• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Ultravid HD-Plus 'Customized' (1 Viewer)

'Where does one wear these things? Do they demand a coordinated ensemble?'

Ha. As Bateman would say:

Now, Elmo, you've gotta wear clothes in compliment with the Ultravids.
There are definite do's and don'ts, good buddy, of wearing a leather-clad binocular.
A leather-clad binocular calls for solid-colored...
or discreetly patterned suits and ties.
Yes, always tip the stylist 15 percent.

Not in favor of the stainless steel look, the BL is much better. They are really stretching out the Ultravid models in 32 and 42 objective sizes - don't get me wrong I own a few - and they are a good glass, but these new clothes likely come with a higher price, sort of like the CL Nomad.

Andy W.

Surely you have to wear matching leather shorts / lederhosen with these? :eek!:

Like Andy I prefer the black look rather than the highly reflective silver but these surely aren't meant for down 'n' dirty field work. More for on the deck of a cruise liner or safely inside a safari Range Rover.

Lee

I love leather binoculars, but the BL looks much better than these, specially with the non-matching black central hinge. On the bright side, these will certainly be much cheaper than the Hermès special edition Ultravid HD+ 8x32.

Fashion accessory, that's all. Nothing wrong with that if it means they (Leica) can increase their revenue and put more into developing bins that us serious users want. ;)

Thanks, but no thanks, Leica.
Work on the 8x32 Noctivid instead is my advice...

Yes, I completely agree. I can't help but to ask Leica, is this really what customers were asking for? I mean, was there a void?

While these are a great bin wrapped with artwork, I'd really prefer that Leica get things moving on the 32mm Noctivid. Not that the development of the 32mm is dependent on ending any new marketing for the Ultravid but any of these projects require resources.

Patriot222, post 11,
As far as I know there is a substantial group of wealthy customers which is more than prepared to invest in these fancy Leica binoculars.
Gijs van Ginkel

Patriot222, post 11,
As far as I know there is a substantial group of wealthy customers which is more than prepared to invest in these fancy Leica binoculars.
Gijs van Ginkel

Yes, I suppose Leica has done their market research, although I don't believe these will gain much traction here in the states.

Yes, I suppose Leica has done their market research, although I don't believe these will gain much traction here in the states.

Alpha binos don't gain much traction in the States anyway from market research I have seen which suggests the majority of binos bought are priced at $500 or less. Super expensive collectors' models can be expected to sell even fewer units but it must be well worthwhile to Leica and as Gijs pointed out they are servicing a well-established market niche for Leica collectables in both cameras and binos.

It is arguable that Swarovski is dipping a toe into a similar niche with the ATX Interior scope.

Lee

I can imagine these Leicas might be attractive to a small and wealthy cohort who like to go to the horse races, and (more importantly) be seen at the horse races, or a few collectors who will buy them to add to their collection of things which are "limited" or in some way "exclusive". Presumably Leica's marketing people are satisfied that there is a sufficient number of such folk to make it worth their while, but to me, the appeal seems to be very limited.

I, for one, much prefer steel/leather binoculars. I am always afraid that the rubber will discolor or get damaged in time (deet? heat? sun?). One of the things I like about binoculars is that they can last a very long time (no batteries needed, no electronics), so if I were to get a binocular as expensive as an Ultravid 8x32, I would probably get these ones.

Single color options limit the appeal for me. For those who actually use their special editions, the color is probably more important than the uniqueness.

They are part way there - they just need to finish off with the gold Louis Vuitton patterning on the leather now ! :D
Chosun :gh:

Louis Vuitton would love to have Leica as an OEM, but Leica would never go for it. Many of LV's women's items are sparkly, blingy things, but their men's items (I have several) are generally conservative and understated.

All dressed-up , and nowhere to go 3:).

There are however plenty of rich people who will buy these , but these binoculars will probably never be "used in anger" , but merely as a fashion statement.

Actually I prefer the "leather" covered binoculars over the rubber coated ones , but all those shiny bits------------------.

Leica obviously knows where the money is , and the customers that they are aiming at probably do not know anything about binoculars.

But to each his own.

o:D

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back