• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern, Tern, Tern -- Pescadero Beach, California (1 Viewer)

djleahy

For every season, or at least every Summer, we have migrating terns on the California coast. I found a nice group of terns in the lagoon on Pescadero Creek near the ocean beach this morning. Lots of Caspians, and a few not-a-Caspians. I'm pretty sure that I have a couple decent pictures of Elegant Terns, which are a new bird for me. I am a little challenged by sorting out what appear to be a fair number of juvenile Elegants and Caspians in the mix. Here are a few of the better photos, I'd appreciate help from the experts here which ones are which.

My take:
#1 and #2, juvenile Elegant (yellow legs) with adult Caspian
#3 two juvenile Caspians (yellow beaks but black tipped) with an adult Caspian
#4 busy shot, but I think: most are Caspians, especially the clear top bird; the left bird is an adult Elegant (yellow beak, no dark underwing tips, forked tail), along with the blurrier lowest bird
#5 two adult and two juvenile Elegants; the beak on the more central adult looks freakishly long and narrow here

Do I have the hang of Elegant Terns yet?

Attachments

• IMG_7992.JPG
    IMG_7992.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_7993.JPG
    IMG_7993.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_8025.JPG
    IMG_8025.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_8041.bf.JPG
    IMG_8041.bf.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_8054.bf.jpg
    IMG_8054.bf.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 180
a couple more

A few more shots of what I think are Elegant Terns. Both the adults and juveniles show the shaggy crest relatively clearly. #3 shows a Caspian for relative size.

It seems like there's a remote chance that Royal Terns could be seen at Pescadero, but I don't think that I see any evidence of that here. But I doubt that I have the skills to tell Royal from Caspian at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_8051.JPG
    IMG_8051.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_8066.JPG
    IMG_8066.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8045.JPG
    IMG_8045.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 161
The first three photos are all Caspian Terns. In the first photo the front bird is a juv. As you said the size difference is large so when in doubt that's a clear sign. the bird in front here is large and the orange bill/legs is due to immaturity rather than being a different species (notice the scaly back). Notice also the chunky bill shape of Caspian while Elegant has a long thin bill. The fifth photo is all Elegant Terns as are the first two photos of your second posting. The third photo has both species the Caspian being the big bird in the middle. The fourth photograph in your first posting there is Caspian (top) and elegant top left and bottom.

The first three photos are all Caspian Terns. In the first photo the front bird is a juv. As you said the size difference is large so when in doubt that's a clear sign. the bird in front here is large and the orange bill/legs is due to immaturity rather than being a different species (notice the scaly back). Notice also the chunky bill shape of Caspian while Elegant has a long thin bill. The fifth photo is all Elegant Terns as are the first two photos of your second posting. The third photo has both species the Caspian being the big bird in the middle. The fourth photograph in your first posting there is Caspian (top) and elegant top left and bottom.

Thanks for the input, SJC. Looking at the first two pics again, I see that the birds are the same size, so I should have figured juvenile Caspians for the yellow-billed bird. Where it has wings up (#2), it shows the Caspian black underwing tips, which should have been a clue.

I agree with SJC. Nice size comparison shot in the last photo.

And though Sibley does show juvenile Caspian Terns as having dark legs, leg color should generally be used only as a supporting field mark in my opinion. Among gulls for example, most species show variations in leg color and exceptions to most rules have been found.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back