• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inexpensive 420-800mm telephoto lenes (1 Viewer)

Andonso

After looking around on eBay for a telephoto lens, my current budget for lenses doesn't cover a good telephoto lens for nature photography, preferably 800mm , at a min 400mm.

However I did come across some inexpensive Made in China 420-800mm (all manual) telephoto lenses, starting at around ~$100.00.

Anyone have any experience with these lenses? Appear to use a 4 Elements in 2 groups lens design? Appear to require good enough light at F8.3-F16 and need to be very stationary using a tripod?

Worth ~$100.00?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2wgAAOSwUKxYYdoF/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zykAAOSwo4pYYdoT/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gL4AAOSw2xRYYdoV/s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Last edited:
The problem I'm having e.g. with birds such as Eagles along the ocean beach are able to detect you coming from a mile away. It becomes very difficult or next to impossibly to get close enough with a 200 to 300mm lens.

I've been able to sometimes get close enough to take shots such as e.g.

Attachments

• DSC_6752.jpg
    DSC_6752.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
They cost around $100 for a reason.......nobody wants to buy them.To get any sort of image quality out of these lenses you would have to be at the closest focusing distance of the lens to the subject which defeats the object of why you want this type of lens in the first place.
I would save up for a secondhand prime lens with a converter,even the cheaper primes with a converter will give you much better image quality than these cheap chinese items.
I'm afraid the old saying of "you get what you pay for" is certainly accurate in relation to these lenses.

Ok so you're saying I need a prime lens with a converter?

My current lenses are

AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II Zoom Lens
Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro

I could use one of the above lenses with a teleconverter?

What sort of teleconverter should I look for?

My DSLR is a Nikon D80.

I've been out of photography since the 1970's when I owned a Nikon F2 and a dark room. In those days did not do much in the way of nature photography nor did I have any very long lenses back when everything was captured manually on film.

The lenses you list will not work with converters at all or very poorly, although as bird photographers we talk about long lenses and reach if you are too far away atmospheric dust ect will spoil your images.
I know its no good suggesting lenses you cant justify spending on but i would give a serious look at the Sigma or Tamron 150-600s.

A D80 i I s probably not going to auto-focus with a TC on a slow lens. If I remember you only have one focus point at f8 and a TC on a 6.3 lens will have you on shaky ground. I would fist look at a camera upgrade maybe a recon D7100 or 7200 much better auto-focus and then think about a 150-600 The Tameron G1's are very cheap right now. Unfortunately birds especially birds in flight takes money and a 7100 and a Tameron G1 is about as cheap as it gets. The G1 is not designed to work with TC's so if you think your going to need more than 900 m you want to look at the G2.
Steve

A longer lens will help but they're never long enough. Also think about working on your "hunting" skills. Dress appropriately. Move slowly. Learn the habits of your prey. Find a place where the eagles are feeding and wait. Waiting for the bird to come to you often works best.

I've only had the D80 since around late December 2017. It's my first DSLR and never have done any digital photography in the past other with using a Canon 3.x Powershot to post some photos for forums or to place something for sale.

However I was into film photography back in the 1970s when I purchased a Nikon F2 for $500.00, plus I also used a Leica M and had my own dark room next to a beach on an Island where I grew up. Was a wonderful place with all sorts of wildlife including Bald Eagles that use to nest near-by in some very tall old growth trees.

I probably need to upgrade the Nikon body. The D80 an entry level DSLR only has 11 focus points whereas many other DSLRs have around 50. I'm uncertain how much I could get to the D80 body. It hasn't been used much mostly sitting unused in storage. Has less than a 1400 shutter count.

Anyway I'm interested in getting either a used G1 or a new G2. I've been reading about some differences between the two versions but am currently undecided.

Last edited:
Your D80 will be ok with single center focus point, i used that for everything, your wise to go for the 150-600 as it has stabilization built in whereas older lenses like the 200-500 don't.

I'm still undecided about the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC

I'm trying to decide if I should go for a new G2 or a used G1?

