• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hedgehogs in the garden. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All.
For the first time in about eight years I have not seen any signs of Hedgehogs in my garden, and I've only seen one road-kill which is very unusual. Is this the same wherever you are?

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Baz,
Our resident Hedgehog seems to have disappeared, and although I hadn't thought about before your post, I can't recall that many roadkills either.
George

Sorry Baz but we saw so many road kills at the weekend that we both commented on the amount of them!:-C
"Mine" is still about tho as he leaves little parcels around the garden as evidence!;)

Baz, I haven't seen Hedgehogs in my garden for years and years. Never taking them for granted, I wasn't surprised to see them and always got excited when they came. One year I accidentally disturbed a hibernating Hedgehog, and did I get told off! Herrumph!! And there was one summer when they left rather a lot of fleas dancing and jumping around outside our shed. They decided to jump up my legs, but despite this I always welcomed them to my abode. To have mammals in the garden was a wonder for me.
Then, and I don't remember when exactly, they stopped coming. I miss them.
After this dearth of Hedgehogs I read that they were becoming scarce, so it wasn't just me.Then I saw them mentioned again only the other day.
And road kills; I remember always seeing lots of them, but now not so many. I see more dead Badgers than dead Hedgehogs now, along with other creatures such as Rabbits. There definitely are fewer Hedgehogs around today.

p.s. Just seen Ruth's post, posted while I was writing. All the little 'hogs must have gone to Cheshire for a field day, but come a cropper. It hasn't just been around Northants that I have seen less road kills, because we've travelled about elsewhere in the country. This seems most unusual Ruth - or is it? What have others found?

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Just to report I have had 2 different hedgehogs visting at nights last week, not interested in the peanuts I put out just having a good snuffle around the back garden. I have the PC on the dining room table so I can watch the birds when at home and anything else that visits, get an occasional little wild mouse as well and frogs live in among the compost and log pile in the untidy bit I left for wildlife behind the garage.

One was large with pale underskirt seems to float along like a hovercraft, sorry not very good with a camera so the pictures are not good enough to put on here. The other one is smaller. Strange they come up the street to get to my garden as I am the only one with hedges now,no more front gardens they are for parking cars on as everywhere. As long as I am here mine will remain a garden, luckily it is a quiet cul de sac so the hedgehogs are safe walking up.

It was pouring last night and dark early so didn't see any over weekend either too much going on at weekends for them, I mean not me.

For 3 years I have had one of the black compost bins with lid and left the front door off hoping one may hibernate there but no although I keep adding the fallen leaves every year, it doesn't appeal to them.

Ann

Last edited:
Hi Baz and All,

I feel quite privileged that I have hedgehogs visiting my garden, we see them most nights! I know that we have 5 hedgehogs visit as the size of them tells me this. The biggest one that we call Spike is a scaredy cat, as soon as he spots us he is off like a rocket!!!!
The others just get on and have a drink or eat the food that we put out for them nightly.

I have 2 hedgehog houses that I have placed under conifers and I know for sure that one of them is being used, not sure about the other one yet. Later this month or early October I shall clean them out and re- bed ready for their hibernating, so I will get back to you on that.

All the best

For many,many years I have pondered about the hedgehogs need for water.In the height of summer they may be caught in a drought and have to do without water during daylight for up to 16 hours.In my previous garden ,I've seen them head straight for the water dish and drink non stop for maybe 5 mins. or even more..I then wondered if the road kills happened to the ones searching for a drink. Even a short shower will leave small puddles beside minor roads which they may cross to access.
This summer has not been normal and should have been ideal for h/hogs. Plenty of water and plenty of worms and amphibians.I came across one in my garden a couple of weeks ago and marvelled at the condition it was in.Really shiny spikes and no visible Ticks.

I just wondered . maurice

For many,many years I have pondered about the hedgehogs need for water.In the height of summer they may be caught in a drought and have to do without water during daylight for up to 16 hours.In my previous garden ,I've seen them head straight for the water dish and drink non stop for maybe 5 mins. or even more..I then wondered if the road kills happened to the ones searching for a drink. Even a short shower will leave small puddles beside minor roads which they may cross to access.
This summer has not been normal and should have been ideal for h/hogs. Plenty of water and plenty of worms and amphibians.I came across one in my garden a couple of weeks ago and marvelled at the condition it was in.Really shiny spikes and no visible Ticks.

I just wondered . maurice

Your post is interesting Maurice. I have to say that the hedgehogs in my garden do seem to stay at the drinking water an awful lot longer than they do at the food. I have often commented how thirsty the must be. A lot must suffer dehydration in a hot summer.

Hi Baz,

We used to get lots of Hedgehogs in the garden from about this time onwards but where they have all gone goodness knows, not a sign these days.

Last year I installed a 'Hoghouse' behind a large bush and covered in small logs but as far as I can tell without uprooting the whole caboosh nobody has used it.

Also, like you I've seen just one roadkill this year, about 3 weeks ago.

This whole area used to be good for hogs, our dogs were always finding them way back, so what went wrong?

Bill.

Freinds along the road have a log pile and it is inhabited by a hedgehog family. They told me this morning that they've had the pitter patter of hog feet past their bedroom window for the last few nights. So, last night they went to investigate and found that the little darlings were biting off the lower leaves of their vine and taking them in to the woodpile, presumably to line their nest ready for hibernation. The leaves are soft at the moment and so easy to manipulate.

Will keep you posted!

I haven't seen or heard my hogs in a while now. I can only assume they've left for greener pastures though the Hog hole in the gate and now the hosta's are under attack :-C

Hi Baz & All
I saw a roadkill on Sunday morning when driving home from work, it really upset me. Thank goodness I don't see them often.

Hi Baz,
Pleased to say my hogs are still with me with the addition of 2 youngsters this year.
I live in a quiet cul-de-sac like Anne and the gardens from the other streets behind and to the sides of me all back on to one another. I dont know how far hogs will roam in search of food, but they've got a big range here so hopefully they dont need to go near the roads. We got rid of the plastic compost bin provided by the council this year and made our own so I'm hoping it might look quite inviting to one of them come hibernation.;)

Best wishes

Hi Baz,
For the first time ever, we have a Hedgehog in our garden!! I was going to post about it......but the thing is.........I've never actually seen it!!......Hubby has.....three times!! each time he's called me to come see, but by the time I get there it's gone!!! I think it comes most nights as the dish of water I leave out is always bone empty come morning, (I've put an extra dish out now) and the sultanas I leave are usually gone.....BUT.........I still haven't seen it!! only seen it's 'calling cards'!!! which it leaves all round the garden! one of these nights I'll catch the little blighter!!

Hi Baz and all, Hope you get to see your hog Judo!

I hadn't seen any for quite a few months, but just this week we've had one in the front garden and one in next doors out the back. Last year there were four so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the others. I'll go and put some water out the front too having now read how thirsty they seem to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back