• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Mallorca July2018 (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
For several years now,I have had my summer holiday In Puerto Pollenca In Mallorca.This year,my time was shared with family and for 10 days,friends from Scotland.Therefore,my birding time (as always !!) was limited but I did manage to get out there and see some fantastic birds.Rather than give a blow by blow account,I shall break down where I visited and what I seen.

Puerto Pollenca;This was where I was based and either along the beach/walking or from the house,I seen the following;

Sardinian Warbler,Collared Dove,Audoins Gull,Yellow legged Gull,Blackbird,House Sparrow,Shag (Balearic race) Wood Pigeon,Spotted Flycatcher (Balearic race),Zitting Cisticola,Serin,Yellow Wagtail and Graet Tit feeding young.

Ternelles Valley;This was a guided trip booked with the lovely Pere from http://www.mallorcanaturaltours.com This was a trip Into the unknown for me,as I had never been there before and apart from the odd Black Vulture,I never really knew what to expect.A Permit Is required to visit the area but Pere had all this organised earlier.What a brilliant morning this turned out to be.It turned Into a "Raptor Fest" In what I can only describe as a beautiful walk.Birds seen on the walk were;
Black Vulture (approx 16 Individuals.Could have been more) Eygptian Vulture,Red Kite,Eleanoras Falcon,Booted Eagle,2x Osprey,Peregrine Falcon,Kestrel,Raven,Cirl Bunting (heard only) Firecrest,Serin,Blue Tit,Goldfinch,Greenfinch,Sardinian Warbler,Blackcap and Crossbills.
What a fantastic place to visit and I can highly recommend using Pere of Mallorcan Natural Tours,for this trip.Thanks very much Pere.

Mike Montier; I spent a morning out with my very good friend and Mallorca Birdforum regular Mike Montier.I have been meeting Mike for the past few years now,while I am on the Island and these days are always the highlight of my holiday.Great Company,Great Banter and Great birds are always guaranteed when we get together.We visited the following sites and seeing the following;

Albufereta ReserveWe bumped Into fellow birder Philip of one L here.If you're reading Phil,I hope all Is well with you.Birds seen from the Tower were; 4 Greenshank,Redshank,Purple Heron,Cattle Egret,Little Egret,Black winged Stilt,Common Swift,Pallid Swift,Crag Martin,Swallow,Common Tern,Common Sandpiper,Purple Gallinule,Night Heron,Stonechat,Mallard,Red crested Pochard and Osprey.

San Bosc;5 Bee eaters were seen and more were heard around the back of the mound.Kestrel and Zitting Cisticola were also around.

Depuadora; Wow,this place was only for those with a strong stomach.The smell was horrific but the show must go on !! From here we had the following; 8 Glossy Ibis,Black winged Stilt,Cattle Egret,6 Hoopoe,Green Sandpiper,Common Sandpiper.Marsh Harrier,Yellow Wagtail,Zitting Cisticola and Shelduck and Common Tern with youngsters.

Maristany;Great crested Grebe with 2 young. (I believe a rare breeding species on the Island) Shoveler,Little Grebe,Coot,Purple Heron,Little Egret and Little ringed Plover with 2 chicks on the path near the house.
Thanks again for your time and help Mike.Always a fantastic time Is had.

Boquer Valley; I had a solo walk up the Valley,starting at dawn,to avoid the direct heat that hits here later In the morning.Birds seen were; Peregrine Falcon,Wood Pigeon,Spotted Flycatcher,Raven,Crag Martin,Serin,Goldfinch,Greenfinch,Sardinian Warbler and In the short scrub to the left,before the path heads down to the Beach,Balearic Warbler,which was my target bird.A strange encounter happened here,as I settled down behind a rock,In the shade to watch the few Balearic Warblers that were calling occasionally.I was sat quietly,behind a rock,out of sight of the path,when after 30 minutes of patiently picking out the birds,I thought I heard a guitar.Thinking the heat was maybe getting a bit too much for my head,I Ignored It.Another 10 minutes passed and I heard It again,this time accompanied by singing !!! This time,I had to have a look and right enough,about 100 yards from me just off the path,here was a lady singing and playing a guitar,while her husband and 2 teenage children (I presume) stood there watching her.I would Imagine this was a rarer encounter,than the good fortune I had watching the Balearic Warblers..! Very strange Indeed.

I revisited Albufereta Tower again before heading back to the UK but all I added from my time with Mike and Phil,was 5 Red legged Partridge,a Great white Egret and a Kestrel.

On a couple of occasions travelling on the Bus from Puerto Pollenca to Alcudia,I had the surprise of seeing 4 Flamingo's on the Torrent de Albufereta on the 15/07 and 2 Avocet In the same place on the 17/07.

So there goes another wonderful summer holiday on the fantastic Island of Mallorca and all being well,I shall be back next year again.Although It Is the quiet time of the birding scene on the Island,I hope my report shows that there are still many,many great birds to be seen at this time of year.
Last but by no means least,thanks are due to Mike Montier and Pere from Mallorcan Natural Tours.

Last edited:
Great report Ben Nevis and a nice reminder of our day out together, always a special event in the year for me too.
Take care, have a great winter and do please let me know how the birds of Scotland are doing from time to time.
Hopefully, see you next year!
All the best, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back