• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1972 West German 15x60 question (1 Viewer)

My Zeiss archival info says that generation has T coating, Zeiss's proprietary coating. That I believe means it is multi-coated.

I think T* is the West German Zeiss marking designating a multi-coated anti-reflection coating. The T marking is a Zeiss Jena marking for its first single layer coating (T = Transparenzbelag) often present on their WW II Kriegsmarine binoculars. It looks very much like Zeiss West Germany introduced their first multi-coating for binocular in 1978 (see Henry Link's comments: http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/522211-educate-me-on-vintageexpensive-wwii-binoculars/ ) so if Trancework's binocular was made in 1972 it would be single layer coated.

Frank

Last edited:
Hi,

yes, T coating means single, T* means multicoated. Both designations were mainly used by Zeiss Oberkochen, CZJ marked coated photo lenses with a T until 1956.

Joachim

My 15x60 c.1965 has single coatings on the objectives, prisms and eyepieces.
However, there is one uncoated surface in both eyepieces, which may or may not be due to the factory cleaning.

P.S.
It may be that the rear surfaces of the eyelenses is deliberately left uncoated.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back