Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New gull photo guide

Old Friday 12th January 2018, 11:57   #1
kb57

New gull photo guide

Just had notification of a new photo guide land in my inbox - due out February.

https://www.nhbs.com/gulls-of-the-wo...eid=fdf2f84a70
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 15:28   #2
MTem

Just pre-ordered. Need all the help I can get!
Mick

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th January 2018, 15:59   #3
Gladiator96

here's a review:

https://www.dutchbirding.nl/recensie...ographic_guide
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 19:13   #4
andyadcock

Not a Gull fan or of photo guides, I'll hold off until I see some further reviews

A
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 01:01   #5
birdmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Not a Gull fan or of photo guides, I'll hold off until I see some further reviews

A
Andy, I'm curious as to why you don't care for photo guides. I find both photos and illustrations to be helpful in their own way, with photos being particularly helpful in my seawatching guide. Illustrations can be nice because they don't have potentially distracting backgrounds. It's just the bird on a white background.

Of course, one good hour of poring over a field guide should be followed by three good hours of field time with an experienced observer!
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 17:12   #6
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmeister View Post
Andy, I'm curious as to why you don't care for photo guides. I find both photos and illustrations to be helpful in their own way, with photos being particularly helpful in my seawatching guide. Illustrations can be nice because they don't have potentially distracting backgrounds. It's just the bird on a white background.

Of course, one good hour of poring over a field guide should be followed by three good hours of field time with an experienced observer!
I don't think I'm alone in this?

Quite often, I think that illustrations are much better at highlighting very subtle ID features that are often almost impossible to catch in a photo.

It's probably different in Gulls, they're bigger for one thing and often a photo can catch a diagnostic feather arrangement or pattern. I must admit, when famous Gull watcher Killian Mullarney would write articles, accompanied by good photos, in Birding World, I could not fo the life of me, see the features he was alluding to in the text!

A
Old Saturday 20th January 2018, 01:14   #7
birdmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I don't think I'm alone in this?

Quite often, I think that illustrations are much better at highlighting very subtle ID features that are often almost impossible to catch in a photo.

It's probably different in Gulls, they're bigger for one thing and often a photo can catch a diagnostic feather arrangement or pattern. I must admit, when famous Gull watcher Killian Mullarney would write articles, accompanied by good photos, in Birding World, I could not fo the life of me, see the features he was alluding to in the text!

A

You're not alone at all. I know many people who really got into the Peterson Guides in the US. I thought they were very good, but I wasn't blown away by them.

As for gulls, I'm not trying my hand with them... yet. :)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: