Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

field guide nicaragua / costa rica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Monday 11th December 2017, 13:17   #1
Geert Custers
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venray, the Netherlands
Posts: 223
field guide nicaragua / costa rica

When visiting both nicaragua and costa rica would i be needing both the Guide to the Birds of Nicaragua and Garrigues, Birds of Costa Rica?
I do have the costa rica field guide already.
Or would Birds of Mexico and Central America from van Perlo be a better option in order to limit weight?

Best regards,
Geert
Geert Custers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 11th December 2017, 13:33   #2
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,210
Personally I'd take both.

Van Perlo covers a big area in a small book so illustrations and text are limited.

Just weighed them, you'd be saving 600g if you only took Van Perlo


A

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 11th December 2017 at 13:37.
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 11th December 2017, 15:29   #3
Geert Custers
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venray, the Netherlands
Posts: 223
Thanks Andy,
I don 't have the van Perlo either.
I was more wandering if the Costa rican guide should be enough or that i beter purchase either the van Perlo or the Nicaraguan guide.

Regards,
Geert
Geert Custers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 11th December 2017, 16:58   #4
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert Custers View Post
Thanks Andy,
I don 't have the van Perlo either.
I was more wandering if the Costa rican guide should be enough or that i beter purchase either the van Perlo or the Nicaraguan guide.

Regards,
Geert
Definitely Nicaraguan rather than Van Perlo.

No endemics in Nicaragua but the range of species could be different enoughy to justify another book? I'd compare the species lists maybe and see if there is a big difference?

I downloaded these from Scythebill so the order should be the same, IOC taxonomy

A
Attached Files
File Type: xls checklist-Costa Rica.xls (96.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: xls checklist-Nicaragua.xls (80.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 11th December 2017 at 17:03.
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 11th December 2017, 18:35   #5
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. James, Barbados
Posts: 21,912
If you want an alternative to the Nicaragua guide (which I also feel is option No 1 to pair with the CR guide you already have), then I would like to mention the Fagan and Komar book: Peterson guide to N C America. I used that in Yucatan recently and did reasonably well with it. It covers the next 4 countries north of Nicaragua, and combined with your CR guide you would have every bird depicted, but you would be missing the range maps that I assume the Nicaragua only guide has.

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean

Just moved to Barbados
njlarsen is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th December 2017, 20:30   #6
Geert Custers
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venray, the Netherlands
Posts: 223
Thanks for the input.
I'll have a look to the checklists and see how many species in Nicaragua are not on the Costa Rican list / guide.

Geert
Geert Custers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 04:20   #7
gdhunter
Registered User
 
gdhunter's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Abilene, Texas
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
I would like to mention the Fagan and Komar book: Peterson guide to N C America. I used that in Yucatan recently and did reasonably well with it. It covers the next 4 countries north of Nicaragua, and combined with your CR guide you would have every bird depicted, but you would be missing the range maps that I assume the Nicaragua only guide has.
Actually (surprisingly) the Nicaragua guide by Martinez-Sanchez, Chavarria-Duriaux & Munoz does not have range maps. The concise text does outline regional & elevational distribution within Nicaragua and the global breeding range.

Of course you'd have to sort through all the species not found in Nicaragua with the Peterson guide, but the maps in that guide would help you do so.

Gary H
gdhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 09:35   #8
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhunter View Post
Actually (surprisingly) the Nicaragua guide by Martinez-Sanchez, Chavarria-Duriaux & Munoz does not have range maps. The concise text does outline regional & elevational distribution within Nicaragua and the global breeding range.

Of course you'd have to sort through all the species not found in Nicaragua with the Peterson guide, but the maps in that guide would help you do so.

Gary H


1. For some, the descriptive nature of the distribution information, can be more useful than a tiny map where much guesswork has to be employed?

2. That's why I provided species lists (post 4 ) for both countries, for an easy, side by side comparison of the country lists, why would you use books for this?


A

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 15th December 2017 at 10:13.
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 15:58   #9
gdhunter
Registered User
 
gdhunter's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Abilene, Texas
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
1. For some, the descriptive nature of the distribution information, can be more useful than a tiny map where much guesswork has to be employed?

2. That's why I provided species lists (post 4 ) for both countries, for an easy, side by side comparison of the country lists, why would you use books for this?
I don't dispute the utility of the descriptive information. A preceding post had made reference to the probability of maps in the Nicaragua guide & I was simply correcting that assumption. I also don't dispute the utility of your lists for those who choose to use them.

Gary H
gdhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 17:11   #10
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhunter View Post
I don't dispute the utility of the descriptive information. A preceding post had made reference to the probability of maps in the Nicaragua guide & I was simply correcting that assumption. I also don't dispute the utility of your lists for those who choose to use them.

Gary H

My point regarding the lists, was that it will be much easier than wading through field guides which may even use a different order.


A
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
butterfly field guide costa rica cafe birder Costa Rica 2 Tuesday 12th December 2017 20:07
Field Guide for Costa Rica davidedric Costa Rica 6 Saturday 7th January 2017 17:04
Costa Rica & Nicaragua Ambera Bird Identification Q&A 5 Wednesday 11th November 2015 16:45
Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua dwatsonbirder Information Wanted 18 Wednesday 19th June 2013 09:22



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.16417694 seconds with 25 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:38.