• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Patch (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Due to work commitments made it to my local patch for only the second time this month. Cannot believe how much it has changed in the last two weeks.

Had an excellent couple of hours there this morning, 29 species, notably a pair of sparrowhawks, willow warbler, blackcap, chiffchaff and a wonderful whitethroat giving a superb display, fluttering around singing his heart out. Swifts and swallow diving around. Came back via the pool and, in addition to cygnets, goslings and ducklings I saw the first little great crested grebe from the two breeding pairs. The third kept losing their nest to Coots and having to grab it back. They eventually gave up. Theis little one was being preened by its mother, sitting on her back. Why did I not take my camera?!

What I have noticed is that since the first warblers arrived the goldcrests have disappeared from my patch. I shall be interested to see if this happens again in the future.

Rob

Sounds great Rob. Cant imagine seeing 29 species in a couple of hours. Little Grebe are nesting on my local patch in Cardiff. Its a reserve that has been made using a section of the derelict Glamorgan Canal. Hides have been built but the local "kids", bless them, have done their best to burn them down! The little Grebe are nesting within a metre or so of Moorhens and seem to be getting on fine together. Grey Heron drop in regularly and stalk fish in the shallows and there are the usual Reed Buntings, Bullfinch and Greenfinch. Common Buzzards are often seen overhead and Kestrels and the odd Raven make an appearance now and again. It is "city birding" but great fun nevertheless!

David,

We are blessed with some of 'Britain's Finest', too. Fortunately, they are not renowned for early morning starts!

Was back there again this morning. Very grey, very windy and very cold. Sun came out as I went home! Didn't see as many species today compared with yesterday (27) and numbers of each type well down, but all the warblers were there plus, sparrowhawk, kestrel, heron, gs woodpecker and green woodpecker. I got a couple of nice piccies of the latter as it ran around anting. A regular dogwalker joined me and she was thrilled with her first sighting of the latter.

I then found that the coots had five young on the pool and then I ran into a nursery of long tailed tits. Managed to get some photos of their young too, althoughn not brilliant as they were camera shy.

City birding can be good fun, and since September I have built up a list of 65 species seen within 10 minutes of my house. There are others that I know I have missed, so gives me hope for next year.

Rob

That's incredible Rob. I think my 'local' list (including the garden) is in the low 40's (Must check! - I'm not to good at updating it). I get a green woodpecker dropping in here from time to time. There is set of old crumbling brick steps outside and he feasts on the ants from the crevices. I see you are in Birmingham. Do you ever visit Sandwell Valley RSPB reserve? I lived in Wolverhampton for ten years and used to go there fairly often. Quite an oasis for birds in the middle of the urban sprawl. Great place B'ham. I have enjoyed many splendid concerts in your wonderful Symphony Hall.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back