The G2 (A022) has significant improvements over the G1 (A011).

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6044873650/tamron-announces-2nd-generation-sp-150-600mm-di-vc-usd-g2

The G2 used has sold on eBay for a min. of $760.00. Can be found new as little as $929.00 with shipping.

However the G1 has sold used for as little as $349.00 with shipping. A $411.00 difference for used cost.

I have had the G1 but not the 2, i was one of the first with that lens and i did have trouble with it,it would stop focusing and need the camera switched off and on to sort it, at first everyone thought i was wrong then more owners started having the problem.
It was a very sharp lens but i dont think i would buy one secondhand i would want the Tamron warranty on it,

I bought my G1 second hand. I have the same problem with the focus on occasion. The G1 is also infamous for dust collection, which mine is also guilty of. I called Tamron for a cleaning and was quoted $250. Which is about what I saved buying second hand. Cleaning would be free on warranty if I was the original owner. Buy new if you possibly can.

Tamron is offering a $100.00 rebate for purchases of the G2 lens made between 12/31/18 - 3/3/18.

However the purchase must be made from an authorized Tamron USA dealer. Equipment must be an Official Tamron USA new product with a 6 year USA warranty (gray market products do not qualify for rebates).

Rebate form with rebate rules & details http://www.tamron-usa.com/product/lenses/pdfs/rebates/Rebate_dec31-mar3_2018.pdf

You would need to determine if where you make a purchase of a Tamron lens whether the seller qualifies as an authorized Tamron USA dealer

I found several sites with lower prices however I'm uncertain if these sellers qualify as an authorized Tamron USA dealer.

eglobal central https://www.eglobalcentral.com/tamr...mm-f-5-6.3-di-vc-usd-g2-for-nikon-f-a022.html

With Valentine Day discount total $954.52 and if qualifies for Tamron rebate total cost would be $854.52

Also an eBay seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292197000522

However I'm uncertain if the above sellers qualify as authorized Tamron USA dealers.

All the G2 lens version I've looked at sold by authorized Tamron USA Dealers run around ~$1400.00.

The same Sigma lens I've seen as low as $989.00, sold by a Sigma Authorized Dealer. Seems like a good choice for the price.

At this point I'm not going to consider a Tamron G2 from an Tamron Authorized dealer unless I'm able to find a lens at a more reasonable price.

Grey market G2 lenses are approx. $400.00 less. (usually carry a 2 year warranty from the seller's company)

e.g. email from CS1 - Sales & Support (eGlobaL Central US)

"With regard to your inquiry. Please be kindly informed, that all our products are imported goods and will not come with manufacturer's warranty, but instead we will cover the warranty through our own company. eGlobal covers limited warranty of 24-month on our cameras and lenses, and 12-month on all other products, and 30 days warranty on batteries. The goods need to be sent to Hong Kong center \under our warranty service. To find out more, please visit: http://www.eglobalcentral.com/warranty-policy.html"

Essentially the grey market warranties I've looked at so far are the same Tamrons but only shorter and you would need to return warranty items back to China instead of an authorized Tamron USA Dealer (same place as where you made the purchase) or Tamron warranty service in New York.

I guess if you think you need the Tamrons six year warranty, then go with a Tamron Authorized dealer and pay the additional ~$400.00 for the Tamron Warranty.

I read that Tamron does have different plants in different countries, so it's possible USA Tamron Dealers get their lenses from a particular Tamron plant?

Tamron’s interchangeable lenses include those with the words MADE IN JAPAN, MADE IN CHINA or MADE IN VIETNAM stamped on them. They show the place of production and the name of the country where each lens was assembled, completed and shipped from.

In other words, Tamron has lens-producing plants in the three countries of Japan, China and Vietnam, which assemble and ship the products.

Tamron Co., Ltd. (株式会社タムロン Kabushiki-gaisha Tamuron) is a Japanese company manufacturing photographic lenses, optical components and commercial/industrial-use optics. Tamron Headquarters is located in Saitama City in the Saitama Prefecture of Japan.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back