• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Box Tree Moths: A NUISANCE !! (1 Viewer)

John Nihon

They first appeared last year. This year I've been removing the caterpillars by hand now that I know what to look for but it's not that easy finding them all. I do appear to have reduced the amount of moths somewhat though.

Yesterday however I found that I have an ally. A wasp attacked, terminated and then demolished a box tree moth in front of my very eyes. It then flew off with a good chunk of its body. It was shocking |8.| ('X-Rated') so for the sake of those with a nervous disposition I haven't put any pictures up. ;)

Note: Be kind to wasps !! :t:

Last edited:
Has anyone any tips on getting rid of them or in particular the caterpillars or better still discouraging them from paying us a visit in the first place? :brains:

They first appeared last year. This year I've been removing the caterpillars by hand now that I know what to look for but it's not that easy finding them all. I do appear to have reduced the amount of moths somewhat though.

Yesterday however I found that I have an ally. A wasp attacked, terminated and then demolished a box tree moth in front of my very eyes. It then flew off with a good chunk of its body. It was shocking |8.| ('X-Rated') so for the sake of those with a nervous disposition I haven't put any pictures up. ;)

Why not post some pics. I'm sure we can stomach them

'X' Rated - Age 90yrs or over only: Violent Content

Why not post some pics. I'm sure we can stomach them

There's always one with a morbid fascination for violence and murder most horrid. :eek!:

Sounds more like the behaviour of a Hornet?

I've attached a couple of pictures (see below). :gn:

:news:

Attachments

• DSC_6297_00002.jpg
    DSC_6297_00002.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_6302_00002.jpg
    DSC_6302_00002.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Has anyone any tips on getting rid of them or in particular the caterpillars or better still discouraging them from paying us a visit in the first place? :brains:

I think you are doing the most effective treatment. There may be more advice on the RHS website.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back