• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (2 Viewers)

Swifts and hirundines flying nice and low this morning thanks to the arrival of some clouds(!) and rain(!!). Amongst the House Martins and Barn Swallows were two

77 Crag Martin

long overdue, as a couple of pairs nest in the village and would normally have paid us a visit before now.

Amazed, while watching Swifts just a few minutes ago when

64: WHIMBREL

flew over heading SW.

Last edited:
Amazed, while watching Swifts just a few minutes ago when

64: WHIMBREL

flew over heading SW.

Nice one (11) H!....I used to get waders flying over (mostly calling) that was generally at this time towards evening, but not for many, many, years now.

Whimbrel, Greenshank and Curlew....praps I'm going mutton.:eek!:

Yes - only my fourth wader for this house - including Woodcock. I should think only one or two possible - maybe GP and Oyk. Snipe I suppose. After that it's hard to see what others might be passing this inland locale.

It’s that changing of the seasons feel now, bird-wise at least ( the weather still very much in hot summer mode), the Black Kites and Swifts have all but gone and the Nutcrackers have begun their hazelnut raids. Possible breeding activity in the distance though, 2 Short-toed Eagles hanging about so I will have to have a hike up there when( if) the weather cools down a bit.
Reading this week of migrants at UK coastal sites, so today’s new species for the 2018 Garden list was very predictable:

78 Pied Flycatcher

Willow Warbler will surely be next, and maybe Spotted Flycatcher will get me to 80....

The rain stopped circa 6pm....had a suspect "no it can't be".....all salient body parts behind leaves, then it moved from Ash tree to Sallow, briefly perched up before flying over roof.....Pied Flycatcher no.77.

Continuing the Flycatcher theme, our expected second of the family turned up this morning (three weeks later than last year's first autumn bird):

79 Spotted Flycatcher

So I've stopped taking bets on what will be No 80, Willow Warbler (or I'll eat my hat!)

I'm still basking in the glow of having found my first local Black Grouse last week on a walk up one of the local slopes, a female with four young no less. I could just about see our house from very near the spot, so will be scanning for a lek next spring from the warmth of the kitchen :t:

Two more here, 58 sparrowhawk on 29th July, not sure why it took so long this year and 59 another spotted flycatcher on 6th August. 17 days earlier than last year, seems to be a trend.

Getting lots of linnets at the moment, coming of the stubble field next to us. At least 50 this morning, some stopping to drink at the new pond.

A good early morning seawatch after brief northerlies yesterday.

87. Canada Goose
88. Little Egret
89. Bonxie

You're doing well there Mark, I'm not expecting any of those three anytime soon ;)
A rainy morning the other day saw both flycatcher sp and a Common Redstart just outside the window during our breakfast, this morning the expected number 80 for the year appeared (so my hat can remain uneaten):

80 Willow Warbler

Just five days later than last year's first autumn bird. Loking at last year I had added Golden Oriole, Garden Warbler and Alpine Swift between end July and mid-August, my money is on the last one as my next likely 2018 addition (unless I manage to fluke one of the Eurasian Black/Cinerous/Monk Vultures that are knocking around).

Richard Prior;3752128[B said:
80 Willow Warbler[/B]

My first of the autumn at home yesterday too - I got all exicted because I thought at first it was new for the year but I had one bird in April after checking. Also yesterday, a probable Iberian Chiffchaff but it got away without good enough views or calls, well I'm pretty sure I heard it but a refrigerated lorry had just pulled up and was left on a high tickover....anyway...;) Its a good time for something new now to add to my measly 56!

Oh I don't know H, having failed to hear nearby spring passage singing males (due to the roaring of the river!) I still need Willow Warbler for the 2018 Garden list!
11 August last year was the first autumn bird so a while to wait yet.....

Luckily they sing also at autumn. I hear them almost every morning.

Edit: Oh! You have seen it already. I should read all posts before make a comment.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back