• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

It's moved rapidly to Facebook and Twitter which now throws up much more discussion and finds.

Both are far easier and quicker for uploading images and commenting plus specific groups can be created such as 'Native British Orchids' and so on which serve the same purpose as these threads.

The one advantage of these forums, however, is that the posts are recorded in chronological order which isn't the case on Facebook because posts seem to be sorted by popularity.

Mike

Having set myself up with both Twitter and Facebook account, albeit not in my name, I thought I'd report back

Definitely plenty of useful information on Twitter, a couple of feeds worth looking at are Sean's @ukorchids, and the Ghost Orchid Project, @ghostorchiduk (I assume that yours Mike?). You can see the information on both of these from your home PC without having a Twitter account.

Lot of activity on Facebook as well but you have to have a Facebook account and join the group to see most of it. Lots of nice orchid pics to look at, you aren't limited to just 5.

Rich

Gfh

There are some decent populations of GFH near me, but in recent years they have had slug damage to a significant number of plants. Only a third or less succeed into flowering. But the dry spring seems to have reduced the numbers of slugs and this year most plants have good flower spikes with some starting to open.

Attachments

• awcp2017cgfh4.jpg
    awcp2017cgfh4.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 124
  • awcp2017cgfh1.jpg
    awcp2017cgfh1.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 129
Idiots and yobs

We went to Neumann's Flash, part of the Anderton Country Park at Northwich today. There are some nice mature Marsh Fragrant Orchids there, but unfortunately somr idiot thinks we should be deprived of them. He/she/they had walked through the birch scrub breaking off as many flower heads as possible. They were not picked fto put in a vase. They were just discarded on the floor.

Attachments

• ander2017vand.jpg
    ander2017vand.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 145
E. Dunensis

A visit to the Warwickshire E. dunensis site ( an amazing experience) has left me wondering about a number of things – firstly how did they get there – are there other sites we don’t know about between Solihul and Wrexham? I recon must be about 70 miles as the crow flies – and further to the north east. Would you expect some sort of corridor? What is the process of seed dispersal taking place?
Why did this site and the Wrexham one suddenly erupt or did we just not spot them?
Why does the E. dunensis like these hostile sites – it is noticeable how few other plants can stand the soil in the area where they are growing – the vegetation is very sparse – what is it in the soil that DH can ignore but other plants can’t ?
Is there some sort of link between their make-up and E Helleboris v. youngiana which also seems to survive on these calminarian sites?
Fascinating stuff

Attachments

• Dune H 1s.jpg
    Dune H 1s.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Dune H 3s.jpg
    Dune H 3s.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 120
A visit to the Warwickshire E. dunensis site ( an amazing experience) has left me wondering about a number of things – firstly how did they get there – are there other sites we don’t know about between Solihul and Wrexham? I recon must be about 70 miles as the crow flies – and further to the north east. Would you expect some sort of corridor? What is the process of seed dispersal taking place?
Why did this site and the Wrexham one suddenly erupt or did we just not spot them?
Why does the E. dunensis like these hostile sites – it is noticeable how few other plants can stand the soil in the area where they are growing – the vegetation is very sparse – what is it in the soil that DH can ignore but other plants can’t ?
Is there some sort of link between their make-up and E Helleboris v. youngiana which also seems to survive on these calminarian sites?
Fascinating stuff

I feel a connection here, living in Wrexham and having a childhood in Knowle.

The Wrexham site was known to have helleborines but I believe they were put as Broad-leaved. This was deciduous woodland not pine plantations next to coastal dunes.
There is a second Wrexham site some two miles away which may or may not be a satellite of the main population. I went there today and found 30+ in flower. But there were three thigh high plants in full view in open ground, Its not a part of the site as a whole that I have been previous to last year, but I just cannot see how other observers could have missed them.
I wouldnt say Dunes grow in hostile ground; more well drained. Perhaps other supposed BLH may turn out to be DH.
I must get to the Solihull site.

Attachments

• dunes.jpg
    dunes.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 124

I think I read somewhere that some of the industrial waste dumped there may have come from Merseyside, so maybe seed was transferred that way?

Hi FGRS, the hybrid was towards the top of the slope as you walk up the common from behind the pub to the cricket field. It was just to the right of the path that leads to the bend in the track where it leads into the cricket field itself. Vague, I know, but hope it helps
Jeff Hodgson

Found one straight away thanks!

Warwickshire DHs

Thanks fgrsimon - been doing some internet browsing - seems that when the site stopped being a quarry in 1975 was used as a fill site including furnace dross - which may well have come from the Wrexham / Merseyside areas
It also seems that the orchids were known previously but were misidentified as either green flowered or narrow lipped - at the time they must have been small semi-closed flowering plants - you would not make that mistake now
Philip

Attachments

• Dune H 2s.jpg
    Dune H 2s.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 120
Marsh Helleborine

I managed a couple of days away last week and went to Kenfig in filthy weather, a week or so too late to see the ovata at their best I’m afraid. There were however carpets of Marsh Helleborine.

I am unsure whether this is variant ochroleuca or albiflora. The latter completely lacks anthocyanin but the former still has some faint red striping in the cup. Is there really a difference? I’m tempted to say that they are one and the same, within the normal range of variation for the light form, but I will seek advice from ‘Leptochila’ who will sort me out. For now I’m calling it ‘ochroleuca’, as I think I can see faint red striping on the lip and in the cup.

Any views?
Jeff Hodgson

Attachments

• Marsh Helleborine ochroleuca.jpg
    Marsh Helleborine ochroleuca.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Marsh Helleborine ochroleuca floret.jpg
    Marsh Helleborine ochroleuca floret.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 128
Another request for help please, I'm heading up to Lindisfarne next Saturday 15th and could do with some help on where best to search for E sancta. I don't really want to be trampling through the dunes not knowing where to look. I've tried contacting the rangers by phone and email for the last few weeks but have had no response, so any help via PM would be most helpful.

Thanks again
Ben

Fragrants

Hi

Can someone have a look at these and confirm that they are Marsh Fragrants. The flowers seem to match that on all counts, but this population looks quite different to four other local MFO

thanks
Steve

Attachments

• mfo1.jpg
    mfo1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 103
  • mfo2.jpg
    mfo2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 121
Another request for help please, I'm heading up to Lindisfarne next Saturday 15th and could do with some help on where best to search for E sancta. I don't really want to be trampling through the dunes not knowing where to look. I've tried contacting the rangers by phone and email for the last few weeks but have had no response, so any help via PM would be most helpful.

Thanks again
Ben

I'm heading up that way the week after Ben. I may be a week too late but would appreciate the details also, or maybe you could pass them on to me if OK to do so Ben?

Also, if anyone has any info as to finding the inland, "Tyne" Dunes, I'd be grateful of a PM. I've got the two sites mentioned in Harrop but no idea how easy they are to find there.

Thanks,
Toby

Help with orchid ID please

Please can I have some help with this orchid ID. It was taken at Kenfig.

Thanks

Gareth

Attachments

• IMG_5287[1].jpg
    IMG_5287[1].jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5296[1].jpg
    IMG_5296[1].jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 121
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back