• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spare Time Art, Full Time Frustration (1 Viewer)

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the comments about the sketch, just had a quick look through your site and blog, where do you find the time with working full time?
Chris

I have a horrible secret Chris: I was able to take early-retirement about two years ago. Previous to that I thought about art work all day but couldn't actually do any except in little snippets before work and on the weekends. I don't think I would have quit work in this job environment if I wasn't so desirous of having more time to work on my paintings/drawings/prints, and of course birding. And I thought that I'd rather live a little more cheaply and have my time to myself than live a bit more expensively and be tied to a desk for a few more years. I feel incredibly lucky to be in this position and can only sympathize will all the people here who have to grab a bit of art time when they can.

Hi Ken,

Sounds like you've got it sorted, i musn't complain too much though worked in the pottery industry for quite a few years figure painting and now i'm signwritting (all digital - illustrator, photoshop work) so there as been elements of creativeness in those jobs but not as much as i'd like though.

Have dabled a bit with illustrator doing bird subjects must dig them out, can't help going back to the paints though its just the tactile nature of it i suppose.

Chris

Hi tbbilbo,

Not sure i deserve a wow when you look around some of these threads, but thanks greatly appreciated.
The Heron watercolour on your thread's got great technique, tend to get mine muddy looking half the time.

Chris

Hi Chris,
I use these bulbs and find them very good. not expensive.
got them from here ,a good service too. energybulbs.co.uk
love your style. hope it may help but they must be daylight bulbs.

Attachments

• L1030870.jpg
    L1030870.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 114
Thanks Arthur,

Much appreciated, got a couple of lamps so will sort them out first or go down the road Colleen outlined, looking at getting a tube light as well.

Cheers Chris

Hi Arthur
Thanks for the info
Off to the cave now to do a bit (quite a sunny morning here, i best, make the most of it)
Chris

A bit more work done on the Wood duck, and a couple of things which have been on the go for a while, (which this thread has motivated me to get on with - thank you).
Any comments welcome, SE'Owl plumage patterns driving me nuts, wood duck background daren't touch at the moment (bird needs high lights putting in now, see how that makes a difference i suppose)
Otter has been on the go for ages, inspired by seeing them on Mull, have this idea of keeping it pretty dark except for a streak of light coming across from right to left.

Been dipping into everyones threads, sites and blogs etc really is inspiring and supportive plan to read some of them from there starts when time allows

Chris

Attachments

• seo.jpg
    seo.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Otter-.jpg
    Otter-.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 78
  • wood-dck.jpg
    wood-dck.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Mark,
Love the carving's particulary of the Ring Plover, Shoveller, used to work for a figurine company called Sherratt and Simpson who did quite a few Bird pieces so looking through your stuff brought back a few memories.
Regards
Chris

Hi Arthur,

Thanks, does Phil still own the garden, been meaning do a pheasant pic for a while now very inspirational sketches and work in the gallery

CHRIS

A couple of things i did digitally, vector drawing's using Illustrator, the Heron is more from imagination, the Little Grebe from photo ref's was more of an experiment in what i could achieve.

Chris

Attachments

• HERON-IN-REEDBED.jpg
    HERON-IN-REEDBED.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DABCHICK-&-REFLECTION.jpg
    DABCHICK-&-REFLECTION.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 86
A couple of things i did digitally, vector drawing's using Illustrator, the Heron is more from imagination, the Little Grebe from photo ref's was more of an experiment in what i could achieve.

Chris

beautiful finish on those vector drawings

we've had the occasional rash of Photoshop doings on here and there's much more Photoshop bird art about now, but these on Illustrator are really smart

Thanks Ed, Matt
Was hoping you'd have a look Ed as i've noticed you sometimes work digitally, great animation showing the leg positions on you site, and what a site, fantastic, stuff covering so much, where do find time.
Chris

Hi
Wood Duck nearly finished just a few more high lights i think, great incentive this forum to get things finished. Sorry its a bit blurry shot under artificial light,

Attachments

• Wood-Duck.jpg
    Wood-Duck.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 61
This is a painting a did quite a while ago, in fact quite a number of years, always bugged me the texture of the rocks and the foreground so with this new found energy going to revamp it, more moss to the surfaces and more effort to try capture the algae (pale bit). Any thoughts about it gladly welcomed as still a bit unsure about composition.

Attachments

• wildcat.jpg
    wildcat.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back