• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guide for whole indonesia (1 Viewer)

If the eagle is Flores and the cockatoo Yellow-crested, then I'm just short of the thrush. Hmm, where's my diary...

James, does the field guide exactly follow current HBW passerine taxonomy, or will it give us a preview of any of the taxonomic revisions to be adopted in HBW/BirdLife Illustrated Checklist vol 2 (Dec 2016)...? ;)

Richard,

Certainly not! The taxonomy is unrelated to the HBW/Birdlife checklist, comparing just the non-passerines there is quite a difference, unfortunately.

Andy - it's citrinocristata, which will be split as a Sumba endemic (a sneak preview there!).

Cheers,

James

Richard,
Certainly not! The taxonomy is unrelated to the HBW/Birdlife checklist, comparing just the non-passerines there is quite a difference, unfortunately.
That sounds good, James – so sharing artwork with HBW, but maintaining taxonomic independence rather than universally following BirdLife's (sometimes controversial) treatment...

Thanks, James. My records show no cockatoos seen on Sumba with you in 2006, so I'm down to 9 of 11 (maybe I should go back for that green-pigeon too!). I've only seen them on Komodo in fact...

So from all I have gathered here, plus consulting Wikipedia, it would seem that we finally get what will essentially be a FG covering all of Indonesia except for Western New Guinea. But that part is in the New Guinea guides anyway. Thus a very major gap will finally be closed. I had originally thought we'd get another book that covers a fraction such as the ones that have appeared during the past decades. So I'm finally getting really excited about this forthcoming book. Particularly so since there will be more than just the HBW illustrations.

Which other major gaps remain after this book will have come out? Personally, I think it's Bolivia only.

Last edited:
So from all I have gathered here, plus consulting Wikipedia, it would seem that we finally get what will essentially be a FG covering all of Indonesia except for Western New Guinea. But that part is in the New Guinea guides anyway. Thus a very major gap will finally be closed. I had originally thought we'd get another book that covers a fraction such as the ones that have appeared during the past decades. So I'm finally getting really excited about this forthcoming book. Particularly so since there will be more than just the HBW illustrations.

Which other major gaps remain after this book will have come out? Personally, I think it's Bolivia only.

Argentina

cheers, a

I'm a collector of field guides - even of places I've no hope of ever visiting! So, what field guides would you recommend buying in order to cover the whole world (apart from Bolivia)?

I'll start off with the Collins Bird Guide for Europe and Sibley Guide to Birds for N. America.

Roger

For South America, there is a passerines book for the entire continent (Ridgely and Tudor) and a non-passerines book by (in some order, depending on publisher) Erize, Mata, Rumboll.

Some of the illustrated checklists cover larger areas, often with less detail per species.

Niels

Robert et al,
Perhaps I can delight you with the information that a field guide to Bolivia has been in the pipeline for many years and has entered the final stretch according to recent information from Sebastian Herzog on the Facebook-group "I love Ornithological & Bird Books".

You can find more info about the project here: http://birds-of-bolivia.org/
and see some plates made by one of the illustrators here: http://carlchristiantofte.blogspot.se/p/field-guide-illustrations-south-america.html.

Regards // Jonas

Robert et al,
Perhaps I can delight you with the information that a field guide to Bolivia has been in the pipeline for many years and has entered the final stretch according to recent information from Sebastian Herzog on the Facebook-group "I love Ornithological & Bird Books".

You can find more info about the project here: http://birds-of-bolivia.org/
and see some plates made by one of the illustrators here: http://carlchristiantofte.blogspot.se/p/field-guide-illustrations-south-america.html.

Regards // Jonas

Hello Jonas,

That is great news indeed! Thanks for letting us know. Seems that some work is being done without much widespread publicity. I notice on the linked page that there is even support by the Swiss government. That's remarkable in itself.

A team headed by Joe Tobias is/was also working on a Bolivian field guide. Some information on the project, including some very nice sample plates, could be found on the website neomorphus.org, which however no longer appears to be online

A team headed by Joe Tobias is/was also working on a Bolivian field guide. Some information on the project, including some very nice sample plates, could be found on the website neomorphus.org, which however no longer appears to be online

So there is more in the making, it seems. That's great to learn. Google comes up with lots of fine bird photos apparently by Tobias. And some further search, under Bolivia bird field guide provided this result:
http://armoniabolivia.org/2016/03/08/first-field-guide-to-the-birds-of-bolivia-coming-soon/
It's a very recent website.
Is this the neomorphus work or another one? At any rate, there might be a book coming out soon. Unless it follows Pearman's pattern for Argentina. Sometimes it helps to publish less perfect editions to get some funds for improved second editions. :eat:

EDIT: I just found out that this leads to the same page Jonas has linked to in post #32. So it's the same book.

Last edited:
Sample pages are now on the Lynx website and Facebook page: http://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-indonesian-archipelago

Look very good. Lot's of info in concise textual descriptions. Don't think I've ever seen maps on the same page as illustrations though. I can see it being helpful for this region, however. Range is going to be a key factor in many IDs; and with the maps underneath the illustrations, you can associate the range and illustration immediately without having to glance back and forth across the page. But it does make the illustrations look rather technical, with no suggestion of the bird's habitat.

I also notice each map has 5 boxes to the left. I've seen that in other guides; I suppose it's some sort of indication of scale, but not conviced it's worth the space it takes up. Would rather have a larger map.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back