• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I going for my alpha roof 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Nice one Murmur. I must say that Meopta MeoStars and Kowa Genesis models are so close to alphas that they stunning value for money.

Lee

I have a Kowa 8x33 and FL 8x32 and they are very close in performance. The Zeiss might be a bit brighter but this aspect is hard to judge. They feel very different in the hand though with the Zeiss having a curvy body with chunky armour while the Kowa has smooth armour (not slippy) and cylindrical tubes. They really feel dramatically different to handle and I like them both. It would not be surprising to find different people have definite views about which they prefer because binos are not solely about the optics, and these two are close enough optically that choosing might well come down to how they feel. The Kowa's metal focus wheel is a neat touch and the Zeiss's chunky bars of rubber on the armour are reassuring in wet or cold weather.

If you have a Kowa Genesis 33 then you don't need a Zeiss FL, on the other hand if you try an FL you might like it more.

Lee

Thanks Lee and thanks Murmur, this is the information I wanted and needed when I started this thread and if we go back to the OP you can see I had that question and as this thread progressed it kept nagging at me that we hadn't addressed it. I really didn't know where my Kowa's fit in with the Alphas. I had a hunch but I needed some more verification. I don't care about the minor differences. I like the fit and feel of the Kowa very much. I might like the Zeiss a bit more but that's not what I was after. That's not enough for me to spend thousands of dollars on. This is good stuff IMO. I don't want to be chasing imaginary gold at the end of a rainbow. I do need a better 10x than I have. That's where I'll focus now.

If I ever were to try another 8x32 it would be the Swarovski but I don't see a real solid need at this time. I certainly Want to buy something new lol. That's what I've got to watch out for here.8-P

Last edited:
It would be difficult to translate this concept undiminished into a 32mm if only because there would need to be a reduction in the room for the fingers to give a decent size reduction and this would impact the balance. But if Zeiss make compromises they should be able to deliver SF performance in a more compact package.

Lee

Good points all around, and I must admit I left out the user with regard to scaling it down! We might need smaller hands to use it properly....

...where did I put those things...

-Bill

Hey, I want to thank everyone who's posted in this thread and helped me on working through my convoluted and sometimes clumsy attempt to get to where I want to go. No one even made fun of me and I appreciate that. :t: I also want to especially thank those who PMed me with some very sage advice and kind offers of help. This place truly rocks and I truly appreciate all of you fine folk who feel like friends to me. That includes everyone.

Yeah you are correct again. I think I got it down to the SV if I'm going to try anything at all now and I have to get one in hand to know. I'm going to check out my kowa against that Zeiss today and then decide if I really want to spend over two grand on something if it is mostly gotten with the Kowa. Several folk here have given me some pretty sound advice to be happy with the EII and the Kowa and don't go chasing the perfect binocular that likely doesn't exist and spending a lot to find that out.

I'm going to slow down and consider it carefully before trying the SV but it will be the SV if I'm going to try something unless some stellar deal came about on one of the the others. I may still get impressed by the Ultravid when it shows up. There seem to be a lot of demos available on them. That 10x was $650 off the usual full price.

...If I do buy anything now it will be the SV first. That is decided.

Good! I think that's the right choice. If you don't mind a bit more length, and you want the view sharp edge to edge, the SV is a no-brainer over the FL, and it has additional advantages of forgiving eye placement and longer eye-relief for potential future use with glasses.

The FL has a very flat field (center and edge reach focus synchronously) but it does not have good correction for off-axis astigmatism, so the view outside the central sweet spot is _not_ sharp, and it _cannot_ be brought into sharp focus. Very irritating to some users (like me!).

The SV is flat field _and_ very low astigmatism. Awesome!

The Ultravid has a curved field with low astigmatism, so the edge can be brought into sharp focus, but not at the same time as the center.

--AP

One thing I realized all of a sudden on my hike today with our temps approaching 90 degrees today is we are fast entering into our dry season when it's just not going to rain for almost 4 or 4 and a half months. I'm very happy with the performance of my non waterproof EII porros and their 466 ft fov, and so can wait to buy these SVs and hope I find a demo deal or a good condition used one for less than the full price. However I have pretty much decided to get it one way or another. I'll pay full price if necessary and I think it will be worth it. It gives me something very exciting to look forward to. I've never owned such an expensive and high quality binocular. Kind of a dream come true thingy.

Last edited:
OK friends I just ordered the Swaro EL 8x32. I know I said I was going to wait but special circumstances made me jump at the purchase.

Last edited:
I for one, am very excited for you after reading the whole saga of your exploration of these marvelous instruments.

I very much look forward to reading your reactions to having your very own alpha plus, as you make it a part of your life.

You will constantly be amazed at how little you could see without them. (or how poorly, depending on your viewpoint)

I don't know that you'll see anything that you couldn't with other good bins that you have, but it's a calming pleasure to have an instrument that just always does what you expect it should (good in the hands, beautiful easy view, good "hang", well built, nice design). With the best bins, every time I pick them up, I think "Hey, that's nice!" and just go on to enjoy their use without the distraction of assembly flaws or planned compromise design deficiencies. I hope you find the 8x32 SV to be such a bin.

--AP

I don't know that you'll see anything that you couldn't with other good bins that you have, but it's a calming pleasure to have an instrument that just always does what you expect it should (good in the hands, beautiful easy view, good "hang", well built, nice design). With the best bins, every time I pick them up, I think "Hey, that's nice!" and just go on to enjoy their use without the distraction of assembly flaws or planned compromise design deficiencies. I hope you find the 8x32 SV to be such a bin.

--AP

That's what it's all about, I think. I've used 32 and 42 SV's for many years. I just grab and go. The other 8 binos I have sort of lay around. Most are very good, but they don't get used much.

That's what it's all about, I think. I've used 32 and 42 SV's for many years. I just grab and go. The other 8 binos I have sort of lay around. Most are very good, but they don't get used much.

Ah, the neglected family that grows while one is figuring out what works best, through extended use and comparison.

It is nice to have some extras that you know will work for you, that others can use when you take friends and family out to bird. Then there's the travel bin.... and the backup for when your main bin goes on the fritz... etc.

Just part of my lengthy list of justifications....

Earlier this year when I'd get home from work in the light before sunset, I'd grab my Leica 7x42 Ultravid BR's, and go look at birds across the street on the hill for a few minutes, as the shadows crept up, all the while thinking, these Leicas sure have such warm, rich colors...

Utterly delusional, but fun nonetheless.

-Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back