• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU 51st supplement (3 Viewers)

Suliformes is a fish name:
"A review of the genus Corydorax La Cepede 1803 (Pisces, Sulformes, Callichthyidae)" Is not that bad form??

Mathews used Suborder Eurypygiformes in 1915 The Austral avian record: a scientific journal devoted primarily ...

Suliformes is a fish name:
"A review of the genus Corydorax La Cepede 1803 (Pisces, Sulformes, Callichthyidae)" Is not that bad form??

Callichthyidae is a member of the Siluriformes (catfish); "Sulformes" does not make sense and seems like it was probably a typo.

Peter: Does anyone know the author's name and date of the taxon name Suliformes, or who was the first person who used this term? Also Eurypygiformes.

Me:{Suliformes is a fish name:
A review of the genus Corydorax La Cepede 1803 (Pisces, Sulformes, Callichthyidae) Is not that bad form??}
“Callichthyidae is a member of the Siluriformes (catfish); "Sulformes" does not make sense and seems like it was probably a typo” I agree it was a typo. The Committee cited Hackett et al (2008) for this name but I have not read it.

Me: {Mathews used Suborder Eurypygiformes in 1915 The Austral avian record: a scientific journal devoted primarily .}
The Committee in the proposal said it was a new name and did not cite Mathews. ICZN The Code Introduction: The Code does not fully regulate the names of taxa above the family group. Chapter 1.2.2 Articles 1-4 7,-10 11.1-11.3 14 27 28 and 32.5.2.6 also regulate names of taxa at ranks above the family group. My question is under Article 10 is Eurypygiformes available???

Sylviidae

This might be splitting hairs, but I'm still bothered by the arrangement around the breakup of old Sylviidae.

In the accepted proposal a suggested systematic arrangement also includes Alaudidae, Hirundinidae, Pycnonotidae and Aegithalidae. These are all part of the Sylvioidea radiation, with Paridae+Remizidae ususally put basally. But in the updated list I see this order:

Alaudidae+Hirundinidae
Paridae+Remizidae
Aegithalidae
Sittidae+Certhiidae+Troglodytidae+Polioptilidae
Cinclidae
Pycnonotidae
Regulidae
Cettiidae+Phylloscopidae (and then the proposed order)

What happened between the proposal and the supplement? Frankly, what's the point of breaking up Sylviidae due to paraphyly vs other passerines when it's not reflected in the systematic list?

Bahama Oriole

Not often you get an armchair CR - if you're struggling for time you can do this on a day return from Nassau.
cheers, a
Nice one, Alan!
[And I need Great Lizard Cuckoo for Bahamas/Nearctic - also available on Andros - plus a chance of West Indian Whistling Duck...]

Richard

Alan, is this your own picture? I don't think we have this form represented in the gallery (hint, hint) ;)

And Richard, if you go to the Bahamas, I would also look at some of the endemic races of other birds, such as the parrot, red-legged thrush, nuthatch, etc (I cannot remember which are available where in the Bahamas as I have never been)

Niels

Bahamas

Richard, if you go to the Bahamas, I would also look at some of the endemic races of other birds, such as the parrot, red-legged thrush, nuthatch, etc (I cannot remember which are available where in the Bahamas as I have never been)
Niels
Yes. I've only birded Abaco and New Providence, so I missed several Bahamian species/forms found only on other islands (including Inagua Parrot and Bahama Nuthatch). Too many places to visit...

Richard

What we usually recommend is that you simply post to the gallery (hit the gallery tab and then click opload photo, follow the instructions). If you know or suspect that the picture shows something special (a new species or new, distinct subspecies for Opus, a female where only male is available, or a much better picture than the one in Opus), then a little note in this forum will catch the attention of the Opus editors.

Above was the simple version. In reality uploading a picture to Opus seems a little daunting first time you try, but by the third one it seems routine. All other sorts of Opus editing is really easy.

Send me a PM or make a request somewhere in this forum if anyone would like to try but feels it is scary.

Niels

Alan, is this your own picture? I don't think we have this form represented in the gallery (hint, hint) ;)

And Richard, if you go to the Bahamas, I would also look at some of the endemic races of other birds, such as the parrot, red-legged thrush, nuthatch, etc (I cannot remember which are available where in the Bahamas as I have never been)

Niels

I'll try and work out how to upload it tonight - it isn't great - a video grab if I remember

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back