• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Razorbills everywhere! (1 Viewer)

merryslug

The listserv i am on is abuzz with sightings - Razorbills are off the coast of Florida by the hundreds! The birds have been reported on both coasts, St Johns to Anna Maria Island.

While their #s seem to be greater offshore (boats seeing large groups), almost daily reports of individuals or small groups at mosts inlets, especially where jetties allow birders to get a little farther out.

This seemed to start a couple of weeks ago, with a few weak individuals washing onshore and being taken to rehabs. Now large numbers and healthy birds are everywhere.

Strangely, the old birding advice of early morning doesn't necessarily apply - I stopped by Boynton inlet at nearly 4pm, and saw both scoters and a razorbill. I wish I had done so with my camera - I was heading back from a client appt and took the chance to stop by the inlet and see if I got lucky. I hope to try again come the weekend - maybe after an early afternoon at Green Cay & Wako.

Picked up my lifer razorbills today off the gulf pier at ft desoto. Have had quite a few black scoter also.

Well, the razorbills eluded me again at Boynton inlet early this afternoon, though it was such a beautiful day I did get some picture postcard shots of the beach and the water to make friends up north jealous. :)

Have there been any reports of them (or scoters) around Jupiter or Juno Beach? I figure I'll go out to the Jupiter inlet and Juno pier tomorrow before work, just on the off chance I might spot something interesting.

Many Razorbills seen all day off Anna Maria Island beside the city pier. I watched them at about 7am and there where reports of larger groups all day long. Funny, while the out of state folks were watching brown pelicans and various gulls, I wondered how many might realize there was something else very unusual in the waters. It was a lifer for me!

Don't forget to report sightings on Ebird so that an overview of the invasion can be had. Take a look at this report which summarizes what have been found so far: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/razorbills-invade-florida

There is also a link to the ebird map which will show up to date distribution.

Finally, if anyone will be visiting Bahamas, Cuba, or any other northerly Caribbean areas, keep your eyes open for them there.

Niels

What is the context of this 'invasion'? I note they are casual to Florida, is this an unprecedented event? What may have caused it?

I've heard rumor cast about that hurricane Sandy might have had something to do with it - either throwing them off their migration routes, altering fish or food availability in their normal waters, etc.

I went to Boynton Inlet on 12/21/12 from 2-4:30pm. I did not find any Razorbills or Scoters. There was a lone Common Loon and the usual terns, gulls and sandpipers.

Stopped by on 12/29/12, and was able to see several scoters fairly far off (good for IDs, but not photography)...the common loon was still hanging out in the boat basin (and as a neat aside, two manatees were also popping up their noses right in the boat basin bay)...several royal terns overhead, typical laughing and ring-billed gulls all over the place. Quite a few ruddy turnstones hanging out on the fishing pier. I had been at Boca beach earlier, and there were quite a few sanderlings mixing in the shoreline with the gulls.

What is the context of this 'invasion'? I note they are casual to Florida, is this an unprecedented event? What may have caused it?

Yes, it is an unprecedented event. Florida previously had 14 records of Razorbills.

There is an interesting article here about the scale of the invasion and possible causes.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back