Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Weird Brewer's Blackbird or Common Grackle in California

Old Monday 20th April 2020, 03:06   #1
woodpeckerwatcher

Weird Brewer's Blackbird or Common Grackle in California

Hello all

Earlier today I was down near the Sherman Island county park in Rio Vista, California looking for shorebirds and gulls and saw a interesting looking large blackbird. I snapped a few shots of it then decided it was just a Brewer's Blackbird before going back to looking for shorebirds.

When I returned home I was looking through my photos and saw the blackbird photos and decided to do a little research. It led to me not being able to decide if it was a Brewer's Blackbird, a small Great Tailed Grackle without a long tail, or Common Grackle.

The bird was around the size of a robin which is what led to my attention in the beginning. It was walking along some pads in the water foraging in them.

trying to identify this bird led me to here https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=57753 which is what led me to bird forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RSCN7333_04-19-2020 13-11.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	724574  Click image for larger version

Name:	resized black bird.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	724575  Click image for larger version

Name:	resized black bird 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	724576  
Old Monday 20th April 2020, 11:08   #2
Microtus

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Those pictures look like Brewer's Blackbird to me.
Old Monday 20th April 2020, 16:15   #3
rkj

The bill looks relatively large for a Brewer's Blackbird, but I think it is within range for the species. The rest of the bird looks just right for a Brewer's and wrong for anything else.
Old Monday 20th April 2020, 17:02   #4
woodpeckerwatcher

Sounds like it's a brewers blackbird, guess that I need to review the easy birds again.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: