• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid 8X42 Killed Purchase (1 Viewer)

dwever

Today I went to the Anchorage Bass Pro as the Swaro EL 8.5X42 has been dropped to $2,149 and they had them in stock. Everyone else in Alaska seems to only carry the EL 10X42. Respectfully, to me the Swaro’s were not as crisp, as bright, or as warm/saturated. And, the focus wheel had more resistance in one direction than in the other, although there was no slop.

I’m not here to bash the Swaro’s as the EL has had many spectacular reviews e.g. Albino’s, and people swear by them which is why I was interested in the first place. But I did hold off on the purchase.

I’m just wondering if I saw a bad sample? If I simply prefer the features of the NVD’s. Or if my impressions are typical of NVD owners? Wait for the Swaro NL’s? I know this is a bit of a Swaro post, but I didn’t want to go over there and cause trouble with an honest question; and many of of you have or are familiar with both.

I’m starting to regret selling my NVD’s.

Attachments

• 9F6B4226-F666-49DA-AE52-6ABE18BA3DFE.jpg
    9F6B4226-F666-49DA-AE52-6ABE18BA3DFE.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Today I went to the Anchorage Bass Pro as the Swaro EL 8.5X42 has been dropped to $2,149 and they had them in stock. Everyone else in Alaska seems to only carry the EL 10X42. Respectfully, to me the Swaro’s were not as crisp, as bright, or as warm/saturated. And, the focus wheel had more resistance in one direction than in the other, although there was no slop.

I’m not here to bash the Swaro’s as the EL has had many spectacular reviews e.g. Albino’s, and people swear by them which is why I was interested in the first place. But I did hold off on the purchase.

I’m just wondering if I saw a bad sample? If I simply prefer the features of the NVD’s. Or if my impressions are typical of NVD owners? Wait for the Swaro NL’s? I know this is a bit of a Swaro post, but I didn’t want to go over there and cause trouble with an honest question; and many of of you have or are familiar with both.

My impression of the EL 8.5x42 compared to the NV was similar to yours regarding warm/saturated (and was as I had expected given that the Leica's are generally accepted as having slightly warm/saturated colours - which I like), but I thought that they were as crisp - and all the way to the edges of course. My NV's are 10x so I didn't notice anything regarding brightness. I also didn't notice anything about the focuser which I thought was fine but not as good as the NV.

I was genuinely interested in the Swaro EL 8.5x42 to compliment my Leica 7x42 UVHD+ and my 10x42 NV, but the dreaded rolling ball effect (which I simply couldn't tolerate) saved me a lot of money! ;)

I owned the 8.5xSV for over 3 years and it served me well, the exit pupil would be a little smaller than the NV, so this may have been visible in brightness terms, the focus on my example was without complaint but it`s never as good as the NV or SF, but I find the NV too sharp, too contrasty and with visible red CA most of the time and I`m not a fan of the ergo`s, but I can see its appeal to many users.

I`m concerned from what I`m reading about the NL`s that I`m going to find them too high in contrast for my liking, trying the SF when looking at high contrast subjects was a game changer for me.

Like you regret selling the NV I don`t want to do the same with the SF, they just work for me.

Hi Dwever,

You didn't had a bad sample because of how the focus wheel worked in both directions. The focus lens is connected to a spring which goes in and out, depending on the focussing and that is what you feel. It goes with the EL.
I can't remember feeling the same thing with the NL, but I'll check.
Like you said it. Everybody in Alaska seems to walk with the EL 10x42. There has to be a reason for itB :)

Jan

You didn't had a bad sample because of how the focus wheel worked in both directions. The focus lens is connected to a spring which goes in and out, depending on the focussing and that is what you feel. It goes with the EL.

Swarovski have often been knocked for the feel this spring produces, but my SV`s never suffered from a creeping diopter like other integrated systems I`v owned have.

Maybe that`s why the NL has a separate diopter to counter the criticism of their focus wheels.

Mike F, post 2,
The image impression differences between the EL and the Noctivid can directly read from the measured transmission spectra. Leica has chosen to make transmission in the red a tiny bit higher than in blue (generating a warmer image impression), whereas Swarovski tries to generate a fully color neutral image, as shown by the almost flat transmission spectrum over a large wavelenght range.
Gijs van Ginkel

Mike F, post 2,
The image impression differences between the EL and the Noctivid can directly read from the measured transmission spectra. Leica has chosen to make transmission in the red a tiny bit higher than in blue (generating a warmer image impression), whereas Swarovski tries to generate a fully color neutral image, as shown by the almost flat transmission spectrum over a large wavelenght range.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks Gijs, that's what I've understood from before, but I'm glad that you've restated the specific facts. I'm not saying that the Leica is better with regard to colour rendition, only that I prefer it. B :)

Mike F, post 8,
It is indeed not a matter of having a better color rendition, but more a choice how the maker=Leica wants the user to prefer the image and that is in this case a slightly warmer image representation while not affecting the overall color representation.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello Torview,

Could you please explain what you meant?

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi Arthur,

just going by the pictures it does`nt seem the diopter has to be engaged for adjustment by pulling out the focus wheel like in the EL, UV, FL etc.

