• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FieldPro strap question (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

I just got a pair of 8.5x42 EL FieldPro (secondhand from astromart, what a deal for essentially new bins!). They are great, but I'm not clear on the strap options. I have both the "comfort strap" and the loop mounting lugs, but only one pair of the push-through pins. Are those pins removable? or am I basically committing to using the lugs or the strap? I didn't see pins as an accessory item on the swaro website.

I usually use backpack attachment straps so I can clip on the a backpack or camera sling, so I'll likely go w/ the loops, though it would be great if I could switch off to a strap now and then.

I guess one option is to pick one then order another of the other, but someone on B&H complained that the strap loop connector ($5/ea) do not include the push-through pin.

Thanks for any advice,
Marc

P.S. I have some Zeiss HT 10x42 and while I've not used them side-by-side yet, the ELs look sharper and a bit more spectacular. I'll take them both out later today. I do like the clicking diopter adjustment on the ELs better than the stiff knob on the HTs.

Hi,

I'll try to help but not certain I understand your question correctly.

The Field Pro system (binocular with the field pro lug, push pin - there is probably a better word for this, and strap with field pro end for attachment via the push pin to the field pro lug) can easily be altered for a standard strap that loops thru a typical binocular lug. The push pin is removable by pushing it in and rotating counterclockwise (reverse for attachment). An accessory piece is required. The one you reference on B&H. It attaches to the field pro lug via the push pin and provides a standard lug for attachment of a typical strap via being looped thru it. The push pin is not included with the plastic accessory piece. Additional push pins are not necessary if you have two. I bet Swaro sells them if you want another or more and you should call them direct to find out. If you had bought the glass new, there is a plastic piece without the lug extension that is used when the field pro strap isn't. This way you don't have an air gap between the top of the pish pin and the face of the field pro lug when the strap isn't being used.

Hope this helps,

CG

PS the push pin is a fairly refined piece and it seems a little ridiculous to assume you get the plastic piece and a push pin for $5.

This might help too...

PS again for other people... the strap lug piece shown is for a larger model and doesn't appear to be compatible with the 8x30 as it is a little thicker which doesn't allow the pin to set deep enough into the body to be rotated.

Hope this helps again,

CG

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 199
Ok, that helped. I did get all the little pieces with the secondhand bins -- the previous owner was very conscientious about keeping things together. He also included a set of the loop attachment eyelets too. I mostly was not sure if those pins could be easily removed once inserted, they kind of click into the eyelet. I found that if I press it against a solid (metal) object, I can pop it back out again of the eyelets.

I would like to get a 2nd pair of those pins -- if I have to take them out of the eyelet on the strap to switch to a different strap system, things will get lost pretty quick.

I do like that the comfort strap gets long enough that I can wear the bins cross-ways under an arm, not have to keep them bouncing on my belly all the time.

Thank you!

Ok, that helped. I did get all the little pieces with the secondhand bins -- the previous owner was very conscientious about keeping things together. He also included a set of the loop attachment eyelets too. I mostly was not sure if those pins could be easily removed once inserted, they kind of click into the eyelet. I found that if I press it against a solid (metal) object, I can pop it back out again of the eyelets.

I would like to get a 2nd pair of those pins -- if I have to take them out of the eyelet on the strap to switch to a different strap system, things will get lost pretty quick.

I do like that the comfort strap gets long enough that I can wear the bins cross-ways under an arm, not have to keep them bouncing on my belly all the time.

Thank you!

Hi,
just email Swarovski. I has the same problem and they sent me a set of the plastic pieces.. Not sure about the pins though.

They will send you longer pins if you would like to use it with their Field pro harness. I had to do that with my new 8x30 and 10x30 cl's

They will send you longer pins if you would like to use it with their Field pro harness. I had to do that with my new 8x30 and 10x30 cl's

I had the same problem with the new 8x30 companion series, I didn't like the strap it came with and I bought the Swarovski comfort strap thinking it was compatible but the pins that come with the companion are too short for the lugs on this strap so I tried the pins that come with the el 8x32 and these worked as they are slightly longer, they were free issue from Swarovski when I rang them up, all they require is the serial number of the bins.

My problem is that the push pin on the left tube of my CL Companion 8x30 B has come loose 3 times when I was taking it out of its case to use it. Two times the push pin remained in the loosened strap but on one occasion I did have to pick the pin up from the floor. Fortunately the binocular never fell to the floor.

I was wondering if it could be made more secure? It is making me feel a little insecure when I am carrying it around my neck by its strap. .:eek!:

I like the way the strap can be spun around on the pin to remove any twists in it.

I keep the binocular in its case when I am not using it. I wrap the strap vertically around the hinge of the binocular when I return it to its case. The case is the Gray Wool "Northern Lights" case and the strap is a matching Gray Wool. (Binocular is "Anthracite" black)

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/cl-companion-c21010504/cl-companion-8x30-green-p5418295

Bob

Last edited:
The push pin should lock into position. once you insert it, you need to rotate it (don't remember if clockwise or counter clockwise) maybe 1/8th - 1/4th of a turn to lock it in position. I've never had a problem w/ my 8.5x42 ELs.

I'm using the eyelet strap hooks plus the Vortex harness. I tried the FPro strap for a while, but I much prefer a harness.

The push pin should lock into position. once you insert it, you need to rotate it (don't remember if clockwise or counter clockwise) maybe 1/8th - 1/4th of a turn to lock it in position. I've never had a problem w/ my 8.5x42 ELs.

I'm using the eyelet strap hooks plus the Vortex harness. I tried the FPro strap for a while, but I much prefer a harness.

Thank you for your response.

I found while putting the strap back on after the push pin came loose that I had to push it in rather firmly to lock it into position. It turns clockwise to lock. I suspect that when I am taking the binocular out of its case the pin works loose. I am now checking it after I remove it from the case to make sure it is tight.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced an accidental loosening of a push pin on their binoculars?

Bob

Last edited:
My problem is that the push pin on the left tube of my CL Companion 8x30 B has come loose 3 times when I was taking it out of its case to use it. Two times the push pin remained in the loosened strap but on one occasion I did have to pick the pin up from the floor. Fortunately the binocular never fell to the floor.

I was wondering if it could be made more secure? It is making me feel a little insecure when I am carrying it around my neck by its strap. .:eek!:

I like the way the strap can be spun around on the pin to remove any twists in it.

I keep the binocular in its case when I am not using it. I wrap the strap vertically around the hinge of the binocular when I return it to its case. The case is the Gray Wool "Northern Lights" case and the strap is a matching Gray Wool. (Binocular is "Anthracite" black)

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/cl-companion-c21010504/cl-companion-8x30-green-p5418295

Bob

Hi Bob, I found the pin on my CL needed careful manipulation to get it to secure properly, there was`nt the audible click I get with my Sv`s when turning the pin, but I just used to rock it back and forth without applying pressure to make sure it was secure.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back