• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brightest & best 7x or 8x large objective binocular? (1 Viewer)

Acute

What is your recommendation for the brightest 7x or 8x large objective modern binocular available today at any price? Image quality and brightness are the main criteria.

What is your recommendation for the brightest 7x or 8x large objective modern binocular available today at any price? Image quality and brightness are the main criteria.

Hi, Acute:

And welcome to our little band of misfits.

Only you can define what a "large objective" means. To some, it's 42mm, to others it's 50mm, still others would say 80mm, 100mm, or larger.

All quality levels being equal, brightness is determined by the size of the unvignetted exit pupil that reaches your retina and several minor physical attributes along the optical train and is not determined by brand names, models, or AR coatings (although they play a part). I know some would say different. And that's okay; I wish the Easter Bunny was real, too. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Acute,

I think it might help if you explained the intended use. What magnification and objective size works best depends on what you are trying to observe, the available light, and includes the age of the user amongst other things.

David

Last edited:
For a 7x -- the Nikon WX.

Agreed
The most spectacular binocular I have ever viewed through, although it was only in an exhibition hall. A massive FOV (188 m @ 1000 m), excellent edge sharpness and good eye relief.
No good for birding though with IF, probably painful to hand hold with its 2,4 kg (the exhibition example was on a tripod) and excruciatingly painful in the wallet!

John

All quality levels being equal, brightness is determined by the size of the unvignetted exit pupil that reaches your retina and several minor physical attributes along the optical train and is not determined by brand names, models, or AR coatings (although they play a part). I know some would say different. And that's okay; I wish the Easter Bunny was real, too. :cat:

Bill
And this includes your own pupils. I’m under the impression that during the day when your pupils are small, using large objectives doesn’t result in increased brightness. And that pupils are often not at their maximum at night either.

Has anyone actually tested where the cutoff is for any benefit from larger objectives? I tried comparing my Monarch 8x42s with a friend’s 8x56s one evening, and couldn’t see much difference. Maybe I didn’t test carefully enough.

I vaguely remember someone saying that large objectives had another benefit besides brightness. Something to do with blackout?

Thank you for the useful input so far. I would use these for nocturnal animals, also including bats, owls, and a little astronomy etc.. and some daytime viewing. I am aware of the constraints of pupil dilation vs age and have studied the charts, and I am also familiar with many of the high end bins. I enjoy using large objective binoculars even in daylight, and when they exceed my dilation capabilities. Not for ideal for long hikes, of course, but I am covered for that. The slc 8x56 is excellent, but I was wondering if there is anything better now, or coming soon. My personal version of the ideal design for this application would be something like a 7x50 using AK prism with 95%+ transmission with the best possible glass and coatings, from Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica or Nikon, and made in Germany or Japan.

Thank you for the useful input so far. I would use these for nocturnal animals, also including bats, owls, and a little astronomy etc.. and some daytime viewing. I am aware of the constraints of pupil dilation vs age and have studied the charts, and I am also familiar with many of the high end bins. I enjoy using large objective binoculars even in daylight, and when they exceed my dilation capabilities. Not for ideal for long hikes, of course, but I am covered for that. The slc 8x56 is excellent, but I was wondering if there is anything better now, or coming soon. My personal version of the ideal design for this application would be something like a 7x50 using AK prism with 95%+ transmission with the best possible glass and coatings, from Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica or Nikon, and made in Germany or Japan.

For owls I have used Fujinon 10X70, but even with those it was a struggle when the birds were in the woods.

Acute,

Zeiss and Leica (Leitz) did some detailed studies on the use of binoculars in low light. I'm relying on Holger Merlitz's interpretation of the data, but they showed the benefit of higher power on target detectability and seeing detail in low and very low light. Providing the exit pupil wasn't smaller than the user's own pupil. So if you are young and your pupils still dilate to 7mm then, as Maljunulo suggests, his 10x70 will beat a 7x50, It might be great for roosting owls.... but it wouldn't be my choice for following bats in flight.

Bescides the obvious candidates from the major brands, I can think of one that might be worth considering. The Maven B2 7x45 has AK prisms I believe, a 6.3mm exit pupil and a claimed 93.6% transmission. I've never seen one, but the forum reports on the higher magnifications in particlar say they are excellent. https://mavenbuilt.com

David

I highly recommend if possible trying Zeiss Victory FL 8x56. They are truly superb optics. Very easy and relaxed view, huge sharp sweet spot. Only negative I see is astigmatism outside the huge sweet spot. I really want to compare my big FL's with the comparable Swaro's, hopefully soon!

Acute...Good luck on your quest for the brightest and best!!!

Markus

Last edited:
Acute,

As what David said, look for a 7X40-50, with central focus (CF). Maven and Optricon may be some of the few manufacturers producing 7X at the moment, along with Leica. I myself would be pleased with a Leica ultravid 7X42 HD or you could try to obtain a used Meopta 7X42 B1.

Andy W.

For a 7X, the 7X45, 6.4 EP, 388ft FOV, 18mm ER, 6.5ft CF, great priced Maven B2 Looks to be an awesome candidate.

For an 8X, you have more choices. But due to many positive comments and reviews (no personal experience), IMO I'd highly recommend the SLC 8X56!

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back