• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parry Arc (1 Viewer)

Binastro

Just saw a rare upper concave Parry arc with an intense upper part of a 22 degree halo using 10x25 Docter and unaided eyes with sunglasses.

The Parry arcs in Europe are about 100 times rarer than the 22 degree halo.

Cirrus sheet at 30,000ft.

The photos show the complete 22 degree halo although I could only see the intense top part and weaker bottom part with unaided eyes. Probably due to glare.
The photos include a high flying aircraft without contrails, but unfortunately no birds.

I didn't see any other rare halos, although I looked for them.

Two young women were passing and I showed one this phenomenon. She said 'a rainbow' I said 'no a halo because of ice crystals'. Both saw it.
As they were leaving I said it was a 22 degree halo.
She said 'I want to see it again' and we went back to the tree to hide the sun.
I pointed out the rare second arc, although I wasn't sure which halo it was until I looked it up.

I think that the girls were Italian. A very nice encounter.

Regards.
B.

Peter,
Unfortunately I am not computer literate and I don't know how to post photos.
Maybe my brother can do it.

In addition in this crazy world my 8GB card has 2,665 images. I ran out of film/card, as I would have carried on taking photos.
Nowadays 16GB cards seem to be the minimum, giving me 5,000 photos.

I don't know anyway how to extract one photo from 2,665 photos.

B.

Lucky view! One should always keep and eye out when the cirrus is about. I remember seeing a circumzenithal arc on a bus in central London, “rainbow smile in the sky”, bet I was the only one who noticed!
Hope you can find a way to post a pic!

PEter

PEter,
I managed to post a few photos on an astro forum ten years ago, but it was so much effort, I don't have the strength now.
With 512 Mb cards, I got about 170 photos. My success rate is 55%, so I deleted the poorer ones and printed say 90 7x5 inch photos at the local camera shop.
The camera shop is closed now as the internet killed it.
I haven't had photos printed for maybe six years now.

Every day billions of photos are taken, so one more by me is not going to add to the sum of knowledge.
I use cards like film, and just keep the full cards.
But I take the photos, look at them, and probably never see them again.
I use a camera like a notebook.
The old Canon compact always delivers, the more modern ones with AI etc mess up and don't deliver.

The circumzenithal arc is rather common.
I photographed a bright one a month ago.
I have seen Parry arcs and rarer forms before.

The young women were nice.
They may have been university girls, as they were genuinely interested in the halos.
Thirty years ago I would have invited them in for tea.
Thirty years ago, they weren't born. :)

Regards,
B.

PEter,
I managed to post a few photos on an astro forum ten years ago, but it was so much effort, I don't have the strength now.
With 512 Mb cards, I got about 170 photos. My success rate is 55%, so I deleted the poorer ones and printed say 90 7x5 inch photos at the local camera shop.
The camera shop is closed now as the internet killed it.
I haven't had photos printed for maybe six years now.

Every day billions of photos are taken, so one more by me is not going to add to the sum of knowledge.
I use cards like film, and just keep the full cards.
But I take the photos, look at them, and probably never see them again.
I use a camera like a notebook.
The old Canon compact always delivers, the more modern ones with AI etc mess up and don't deliver.

The circumzenithal arc is rather common.
I photographed a bright one a month ago.
I have seen Parry arcs and rarer forms before.

The young women were nice.
They may have been university girls, as they were genuinely interested in the halos.
Thirty years ago I would have invited them in for tea.
Thirty years ago, they weren't born. :)

Regards,
B.

Dear Binastro,

You could ask someone how posting images is done and how to retrieve image from your card.

One can learn at any age. Thirty years ago you would expect to go to a photo store and would expect to know how to use a camera.

Edmund
Edmund

Peter,
Unfortunately I am not computer literate and I don't know how to post photos.
Maybe my brother can do it.

In addition in this crazy world my 8GB card has 2,665 images. I ran out of film/card,
I don't know anyway how to extract one photo from 2,665 photos.

B.

Hi Binastro,
Windows has a Photoviewer app built in, which shows the photos on your card in date sequence by default. I assume Apple has a similar app.
So provided your computer has a card reader, you should have no trouble finding the desired photos.
Frankly, given your optical skills, it would be a crime to limit your photography because your card is full. Amazon UK offers excellent SanDisk 32 gig cards for 6 quid.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ul...ords=sd+cards&qid=1557962508&s=gateway&sr=8-3
So by all means shoot and share, we'd love to see your photos.

Hi edudiant,

That is not the problem.
I have spare cards, but don't have the computer knowledge.

32 Gb cards are insane. Almost 11,000 photos.

I have sent you a PM.

Regards,
B.

Looking again at the 25 photos, there seem to be two possibilities, a circumscribed arc, which is more common than a Parry arc or an upper concave Parry arc.

They both change considerably with solar altitude.
The sun's altitude in the photos is 48 degrees, with the very bright display at 70 degree elevation.

If there is cirrus in the sky, looking high above can be very rewarding.
Very few people actually look high in the sky.
One has to shield the actual sun behind a building or tree.

B.

Thanks to Binastro and his brother I am able to post one of the striking images taken of the arc.
Although this is not strictly a binocular topic and exception has been made in this case.
Lere

Attachments

• IMG_4934Red.jpg
    IMG_4934Red.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back