• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are there fish listers? (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

Just done my PADI Open Water Diver course in Thailand and it made me wonder if there's a community of fish listers, or even maybe twitchers? Anyone know? I could certainly see myself starting a list...
Thanks
Sean

Just done my PADI Open Water Diver course in Thailand and it made me wonder if there's a community of fish listers, or even maybe twitchers? Anyone know? I could certainly see myself starting a list...
Thanks
Sean

There are certainly books on the ID of Fishes in some diving hot spots. I'll bet people do 'tick' what they've seen on dives in their books, as for listing?

People do target the big stuff like Manta Ray and Whale Shark at known migration hot spots though I'm not sure you could call it twitching.

https://www.amazon.com/Divers-Guide-Red-Reef-Fishes/dp/0907151051

https://www.nhbs.com/fishes-of-the-indian-ocean-and-red-sea-book

https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Fishes-Corals-Invertebrates-Caribbean/dp/0658013092

Last edited:
We aren't dedicated fish listers as such but by golly we take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself to watch them. Locally we have watched spawning Grayling and one of the only self-sustaining population of Rainbow Trout and always stop to watch Brown Trout. By the sea this year we have watched joyful shoals of Sandeels, and Sand Goby, Rock Goby, 15-spined Stickleback and Dragonet as well as many young and unidentified flat fish.

Lee

We aren't dedicated fish listers as such but by golly we take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself to watch them. Locally we have watched spawning Grayling and one of the only self-sustaining population of Rainbow Trout and always stop to watch Brown Trout. By the sea this year we have watched joyful shoals of Sandeels, and Sand Goby, Rock Goby, 15-spined Stickleback and Dragonet as well as many young and unidentified flat fish.

Lee
The Grayling, The Rainbow trout, and the Brown trout are probably the ones I see being local to yourself but I had no Idea the Grayling were spawning when present so pleased to hear that along with the rainbow Trout too, I only rarely get to the coast now days but as a youngster along with my dad we did a bit of Angling together and what I saw and did is apart of what made me what I am today thou I don,t go angling now days I swapped my rod for my birdwatching, I could spend hours as a kid at rock pools at either devon or cornwall trying to catch rock gobys but whatever I caught there went back into the water it was a thrill not knowing what you might catch, but one occasion I won,t forget was when I got brief but good Views of a spider crab in a rock pool has he moved out of sight perhaps a rare thing to see in a pool just writeing about it here I can feel the pleasure it gave me nearly 50 years ago.

A few here and here

Very much in its infancy compare to birding with no one on igt over 1000 species. I have never learned how to scuba dive so I am confined to snorkeling, a net in rock pools and occasional angling trips.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back