• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making-of-pics - how do you take your pictures? (1 Viewer)

TobiasK

Hi,
i am very interested in how you do your shots ;-)
show me your blinds or other tries not to be recognized by the bird, rabbit, .....

i will start...

first the pic (350D, 100-400 and 1,4 Kenko)
schwalbftterungkopfkleiwb2.jpg

and how it was done:
schwalbearbeitsfotoff9.jpg

bye
Tobias

Much more casual usually - walking with the camera, shots taken handheld, braced against a convenient object when available. Alternatively, from a comfy armchair by my backroom window, with the camera mounted on a tripod and remote release used. I dont do a great deal of photography from permenant hides - their positioning is often not want I would choose for photography, and I dont own a portable hide. Sometimes the car is used as a mobile hide though.

This is one of my favourite Nuthatch shots and how it was done.I built the hide and set up a feeding station with my 8 year old daughter back in the winter.It is still going strong but is too dark at the moment because of the foliage.Looking forward to getting some shots of the winter finches etc.The hide is on the right hand side of the pic.You can just make out the end of my lens.

Thats a fab photo by the way!

Attachments

• IMG_4417 copy.jpg
    IMG_4417 copy.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_3618.jpg
    IMG_3618.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 775
great shots... perhaps this should inspire me to use my hide more often, I'd love a feeding station like yours Mike.

Tobias - do you have a tiny hide, that 100-400 looks massive!

Hi,
the hide is designed for two persons.
The lens you see is a 600/4 of a friend of mine
sadly not mine ;-)

Bye
Tobias

that's funny and exactly the same i told my friend:
if, one day, he hears me standing behind him, red eyes and uttering.....RUN.....

Bye
Tobias

Hi Tobiask.
No problem.If you want to you can highlight the actual branch the Nuthatch was on.If you look at the long feeder log in the centre of the pic.Just to the left of the rockpile at the base you can see a short branch sticking upright.The bird was perched on there.This is a really interesting thread.I look forward to some other photographers replies.The gear used was an EOS 300d and a Sigma 135-400mm lens.

Last edited:
Hi,
here some pics from today
as the storks were standing on a flat are, i had to creep to them ;-)
my clothes were all wet, but it was worth it
the final distance was about 10 meters (30 feet ?)

here are the pics

350D (Rebel XT), 100-400 + 1,4 Kenko, 1/500, Iso 200

storch1kleinfilteredjo9.jpg

storch2kleinfilteredsq1.jpg

and how it was done ;-)

storchafqr9.jpg

Bye
Tobias

Last edited:
Brilliant Tobias!Are you an army sniper by any chance?(lol)

I am surprised there has been no other input from the loads of photographers on here.Its a great thread and very interesting.Come on guys!

Hi Mike,
thank you ;-)
i would also like to see more pics here, maybe it is the wrong section here
or maybe the other members won't show their secrets ;-)

Bye
Tobias

Hi Tobias
If I had any secrets I would happily share them. However, apart from wearing camo gear I use nothing else.
Watching this thread with interest

Brilliant Tobias!Are you an army sniper by any chance?(lol)

I am surprised there has been no other input from the loads of photographers on here.Its a great thread and very interesting.Come on guys!
Nothing to share myself Mike - I am a walker who takes along a Camera and snatches a shot as and when a opportunity comes. I do try to wear dullish/greenish clothing but that is about it. I don't think I have ever stayed in one place more that a minute. Not that I am knocking anyone who uses Hide's or such it is just that I have not got the patience to do so (wish I had sometimes).

Same here, Roy - I go out, I find birds, I photograph 'em.

With all due respect to its proponents, I've got no real interest in setting up a hide and an outdoor stage/studio, or doing this long distance, remote control bird photography - it strikes me that there's only a small step from this to the "photographer" not being there at all and setting the camera up to trigger automatically when a bird is near.

Last edited:
Same here, Roy - I go out, I find birds, I photograph 'em.

With all due respect to its proponents, I've got no real interest in setting up a hide and an outdoor stage/studio, or doing this long distance, remote control bird photography - it strikes me that there's only a small step from this to the "photographer" not being there at all and setting the camera up to trigger automatically when a bird is near.
I agree with the fact that there is a lot more satisfaction in seeing a bird,stalking to within range and getting a good shot.I find the hide method works for me as I work 60+ hours a week and with the weather being like it has been I have to pinch the odd hour here and there with the camera.With that in mind I would rather go to somewhere where I am virtually guaranteed to get something.

Agree with Mike. Stalking is good because it's a challenge and there are only so many species that come to a feeding station but hides (almost) invariably offer closer views in my experience, maybe that's because I'm a rubbish stalker! Going slightly off track, I've yet to perfect the art of crawling along on my belly whilst trying to manoeuvre a large lens, has anyone got any tips?

I do most of my local photography on the farmland attached to where I work. I'm intending to make a feeding station using Mike's brushwood hide idea, I've had a lot of trouble with sheep attacking my dome hide! In the meantime I'm using the car as a hide. Most of the time I don't get anything but Stock Doves. In fact I often end up photographing little else! I'll post a picture of the site if I can remember to bring in my small lens to take one with!

Hi Clive.
When stalking in the open I usually lie belly down with my elbows supporting my camera/lens in front of me ready to shoot.I then just drag myself forward with my elbows.
One tip I will give you when you build your hide is never leave any birdfood in the hide when you leave.I tried this to save me carrying it back and forth and got a PM from my mate Luke (BF member) to say that a sheep had got in and destroyed the hide trying to get out!

I think my 600mm is too big to support this way. I could lie it on the ground of course, but then low-lying plants and stuff tends to get in the way. Or I could lean it on a bag, but then that's one more thing to drag along with me. What I need is something like a monopod that's a foot long!

I've already learnt the hard way about leaving food in a hide. The problem was not sheep but squirrels. The food was in a sturdy plastic box but they still knawed their way in. And they tore several holes in the hide, being too stupid to find the door at the back.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back