• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for Florida in early November (1 Viewer)

_pauls

Hi all,

I'll be visiting Florida (based in Lake City) at the end of October / start of November and its my first visit.

I'll be with my family who aren't especially into birding and I'll be reliant on borrowing a car for trips, so I'm hoping to get some recommendations for "if you only go to one place you need to go to...." to see some Florida birdlife.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Lake City, Florida is quite far north (Florigeorgia). If you can make it to St Marks NWR, that would be your best bet for the biggest variety of birds and other wildlife.

Carlos

Thanks for the suggestions.. I'm staying with relatives in Lake City (hence the choice of location) and this will be my first taste of birding in the southern USA - I've visited Texas before but that was on business and before I really started to rekindle my interest in birds, so mostly whatever I see will be fairly new to me.

St Marks looks achievable so that's a good starting point - hopefully I'll be back again to try other places in the future.

I agree with Carlos regarding St Marks NWR. A good spot in Lake City is Alligator Lake Park. Other possibilities: Paynes Prairie Preserve in Gainesville (specially La Chua Trail) and Ocala National Forest south of Gainesville near Ocala (Red-cockaded Woodpecker and Florida Scrub Jay, Short-tailed Hawk - which is very hard to find but I have seen it in early December there).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back