• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this bird doing? (1 Viewer)

ReneeH3

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to put this thread! I know nothing about birds but yesterday morning I noticed that there was a bird sitting in a flower pot on my fire escape (I live in NYC). I don’t normally look out there so it could have been there before yesterday too. I thought it was nice to see some wildlife and went along my day, but then I noticed it didn’t leave the pot at all throughout the day. Today it is still there! It’s blinking and breathing and I noticed it has moved orientations within the pot. It doesn’t leave when I open my window and make noises at it. I cannot see any nest in the pot. Could it be injured and possibly dying? Or is it laying an egg or incubating one? Is there anything I should do?

Here is a picture - from some googling I believe it’s a mourning dove. Thanks all!!!!

https://pasteboard.co/HdAHmpu.jpg

Edit: fixed the url

Mourning Dove, sick or incubating as you suggest. My guess would be the latter. Mourning Doves often nest in such places and the 2 sexes share incubation duties so the eggs are always covered by one or other of the parents. That being said, if there were a nest, one would expect straw or other nesting material to poke out from under the bird, and I don't see that in the photo.

So, let us know how it comes out. . ..

Last edited:
Definitely incubating I would say, it seems to of found an ideal little nest site there ! leave it well alone and have fun observing its progress
Mark

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back