Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

MM2 with focussing problem

Old Sunday 16th December 2007, 22:42   #1
Sancho

MM2 with focussing problem

Iīve an MM2 that has developed a problem with the focussing wheel, which now spins on its axis or pin but doesnīt focus. Iīve e-mailed Opticron about it, Iīm sure itīll get sorted out eventually but as itīs the Xmas season itīll probably take a while...I wonīt bother sending it off before the New Year. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar problem, and if it sounds like it involves worn internal threads or something like that. (Sorry, Iīm non-technical). Itīs not a matter of life and death, Iīm just curious. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th December 2007, 10:26   #2
level seven

Hi Sancho

I had a similar problem with my Opticron ES80 scope, except the focussing wheel would come right off. This exposed the metal spindle which it locks on to normally and I found I could focus by turning this between two fingers until I could get a proper repair done. Of course, I don't know if the MM2 works in the same way - I would guess it would though. So if the focussing wheel pulls off, that might be worth a try as a temporary solution.

I phoned Opticron and found them very helpful. They repaired it by return of post under the guarantee.
Old Monday 17th December 2007, 15:57   #3
Sancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by level seven View Post
Hi Sancho

I had a similar problem with my Opticron ES80 scope, except the focussing wheel would come right off. This exposed the metal spindle which it locks on to normally and I found I could focus by turning this between two fingers until I could get a proper repair done. Of course, I don't know if the MM2 works in the same way - I would guess it would though. So if the focussing wheel pulls off, that might be worth a try as a temporary solution.

I phoned Opticron and found them very helpful. They repaired it by return of post under the guarantee.
Thanks Level Seven, good to know! Happy Christmas!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th December 2007, 20:10   #4
young ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Iīve an MM2 that has developed a problem with the focussing wheel, which now spins on its axis or pin but doesnīt focus. Iīve e-mailed Opticron about it, Iīm sure itīll get sorted out eventually but as itīs the Xmas season itīll probably take a while...I wonīt bother sending it off before the New Year. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar problem, and if it sounds like it involves worn internal threads or something like that. (Sorry, Iīm non-technical). Itīs not a matter of life and death, Iīm just curious. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas.

I'm shooting from the' hip' here. Is there a
small grub screw in the focusing wheel that
needs tightening? look for a small hole in the wheel!

Kind regards,
young Ian.
Old Monday 17th December 2007, 21:03   #5
Sancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by young ian View Post
I'm shooting from the' hip' here. Is there a
small grub screw in the focusing wheel that
needs tightening? look for a small hole in the wheel!

Kind regards,
young Ian.
Thanks, Young Ian, there are two tiny holes, one on either side of the focussing wheel (visible after I remove the rubber cover). Iīve no idea what kind of tool goes into them, they donīt seem to be for a tiny allen-key or anything like that. But I suspect you may be onto something!

Old Tuesday 18th December 2007, 02:21   #6
Chris Oates
Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...

Opticron are usually very very helpful - phone them on 01582 726522.
Old Tuesday 18th December 2007, 09:36   #7
young ian

Quote:
Thanks, Young Ian, there are two tiny holes, one on either side of the focussing wheel (visible after I remove the rubber cover). Iīve no idea what kind of tool goes into them, they donīt seem to be for a tiny allen-key or anything like that. But I suspect you may be onto something!
Sancho,
I suspect a small 'watchmaker' type
screw driver will do the trick! Flat or cross
head type screw driver? Although There are
some minute allen-keys about of today.
Also if you look into the focusing wheel
barrel you might see the the ends of the grub
screws.

Kind regards,
young Ian.
Old Tuesday 18th December 2007, 18:15   #8
Sancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by young ian View Post
Sancho,
I suspect a small 'watchmaker' type
screw driver will do the trick! Flat or cross
head type screw driver? Although There are
some minute allen-keys about of today.
Also if you look into the focusing wheel
barrel you might see the the ends of the grub
screws.

Kind regards,
young Ian.
Chris - thanks, I contacted them and they were indeed helpful so Iīll send it off to them after Xmas!

Young Ian - itīs odd, the little holes are tiny, and seem to receive a tiny pointed instrument that doesnīt look like any type of screwdriver, itīs simply round headed and pointy. Oddly, the upper edges of the little holes are threaded. Iīve no idea what itīs about, so itīs best if I donīt mess about with it, given that Iīd probably forfeit any warranty I have. Yes, when I look into the focussing wheel, I can see the head of a brass-coloured pin of some sort, but it doesnīt have any grooves on it to receive a screwdriver, and it rotates with the focussing wheel. Think Iīll let Opticron look after this one, but the inquisitive side of me would love to see how the whole thing is put together!

Old Monday 4th February 2008, 20:33   #9
Sancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Oates View Post
Opticron are usually very very helpful - phone them on 01582 726522.
You were spot on, Chris.....I contacted Opticron in early January, sent the MM2 off to them on the 16th, and it arrived back today perfectly restored and repaired. I hadn't even enclosed a receipt of purchase, 'cos I'd lost it, and they didn't charge me a cent. Brilliant Customer Service!

Old Tuesday 30th March 2010, 15:14   #10
TomSmith

Quote:
Hi,

I just had exactly the same problem with my second-hand MM2. Phoned Opticron and it turns out that the holes are actually for an extremely small allen key. So you can fix it yourself without too much trouble once you have the tool (I did.) But they would have been quite happy to fix it for me at no charge - even without the guarantee! Excellent customer service.

Tom
Old Monday 20th September 2010, 08:10   #11
wolfbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmith View Post
Hi,

I just had exactly the same problem with my second-hand MM2. Phoned Opticron and it turns out that the holes are actually for an extremely small allen key. So you can fix it yourself without too much trouble once you have the tool (I did.) But they would have been quite happy to fix it for me at no charge - even without the guarantee! Excellent customer service.

Tom

Wonder if they would send out the appropriate allen key? If that failed you could send it in.

By the way, how is the MM2? I am thinking of getting one for my travels abroad. I have an ES80 and use 15-45 HDF zoom lens. Are they interchangeable?
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Old Monday 20th September 2010, 11:34   #12
joannec

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
By the way, how is the MM2? I am thinking of getting one for my travels abroad. I have an ES80 and use 15-45 HDF zoom lens. Are they interchangeable?
I have a MM2 that I use as a travel scope and with a lightweight tripod it's pretty good, nice and light but it doesn't compare to bigger more powerful scopes obviously. It isn't waterproof. I bought mine before Nikon brought out the ED50 and that is the better small scope which I would have gone for if they had been around at the time. I can't answer your question about the interchangeability of the eyepieces. I have a zoom eyepiece that I bought with the scope.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 20th September 2010, 12:13   #13
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
I have an ES80 and use 15-45 HDF zoom lens. Are they interchangeable?
On the ES80 the HDF zoom is a 20-60x eyepiece (its 15-45x on 60mm scopes).

You can indeed use the HDF on the MM2 body.

Cheers, Pete
Old Saturday 25th September 2010, 06:05   #14
wolfbirder

Appreciate your responses folks, thank you.

I often do weekend trips to Europe via budget airlines, and am trying to do away with having to check in hold baggage. I could fit binos, MM2, and essentials in a carry-on bag.

Just need a suitable very compact travel tripod now.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: