• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

motacilla flava juv ? Kastoria Northwest Greece July 2020 (1 Viewer)

bairakta

Hello, is this a juvenile motacilla flava ? Can we rule out citreola due to yellowish primaries and tail feathers? There are reports of citreola , although there is no confirmation that there is a breeding area of M citreola at the region

Attachments

• nearo-motacila-2-jul-2020.jpg
    nearo-motacila-2-jul-2020.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 60
I don’t see yellow wagtails that young...

I trying to work out is the eye stripe is wrapping around which could point to citrine. Someone else will be more use to you....

Hello Bairakta, I have never seen juvenile Citrines, but your bird is within variation for flava. And according to literature, Citrines should have broad white wingbars, as you have said.
But I have found this: https://birds.kz/taxons/399/fronpic3.jpg (Citrine with yellowish tinge to the white greater-covert wing-bar and tertials, from https://birds.kz/v2taxon.php?s=399&l=en)
And if someone with more experience says your bird is a Citrine, I am allways happy to learn.
And then I believe, recently hatched juvenile Citrine would be unIDable without their parents in Europe.
Conclusion? Yellow Wagtail for me, because I have seen such birds in W-Europe before (including this head pattern), but I wuold be happy to learn!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back