about the eye relief. It is fine with or without spectacles.

Lee
Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 09:37   #28
ceasar

B&H gives the E.R. as 25mm, which is very long--about an inch--and its dimensions as 5.2" x 5".

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 10:09   #29
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
B&H gives the E.R. as 25mm, which is very long--about an inch--and its dimensions as 5.2" x 5".

Bob
Bob

With my spectacles I got blackouts so moved the the eyecups to the middle setting but this means I lose some fov so I need to experiment a bit. Thinking this didn't bode well for folks who don't wear spectacles I screwed the eyecups all the way out and tried them with naked eyes and it was absolutely fine. I will report more on this in the review in a few week's time.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Monday 23rd April 2018 at 17:05.
Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 13:58   #30
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Bob

With my spectacles I need the eyecups in the middle setting not screwed all the way down as this caused blackouts. Thinking this didn't bode well for folks who don't wear spectacles I screwed the eyecups all the way out and tried them with naked eyes and it was absolutely fine.

Lee
Lee

Assuming you are near sighted I guess there was enough focus past infinity for your eyesight when you set the diopter?

Bob

Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 14:45   #31
Troubador

Quote:
Lee

Assuming you are near sighted I guess there was enough focus past infinity for your eyesight when you set the diopter?

Bob
Just checked this out and focusing without spectacles on the ridge across the valley that is just over 2.5 miles away, there is still half a turn of the focus wheel left, so that seems pretty generous.

Lee
Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 16:13   #32
Chris Galvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshrew View Post
When will this be out on display in the UK?
It will be on show at all of my Optics Events throughout the Spring visit the Opticron website for a list of events at Which I will be present. My next event is a double-header in Essex supporting Essex Wildlife Trust. I will be at Abberton Reservoir 28th April and Hanningfield Reservoir on the 29th.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/dealer_events_map.html

Failing that ring your local dealer to see if they are a stocking it

Last edited by Chris Galvin : Sunday 22nd April 2018 at 16:16. Reason: More information added
Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 18:52   #33
Boogieshrew

Thanks Chris. I’ll keep an eye on my local dealers.
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 02:33   #34
adhoc

Frank, Lee,
Before your reviews, what is the stated FOV? Thanks.
Adhoc
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 07:19   #35
typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
Frank, Lee,
Before your reviews, what is the stated FOV? Thanks.
Adhoc
The specifications are given in the downloadable catalogue;
http://www.opticron.co.uk/PDF/Product_Guide_18.pdf

The FoV is listed as [email protected] with an ER of 25mm. Unless the 7x32 has a bigger diameter eyepiece than the other versions I don't think those values are compatible. Hopefully someone will check.

David
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 09:52   #36
adhoc

Thanks David. I had been visiting their website for this. Now (after your post) I see one chooses the inconspicuous "Downloads" option and then the inconspicuous "Product Guide 18" option to get to this.

Without (I hope) starting an off-topic tangent: In this catalog (where all the models are viewed much more easily) is also the Adventurer T porro 6.5x32 with a 9.2 deg. field of view. I find that this model, unlike our subject, is also in the main part of the website. Has it been around, and reviewed (or reported on) in BirdForum, or tried out by you?

PS. After posting that I find (on searching) that there is a thread in this subforum (Opticron) on the Adventurer 6.5x32 porro, started this month by Perterra. All of the info. in response is from Frank, who has one.

Frank, as you have offered over there in that thread, more on that please (there), when you have the time, thanks!

Last edited by adhoc : Monday 23rd April 2018 at 10:40. Reason: PS.
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 10:45   #37
typo

Adhoc,

I did ask Pete about the Adventurer porro six months ago but didn't get a reply. I haven't seen it yet. I see you have found Frank's comments now.

David
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 15:17   #38
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo View Post
The specifications are given in the downloadable catalogue;
http://www.opticron.co.uk/PDF/Product_Guide_18.pdf

The FoV is listed as [email protected] with an ER of 25mm. Unless the 7x32 has a bigger diameter eyepiece than the other versions I don't think those values are compatible. Hopefully someone will check.

David
The PDF says that the new Discovery WP PC binoculars "are using an ultra-compact optical design, the Discovery WP PC series are among the smallest waterproof roof prism binoculars available on the market. With a host of features including wide field eyepieces, close focus to 2m and IPDs as low as 52mm, they offer you a well made, stylish and user friendly field glass."

At 5 inches by 5.2 inches they are also rather short. I'm wondering if their 42mm objectives are f4?

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 23rd April 2018 at 15:21.

Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 15:44   #39
FrankD

Lots of questions. I think I can answer some of them.