Looks like it can be turned at any time if required the same as if it was on the eye piece.

John.

Why did you sell the Noctivids?

NV:s and EL:s have different strengths, but none of them are perfect bins IMO.

I would wait and check out the NL:s. If the glare/flare resistance as well as contrast is improved I think they look promising. Larger FOV, better ergonomics and faster focuser are all nice features.

Leica has a highly saturated image that seems to make reds and browns 'pop' to my eyes. That said, I prefer the the more neutral view of the SV EL.
The differential tension in the focus of the SV EL seems overblown for sure. I can sort of feel it when I'm looking specifically for it, but in the field I've never noticed it.

Justin

I owned the 8.5xSV for over 3 years and it served me well, the exit pupil would be a little smaller than the NV, so this may have been visible in brightness terms, the focus on my example was without complaint but it`s never as good as the NV or SF, but I find the NV too sharp, too contrasty and with visible red CA most of the time and I`m not a fan of the ergo`s, but I can see its appeal to many users.

I`m concerned from what I`m reading about the NL`s that I`m going to find them too high in contrast for my liking, trying the SF when looking at high contrast subjects was a game changer for me.

Like you regret selling the NV I don`t want to do the same with the SF, they just work for me.

I agree NL may have edge contrast too high for comfort for some
people based on the early reviews. Not everyone wants or needs a hyper sharp image. My first pair of eyeglasses were too sharp for comfort. My eye guy adjusted them and it was much more comfortable.

Some need to keep pushing the technology but , for me, Ultravid, FL, EL have more than sufficient resolution and edge contrast. My original CL 8x30 isn't as sharp as the above mentioned but I find its gentler view comfortable and colors very pleasing.

I had to buy a new TV last year and I got the last 720p on the shelf
- same quality as my old one. 2 people asked me why I didn't get a 1080p and one friend was perplexed at my choice. This tv is a better brand than my old one and the colors and resolution seem better. It's only 28 inches and the same person considered this another perplexing choice. I don't like or need a huge tv.

Last edited:
just going by the pictures it does`nt seem the diopter has to be engaged for adjustment by pulling out the focus wheel like in the EL, UV, FL etc.

Looks like it can be turned at any time if required the same as if it was on the eye piece.

The dioptre setting of the NL provides independent movement of the focussing lens in the right barrel. The pull-out dioptre setting of the EL disengages the focuser from the focussing lens of the left barrel.

As Jan pointed out, the difference in clockwise/anticlockwise torque on Swarovski binoculars is due to the sprung preloading of the focussing lenses, which IMO is a small price to pay for synchronous movement and lack of dioptre shift.

I was playing about yesterday with my binoculars on a tripod. I usually wear glasses, so have my dioptres set to zero. Viewed through a 3x12 Zeiss monocular the focus in left and right barrels of both Swarovskis was identical. On a third binocular (incidentally, otherwise a favourite of yours and mine, John) there was, not for the first time, a small shift of 1/2 on an unspecified scale.

John

Why did you sell the Noctivids?

If I may answer whilst it is the middle of the night.
He had not used them for a while, preferring to use a Zeiss Victory RF instead. Had praised the Noctivids since purchase. So sold them here on BF.

Last edited:
Perhaps we reach for the one that fits, in this case the view through the Noctivid (NV). Face it not everyone is going to rave over the view of the SV, yes it is a nice view but like the OP feels the regret of the selling the NV because he likely prefers the view to the SV.
We will all get a chance/opportunity to view the New NLs when they arrive, but face it not everyone will say sell everything and get the NLs.

Andy W.

The Swarovision just doesn't work for me (rolling ball), and I do prefer the warmer color rendition of Leica. To my eyes, the 8x42 Noctivid and 7x42 Ultravid are the two finest binoculars I've ever looked through. I also prefer Leica's robust build and focus wheel.

I've owned and spent a fair bit of time behind various Swarovski's. They're good binoculars. If you're not affected by RB I understand their merits. However, I firmly prefer Leica's.

Perhaps we reach for the one that fits, in this case the view through the Noctivid (NV). Face it not everyone is going to rave over the view of the SV, yes it is a nice view but like the OP feels the regret of the selling the NV because he likely prefers the view to the SV.
We will all get a chance/opportunity to view the New NLs when they arrive, but face it not everyone will say sell everything and get the NLs.

Andy W.

Yep, the different brands and models would not exist at the same price points if there was one 'best' option for everyone. I think all of the various models have their pros and cons for different users when compared to other models - even some of the older alphas have things I prefer over the newer, improved models.

As an example, the forward positioning of the focus knob as found on the SF, HT, and NL contrasts my preferred method of holding binoculars (Alexis Powell posted a thread on how he holds the Swarovski EL 42 model and this is the same grip I've used since I bough my first high quality 42mm), and is actually less intuitive for me. But, I also like the extremely wide fields of the SF and NL, and am somewhat intrigued by the 'headrest' of the NL (given my positive experience with Image Stabilized binoculars).

Justin

Nothing new under the sun in this thread. Some binoculars "fit" certain people and their criteria better than other binoculars.

Justin, with the amount of glass you have handled you will likely adapt to the NL quite easily. Now the question is which NL, the 8X42 or the 10X42?

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back