• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (3 Viewers)

Interesting :) the light is not sunny maybe even a little overcast? The sort of light when I have got some of my best bird shots....sometimes even surprised me with the detail.

Den

Too much sun makes for heat moving the air around making it absolutely necessary to take series of photos to by luck capture the moment where there are less movement than the rest of the time

Niels

Also I've noticed the SX60 likes the more even (less contrasty) light on overcast days. I've had my best photos on medium-overcast days. I suspect most small sensors prefer this sort of environment; it plays well to their limited dynamic range.

reset the setttings on my camera to the factory settings then put calvins recommendations back in,only took a couple of pics of distant gulls but these are a lot better than the pics from the last few months,the camera was also focussing on every pic

Attachments

• gull1.JPG
    gull1.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 76
  • gull2.JPG
    gull2.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 67
these ones

MODE DIAL: Tv (Shutter Priority)
AF FRAME: (disabled)
DIGITAL ZOOM: 2.0x
AF-POINT ZOOM: (disabled)
SERVO AF: On
CONTINUOUS AF: On
AF-ASSIST BEAM: Off
MF-POINT ZOOM: Off
SAFETY MF: On
RECALL ZOOM: Off / Off
MF PEAKING: On / High / Red
FLASH: Off
ISO AUTO: Max ISO Speed: 1600
HIGH ISO NR: Standard
SPOT AE POINT: AF Point
SAFETY SHIFT: On
IS SETTINGS: Continuous

Also:

Continuous Shooting AF
Normal Focus Mode (not Macro or Manual)
ISO Auto
White Balance assigned to Video button, used Cloudy preset
Metering is Center Weighted Average
4:3 Aspect Ratio
JPEG 16M files (still not ready for RAW yet)
Large File Size
Superfine Quality
DR Correction Off

robin sitting high in a tree full 247mm with the 1.6 converter,left the iso at 400 for some reason ,cant understand why the camera was suddenly not focussing,at one point a bird was about 5 feet from me and the camera refused to focus,now I have reset the setting focussing is not a problem

Attachments

• robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 96
Hi all. Have pressed something in the menu and the camera now starts at full zoom. Any ideas on how I can change this? On a different note I’ve been having a play around with the the remote settings with my phone. Was pretty pleased with the result given the overcast skies. Was going to post here until I remembered it breached forum rules - coal Tits at entrance to nest.:-C

Thanks for any advice.

Rich

a few recent pics

Attachments

• c7.jpg
    c7.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 56
  • wren.JPG
    wren.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 49
  • lssbg.jpg
    lssbg.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 77
3 pics all taken on auto the other settings seem to have their own mind

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 75
First day out of lockdown in Wales so headed to Dinas. Marsh Tits were showing very well.

Attachments

• D925F5F0-8C05-4739-B0E0-D43789FDE8D8.jpg
    D925F5F0-8C05-4739-B0E0-D43789FDE8D8.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 64
I have had this camera since it was launched to replace the "40", got it in Singapore.

Have to say most if not all my stuff is now video for which the camera is superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back