The stated field of view is 408 feet. I haven't measured it at this point but judging by initial impressions I would not doubt this to be accurate. The field of view seems wide but part of that impression is stemming from the unique type of edge performance that this binocular displays. It has pincushion distortion which is noticeable when panning. The sweet spot appears huge and the transition to off axis performance is gradual. There is a small area (about 10% wide) that is out of focus and distorted but the edges can be focused equally sharp as the center with a slight nudge of the focusing knob (field curvature).

adhoc,

I have been using the 6.5x32 Adventurer WP porro more recently. It was introduced back in 2017 as I have had it and the 8x42 version since then. Optically it is what you would expect from a $100 US widefield porro. The center is sharp with good overall color and brightness. The sweet spot is "average" at approximately 50% of the field of view. Outside of the sweet spot there is notable field curvature.

Mechanically it is solid with a vintage porro feel...similar to a Nikon E II. My only objection in this area is the diopter adjustment (on the right eyepiece) moves a little more freely than I would prefer.
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 16:43   #40
adhoc

Thank you Frank for that digression, which conveys all I need to know for the moment. So now we await from you maybe a little more on that in that thread, and quite a bit more on the Discovery 7x42 in this thread! Do you still feel like recruiting that "hand-rubbin' emoji"?
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 17:35   #41
FrankD

adhoc,

I am thoroughly enthused with the 7x42 Discovery. It offers an excellent overall "package" in that it feels good in my hands (length and weight combination) and the view is pleasing to my eyes.

Is it an "alpha" optically?

No, of course not. We are talking about a $250 (US) binocular here. However what it does offer is all the benefits of a classic 7x42 roof (wide true field of view, excellent depth of field, large exit pupil to let your eye roam a bit, etc...) in a very compact, solid package and from an established company.

Edit: And I love the focus. Good combination of tension and speed.

Last edited by FrankD : Monday 23rd April 2018 at 17:37.
Old Tuesday 24th April 2018, 14:49   #42
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Both US and UK websites now have specifications published for the 7x42 model.

Cheers, Pete
Old Tuesday 24th April 2018, 17:04   #43
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Thanks for the info, Pete and Frank!

Pete, Do you know when the 7X42 Discovery will be available in the US? I want one!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th April 2018, 18:44   #44
wdc

Quote:

Bob

Well THAT eye relief should fit me! (19mm/Opticron was a no go for me)

-B.
Old Tuesday 24th April 2018, 18:46   #45
FrankD

I can confirm the eye relief is l o o o o o n n n n g g g g. I typically don't extend the eyecups with any binocular but need to with this one in order to eliminate blackouts.
Old Wednesday 25th April 2018, 03:36   #46
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Thanks for the info, Pete and Frank!

Pete, Do you know when the 7X42 Discovery will be available in the US? I want one!
Found out today this is available NOW from a BF member! Thanks for the heads up! Got one on the way!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th April 2018, 17:29   #47
Troubador

Quote:
I can confirm the eye relief is l o o o o o n n n n g g g g. I typically don't extend the eyecups with any binocular but need to with this one in order to eliminate blackouts.
Me too Frank. With my latest spectacles I have to lift up eyecups on many models of binos and this is no exception. In fact I am going to a local bearings and seals centre tomorrow to pick up some o-rings to adjust the eyecups on them and on some other binos.

Nice view isn't it?

Lee
Old Wednesday 25th April 2018, 19:31   #48
Jinty85

Hi Gents,

Sorry but it seems to me that those who regularly receive Opticron products to review never, ever say anything critical about them. I also know that others who have been constructively critical on the forum have had their words quoted back to them by Pete Gamby when he has refused to send a product to review. So, I take these lavish praise-laden comments with a large pinch of salt!!!!!!!
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 07:21   #49
adhoc

Hi Jinty85,

Quote:
...Is it an "alpha" optically//No, of course not. We are talking about a $250 (US) binocular here...
In many reviews of moderately priced binoculars I (personally) take it that the above idea is implicit! On forums such as these if there is a doubt concerning a favorable review, in general or in regard to some point within it, we could, and often do, directly ask the reviewer.

PS. On the other hand if a reviewer receives any special benefit (that ordinary users do not) from the manufr. or their agent/s in connection with a review he/she should make it a point to state that. Confining my comments to FrankD, as I have already cited him, I believe he does this.

Last edited by adhoc : Thursday 26th April 2018 at 17:03.
Old Thursday 26th April 2018, 16:44   #50
Petrus82

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
Hi Jinty85,

In many reviews of moderately priced binoculars I (personally) take the above idea to be implicit! On forums such as these if there is a doubt concerning a favorable review, in general or in regard to some point within it, we could, and often do, directly ask the reviewer.

PS. On the other hand if a reviewer receives any special benefit (that ordinary users do not) from the manufr. or their agent/s in connection with a review he/she should make it a point to state that. Confining my comments to FrankD, as I have already cited him, I believe he does this.
My implicit response from that particular comment from Frank is “No sh*t Sherlock!”

Seriously, I think Jinty is being harsh!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: