• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossley ID guide to waterfowl (1 Viewer)

This is a valid diversion IMO and one related to the target audience of said book.

It was me that started it by pointing out that the book is aimed at hunters and I still believe, that it's a cynical way to expand sales.

And yet the diversion is specifically related to hunting, singled out as off limits in the guidelines.

Many of the binoculars and spotting scopes used by birders are also marketed to hunters. Am guessing a wider market often means more favorable pricing.

Gary H

And don’t forget that I live in the raptor persecution capital of the UK. After 55 years of watching birds I don’t need to be lectured by hunters in the USA...ex or not!

In the past I’ve met gun holders on Pheasant shoots that thought shooting Sparrowhawks, Kestrels, and Buzzards was good fun!

And maybe this kind of response is exactly why this thread should have been stopped at the time when the word hunting appeared.

Niels

And yet the diversion is specifically related to hunting, singled out as off limits in the guidelines.

Many of the binoculars and spotting scopes used by birders are also marketed to hunters. Am guessing a wider market often means more favorable pricing.

Gary H

And I've had short shrift whan I've flagged adverts and offers on this site, for rifle scopes etc to mods so I'm sure a little 'hunter bashing' will be tolerated, as it should be.

Adverts such as this

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=355009

A

Last edited:
Okay guys. Let's move on from the hunting aspect in this thread. Remember, we are a birding forum, not a hunting forum.

Many years ago a hunter from the USA asked on the BF site what would be the best binoculars for hunting? My answer was “why don’t you ask your hunting buddies”.

This is a site for birdwatchers and any post with hunting in it should automatically be deleted. You should allow this to run as it’s not acceptable for anyone who shoots anything to appear here.

Many years ago a hunter from the USA asked on the BF site what would be the best binoculars for hunting? My answer was “why don’t you ask your hunting buddies”.

This is a site for birdwatchers and any post with hunting in it should automatically be deleted. You should allow this to run as it’s not acceptable for anyone who shoots anything to appear here.

What about the adverts, should they be allowed?

A

Whilst I don't have a leg in this disagreement - my impression is that the no hunting discussion rule (as well as the other subjects) is likely in place to avoid argument/fights between members on hot-button topics for this community as opposed to an outright ban on the concepts of hunting or falconry or the other topics.

Ergo the rifle scope ads are fine because they are simply tools not a discussion which has the potential to lead to members having arguments in public thus requiring moderator attention and running the risk of members falling out over drama.

I'd expect the restrictions (esp for falconry and caged birds) likely came around after periods of fighting/arguments on the site in the past. I know photography forums have similar rules restricting talk on things like digital vs film (although most have relaxed that somewhat as the fire has mostly gone out of that).

Whilst I don't have a leg in this disagreement - my impression is that the no hunting discussion rule (as well as the other subjects) is likely in place to avoid argument/fights between members on hot-button topics for this community as opposed to an outright ban on the concepts of hunting or falconry or the other topics.

Ergo the rifle scope ads are fine because they are simply tools not a discussion which has the potential to lead to members having arguments in public thus requiring moderator attention and running the risk of members falling out over drama.

I'd expect the restrictions (esp for falconry and caged birds) likely came around after periods of fighting/arguments on the site in the past. I know photography forums have similar rules restricting talk on things like digital vs film (although most have relaxed that somewhat as the fire has mostly gone out of that).

Have you been in 'Ruffled feathers'?

If the intention was to avoid heated arguments, then Ruffled Feathers wouldn't exist?

A

I thought Ruffled Feathers was just "off topic" as opposed to a brawl ;)

That said the topics of falconry, caged birds and hunting would not fit in off topic; they'd fit in everywhere else on the site in multiple sections very easily. And I'm sure many could be very civil discussions. However time has likely proved that they cause the kind of arguments that result in people getting very irate to the point where a single thread takes up significant moderator and admin time to sort out and likely results in behaviour that warrants suspensions/bans (esp in repeat offences).

Hence the likely reason to ban those topics. It's the same reason that many forums ban discussion on politics. The topic itself can be discussed, but people get passionate, opinionated and a fight breaks out. And when a specific topic does that over and over its much easier for the community to ban the topic than it is to allow it to continue and cause repeated division and conflict.

Of course argument and such still happen, but curbing repeat offending topics is better tahn continually curbing members ;)

Not in a position to give this full attention as I’m travelling at the moment, but I will answer all the complaints and pms later, in the meantime please stop insulting each other, because I have no Easter spirit and that for some of you is a bad thing.

Sent from iPhone

Not in a position to give this full attention as I’m travelling at the moment, but I will answer all the complaints and pms later, in the meantime please stop insulting each other, because I have no Easter spirit and that for some of you is a bad thing.

Sent from iPhone

I for one Steve, have insulted no one

A

Last edited:
They are a paying advertiser. Rather than some who patronize this Forum and don't offer any support.

Why don't you charge everyone a nominal fee with say 10 free posts as a trial?

I'm sure most regular users would be happy with a small charge levied, we'd also not be prone to snipes such as this. Also and despite the fact that even though not actually paying, many do contribute in a meanigful way on a regular basis making this an attractive destination for many. Simply being here in sufficient numbers, is enough to attract advertisers so everyone is contributing to a degree.

A

Last edited:
What about the adverts, should they be allowed?

A

Any advert that supports the hunting of wildlife should not be allowed, but there again I don’t pay the wages or make a donation (but I have in the past). I stopped my donations simply because of the support for hunting posts.

Birding and hunting do not exclude one another

I can't make the absolute distinction between hunters and birders. And as for hunters asking for advice about optics in a birders' forum, well, the opposite happens as well. Some of you might have wondered about my name on this forum. It actually comes from my very beginnings in using forums. And as it was, I was looking for optics (binoculars to be more precise), in an American hunters forum. (Birdforum was unknown to me then, and it may not even have existed yet.) Then, at some point, I felt like asking some specific questions. So I had to register, and I tried to find a name, using one's real name was not customary then. I did not want to let the forum members know that I was no hunter, but I did want to let them know that I was not living in the US. This led to my creating the name Swissboy. Swiss, because I live in Switzerland, and "boy" came from the cliché of US Americans who live in the countryside being put into connection with cowboys. So I figured the two parts would be a good compromise between what I wanted those forum members to know and what I wanted to disguise. I have since used this name for virtually all my forum and other memberships, at times with slight deviations like 2swissboy for my US eBay account.
Maybe, if I had told those forum members that I'm not a hunter they would have treated me with equal signs of disgust? :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back