Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Celestron Regal Zoom In The Ultima ED ????

Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 14:16   #1
gcole

Talking Celestron Regal Zoom In The Ultima ED ????

Hi ... Does anyone know if the Celestron Regal F-100 zoom eyepiece can be used in the Ultima 100 ED scope. I sold the Regal body & kept the eyepiece. The specs seem to be the same between the two but I cant tell looking at the pictures if the Ultima zoom can just be removed & the other put back in. I really liked the Regal but it had a few things that really bugged me, like the problem with finding eyepieces & that coarse/fine focusing. After comparing the zoom to the big Pentax SMC , I liked the features of the Regal zoom much better & felt it gave up nothing optically to the Pentax other than not being waterproof. I even like it better in my pentax 65 Ed II having the same 16- 48x power range. Now I have a chance to get a Ultima ED for a really good price but would really like to use the Regal highend zoom on it instead... gwen
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 18:23   #2
woodhornbirder

"the problem with finding eyepieces"

erm not sure what you mean. GIven the regal takes 1.25" eps. I think you mean you were spoilt for choice!
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 19:56   #3
inags

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Hi ... Does anyone know if the Celestron Regal F-100 zoom eyepiece can be used in the Ultima 100 ED scope. I sold the Regal body & kept the eyepiece. The specs seem to be the same between the two but I cant tell looking at the pictures if the Ultima zoom can just be removed & the other put back in. I really liked the Regal but it had a few things that really bugged me, like the problem with finding eyepieces & that coarse/fine focusing. After comparing the zoom to the big Pentax SMC , I liked the features of the Regal zoom much better & felt it gave up nothing optically to the Pentax other than not being waterproof. I even like it better in my pentax 65 Ed II having the same 16- 48x power range. Now I have a chance to get a Ultima ED for a really good price but would really like to use the Regal highend zoom on it instead... gwen
Why don't you get a Baader Hyperion Zoom. I don't know about the Regal e/p but it is far superior to the e/p that came with my Ultima 100ED
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 23:00   #4
gcole

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by inags View Post
Why don't you get a Baader Hyperion Zoom. I don't know about the Regal e/p but it is far superior to the e/p that came with my Ultima 100ED
From what I have read the Baader zoom does indeed seem to be a really nice eyepiece & having used the Regal zoom on my little pentax it too is a nice zoom. Are you using the Baader zoom on the ultima ?, if so what if any physical changes to the ultima did you have to make in order for the baader to work.....gwen
Old Tuesday 24th August 2010, 23:12   #5
gcole

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhornbirder View Post
"the problem with finding eyepieces"

erm not sure what you mean. GIven the regal takes 1.25" eps. I think you mean you were spoilt for choice!
It just did not give me the choices I thought I would have. Thats why I purchased it. For the small amount I would shell out for the ultima 100, I figured why not use it just with the Regal zoom ? .... gwen
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 03:32   #6
FrankD

Gwen,

I do not believe the Regal zoom will physically fit onto the Celestron Ultima line of scopes. From what I remember of the Ultima the diameter of a typical 1.25 inch astro eyepiece is about the same as the diameter of the male adapter on the Ultima scope. In other words the zoom won't screw on top of the scope body because they are of the same diameter.

The Baader Hyperion does screw on top of the Ultima bodies. The Baader comes with a series of adapters that allow it to fit on top of the Zeiss Diascope and the Celestron Ultima line of scopes. I once tried the Baader on the Celestron Ultima 65 ED and was very impressed with the overall image quality.
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 04:59   #7
gcole

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Gwen,

I do not believe the Regal zoom will physically fit onto the Celestron Ultima line of scopes. From what I remember of the Ultima the diameter of a typical 1.25 inch astro eyepiece is about the same as the diameter of the male adapter on the Ultima scope. In other words the zoom won't screw on top of the scope body because they are of the same diameter.

The Baader Hyperion does screw on top of the Ultima bodies. The Baader comes with a series of adapters that allow it to fit on top of the Zeiss Diascope and the Celestron Ultima line of scopes. I once tried the Baader on the Celestron Ultima 65 ED and was very impressed with the overall image quality.
Frank ....Thanks for that info, I did not want to buy another zoom but I guess thats what I will have to do .... gwen
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 07:21   #8
woodhornbirder

Ultima 100 ED scope.

I believe celestron make some fixed mag eps for these scopes. However am not sure how good they are as they sell for 25-30 quid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-power-eye...=UK_Telescopes

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wide-angle-eye...=UK_Telescopes

"It just did not give me the choices I thought I would have"

tbh I find that rather hard to believe. There are hundreds of astro eps on the market, I dont think you have searched very hard. Were you looking for an ep that gave 90x 100deg FOV and cooked you breakast at same time?
Ofcourse i will agree that choice doesnt always mean quality...ive certainly bought some duds in recent months!

if i recall correctly....this bloke used to sell an ep that would fit a celestron scope.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/wolfi24/

I cant find it on his shop atmo, but hes friendly, drop him a line and ask.

I know a lad here who makes scope adapters, have asked him if he can make up something, hes a wiz with all that stuff )

Last edited by woodhornbirder : Thursday 26th August 2010 at 08:19.
Old Thursday 26th August 2010, 10:18   #9
inags

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Gwen,

That's what I found when I tried using a Celestron SLR adaptor
Quote:
As well as a 100ED I also have a straight Ultima 65 (pretty cheap).

With the supplied e/p the 65 was really nasty, the Hyperion transforms it. I can also use the combination hand-held if I can lean against something.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: