• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for very long distances. (1 Viewer)

Seaspirit, So why do they say that the P900 camera has 83X optical zoom?
/QUOTE]

Well, the question is 83x of what? On its own 83 x is an impressive number, but essentially a meaningless marketing trick (like the "digital zoom, aka in camera image cropping)!

The over the thumb rule assumes that 50 mm focal length on a full-frame (24x36mm) camera shows approx. what our unaided eye sees. Thus a 500 mm lens on a full frame camera shows a 10x magnified image in the viewfinder/frame, whereas a 24 mm shows a wider field of view than we see with our eye (~0.5x, the reason we call those wide-angle lenses).

For the P900 the specs state: lens 4.3 mm -357 mm, i.e. an angle of view equivalent to that of 24 mm -2000 mm lens in 35mm (i.e. full frame) format).
So the marketing folks start their multiplication with the widest focal length of the zoom (83 x 24 mm), not with the 50 mm eye equivalent.

If usable a focal length of 2000 mm is pretty impressive, but "only" 40x.

Hi
well étudiant et Seaspirit have provided an excellent summary

so i can just give my "user" opinion after a couple of weeks of using the P900 in the field
Beautiful dry weather Plenty of sunshine...

I like using it having it with me but would prefer my Kowa for "serious" observation

have fun
B

Hi Pluton. You will never get an image through the P900's viewfinder as clear as you will get with a scope. If you are not in to photography and just want to use it to view wildlife, I would stick with a scope. However if you want to photograph the moon, see the attached photo. But the P900's viewfinder is just not good enough for finding low light objects in the night sky. Having said all that, I love my P900.

Attachments

• The Moon 06 04 2020.jpg
    The Moon 06 04 2020.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 34
Hi,
Really, what interests me is to have a good instrument with which I can reach high magnifications, more than those provided with a spotting scope, which are 60X as the maximum limit, but I would not use the viewfinder to locate and visualize the object. or animal but the 3 "screen of the camera, I have seen photos of distant birds or even very very distant planes and they have seemed very good to me ..

Have you looked at the screen of a camera while out and about? very frequently there is so much glare that the viewfinder is a much better look. I do not know the nikons, but often there are higher resolution on the viewfinder than the screen.

Second problem is holding a camera still when using long reach and not have one end anchored at your head (because you are looking into the viewfinder).

Niels

Have you looked at the screen of a camera while out and about? very frequently there is so much glare that the viewfinder is a much better look. I do not know the nikons, but often there are higher resolution on the viewfinder than the screen.

Second problem is holding a camera still when using long reach and not have one end anchored at your head (because you are looking into the viewfinder).

Niels

that is exactly it :)

when you can use the screen and a tripod it is ok if ... the subject doesn't move

this evening I was trying to photograph a stern that was on a post maybe 500m away

I gave up with the Coolpix and went for my low quality phone adapted to my scope

hth
BM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back