• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica 15x which one (1 Viewer)

handwerk

Kind of an odd question for you folks but I wasn't sure where else to turn as I don't live near a Leica dealer.
I have a chance to buy either a used duovid 10x-15x or a demo geovid 15x56R for around $1500
I'm not too concerned about the ranging of the geovid, but more the optical performance at 15x of these binoculars, they will be used on a tripod. I realize the exit pupil difference. I've researched the differences on paper, just looking for some in the field experience

thanks for any input/advice.

You 've already used your Geovids for hunting purposes https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=4032693&postcount=7 so you should have a very good idea of their general performance whilst also had a few responses regarding Duovid performance and upgrades.

If you're not bothered about the range finding side of things then a dedicated x 15 on a 56mm should return a decent view I would have thought.

If I wasn't concerned about the range-finding capability of the Geovid and wanted a 15X binocular I wouldn't get either. I probably get something like a Conquest HD 15X56 or SLC 15X56.

It is not easy to get the full measure of any 15x glass performance, shake and arm fatigue set in too quickly. That said, the initial view is pretty special.

On that basis, the Duovid would likely be more useful, use the lower power to scan and the high end to scrutinize.

If I wasn't concerned about the range-finding capability of the Geovid and wanted a 15X binocular I wouldn't get either. I probably get something like a Conquest HD 15X56 or SLC 15X56.

Chuck:
I agree, these 2 options are not important if looking for a quality 15X binocular.
Leica does not make a solely 15X binocular, and for just optics there are other better choices.
So, if looking for a quality 15X binocular, the top is Swarovski SLC 15x56 HD, the SLC Neu, Meopta Meostar HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, and for a value choice the Nikon Monarch 5, 16x56.
I have some experience with most all of these. I own the last 4 mentioned.;)

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back