• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura - 18th - 21st January 2014 (1 Viewer)

Dave_A

A detailed report on our two-and-a-half day birding trip to Fuerteventura can be found here - birdingandphotography.blogspot.co.uk

All target species seen, including Fuerteventura Chat (Fuerteventuran endemic), numerous Houbaras, Cream-coloured Coursers, Black-bellied Sandgrouse etc.

A pdf would also be available on request

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Fuertechat (Small).jpg
    Fuertechat (Small).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 104
  • CCCourser Fuerte (Small).jpg
    CCCourser Fuerte (Small).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 118
  • BBSandgrouse Fuerte (Small).jpg
    BBSandgrouse Fuerte (Small).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Houbara3 (Small).jpg
    Houbara3 (Small).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Great report Dave with lovely photos. Some people from up here were also there this month and saw 9 Yellow-browed Warblers. They clearly are getting more regular but I guess last autumn was a bumper year in these parts so maybe the numbers at the moment are exceptional.

Stephen

Sounds like a highly productive trip, especially the amazing number of Houbaras and fine shots of the chat, courser and sandgrouse. Also delighted to hear you scored at the airport roundabout - Cattle Egret's on my Roundabout list for Hong Kong Airport (see link below)

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
A very productive brief trip.

I guess sea-watching was a no-no due to time. Bulwer's Petrel and many Cory's can be seen on the ferry between Fuerteventura and Lanzarote, and it takes 45 mins each way. No guarantees tho.

It's only a 45 minute boat trip away with Bulwers petrel possible on the way...

I've been there a few times and I really like the place. I'm on lanzarote as an afterthought really. I was supposed to be in Morocco this week, but the trip was cancelled last month and I thought of here as a substitute because I've never been before and it's a place I've wanted to visit since the 70s.

I realised before I came that the birding wouldn't be as good as Fuerte, but I didn't appreciate how poor it would be. I've had a few Houbara, stone curlews, plenty of shrikes and stuff, but only a couple of trumpeters and not one courser in five days of looking. The place really is a birding desert, but at least I can now say that I've been.

Fuerte has the edge on scenery, too.

Too early for Bulwers, but I had a Fea's petrel from the hotel room at Caleta de Fustes last time I was there. Now that was a shock.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back