• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you Leica's do this? (1 Viewer)

Hi Guys,

New birder here :) I bought bins last Friday, and spotted my first 6 birds on the weekend.:king: Absolutely wrapped, although very green.

Just wondering if you guys can set my mind at ease with a minor issue. My binos (Leica Trinovid HD 8x42) have a metal part under the focus wheel which rotates freely left and right and makes a clicking sound (pictured). Do you Leica's do the same? Considering if I need to do a swap out or not.Perhaps its totally normal and yours do the same, I am very green after all:-O

Higher res image :
https://i.ibb.co/YcHB4J8/IMG-0176-lowres.png

Thank you kindly,

BirdingTom

Attachments

• IMG_0176_really_low_res.png
    IMG_0176_really_low_res.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 205
I'm afraid something's wrong, BirdingTom. Here's the underview of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 177
I'm afraid something's wrong, BirdingTom. Here's the underview of mine.

|:S| Oh no! Back to the store for me. Appreciate you guys both checking.

Just to confirm, the dust baffle just stays in place for you guys? Doesn’t turn with the focus wheel at all? Just making sure I tell the store the right thing. :t:

Thanks again,

BirdingTom

No, the baffle does not turn on mine. Nothing but the focus wheel turns. Did you purchase them new?

No, the baffle does not turn on mine. Nothing but the focus wheel turns. Did you purchase them new?

Yep sure did. I returned them to the store who offered to replace them. Unfortunately they didn’t have any Trinovid’s in stock and sold me Ultravid HD Plus’s at a (much) higher price instead.

Pretty happy with them overall. Must say the focus no where near as glassy smooth as the Trinovids, which was weird to me considering they are twice the price. I think the Ultravid’s have a lubricant-free focus over the Trinovids.

BirdingTom

Correct (and you will like it a lot at the South Pole at -45 Celsius ;))

3:)I suspect I will have bigger concerns at -45c.

Slightly off topic at this point, but warranted. I’m concerned I’m becoming a Binophile (is that a thing?). Noticed buildings were bending around the edges. Did my own research and learnt about the globe effect and added pincushion distortion. Fascinating stuff!

I’m concerned I’m becoming a Binophile (is that a thing?). Noticed buildings were bending around the edges. Did my own research and learnt about the globe effect and added pincushion distortion. Fascinating stuff!
Welcome to the thing. There are few straight lines in nature apart from the horizon, but many people have strong opinions about panning behavior. Try a bino with a lot of pincusion (e.g. Leica) alongside another with little (e.g. Swaro) and see how you get on. My own preference is for mild pincushion as in my SLC 56 (and the Trinovid BR, as the exception among Leicas) but they all work for me.

3:)I suspect I will have bigger concerns at -45c.

Slightly off topic at this point, but warranted. I’m concerned I’m becoming a Binophile (is that a thing?). Noticed buildings were bending around the edges. Did my own research and learnt about the globe effect and added pincushion distortion. Fascinating stuff!

Tom, now don't try to see things with your binoculars. Just pick them up and use them.

Both models you mention are very good, Leica's have some distortion, and no
globe effect.
If your dealer just exchanged your Trinovid for the Ultravid, I think you placed a great bargain.

Keep posting, and welcome to Birdforum.

Jerry

Tom, now don't try to see things with your binoculars. Just pick them up and use them.

Both models you mention are very good, Leica's have some distortion, and no
globe effect.
If your dealer just exchanged your Trinovid for the Ultravid, I think you placed a great bargain.

Keep posting, and welcome to Birdforum.

Jerry

Sound advice Jerry:t: I think many of us (myself included) have the tendency to over analyse items, especially when we pay a lot for them. Often only leading to disappointment. Best to just use things and enjoy them.:eat:

P.S. I'm afraid I had to pay the difference between the models. If only I could be lucky enough not to. All up I paid just under $2k USD for the Ultravid HD Plus. Which didn't seem too unreasonable.

Welcome to the thing. There are few straight lines in nature apart from the horizon, but many people have strong opinions about panning behavior. Try a bino with a lot of pincusion (e.g. Leica) alongside another with little (e.g. Swaro) and see how you get on. My own preference is for mild pincushion as in my SLC 56 (and the Trinovid BR, as the exception among Leicas) but they all work for me.

Very interesting you mentioned that Tenex. I found unnoticable pincushion on the Trinovid's, exactly as you observed. I quite liked it that way. Much of the muchness though. It's a compromise in either direction from what I've read up on the Globe effect. I think in the interest of sanity (and not owning 10 sets of binos) I'll take NDhunter's advice and not look too much into it.

BT, I was actually talking about the Trinovid BR model (2012-15) preceding the HD you tried, whose reduced pincushioning I thought was an experiment they abandoned. But if the HD models (which I haven't used) are like that too, maybe they went with it after all, and the problem with the BR was just its price point. In any case, you've seen the difference I mentioned then, the UVHD+ is a great one to end up with (the 10x32 is my daily bino), and I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.

Last edited:
Sound advice Jerry:t: I think many of us (myself included) have the tendency to over analyse items, especially when we pay a lot for them. Often only leading to disappointment. Best to just use things and enjoy them.:eat:

Wiser than you may even realize. Keep that in mind when you read the binoculars forum here.

Added: Those Ultravid HD+ are absolutely world class bins in every respect and a good choice IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, appreciate the purchase reassurance:t: Just picked up two books on birds in Australia 🇦🇺 and downloaded eBird. Ready for my next extreme sport - birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back