• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

.....and it's still giving!....Paphos. April 2nd-7th '18 (1 Viewer)

KenM

This six day account was spent almost entirely on Paphos headland (apart from an occasional trip to Paphos old town with my wife) where I met my partner ''in time'' over a three day period Mike Nesbitt, a fellow birder photographer who had arrived 5 days before me and had already struck gold with male Rock Thrush (got the locals going :eek!:) and female Desert Wheatear.

However before the ''dessert'', based on past experiences, I've often wondered just how seamless the best made travel plans are, regarding transfers to, and from the airport to one's ''specified'' accommodation resulting in just that. With so many potential pitfalls en-route, it only takes one broken link to have a knock-on effect...thus it was for me.

Stopping a ''chest cavity'' filling virus three days before departure had me wondering if it was wise to go, or cancel? I reasoned that languishing in Blighty, amidst the cold damp temperatures, might well be bettered... by languishing in 25 degrees having the sun on ''yer back'' could just have the edge, not to mention the accompanying adrenalin pumping rush that comes with a good find...(if yer lucky!)

Arrived at Gatwick as planned everything running ''tickety boo'' proceeded to the gate as instructed then awaited for the call...only to find that there would be a delay to the flight due to there being a shortage of cleaning operatives. Eventually (20mins?) I espied 3 young men strolling up the gangway, each holding a transparent refuse sack, almost 15 mins later, they emerged from the aircraft, two still holding their empty sacks! with the last operative proudly holding a sack 2/3rds full of paper and plastic.

I did muse whether their might be any mileage in this, for a time and motion expert's appraisal, however with the job done, it's only a matter of time before the tannoy announcement, and it was soon to arrive! ''Due to a passenger on the previous flight placing an obstruction in the toilet, there would be a further delay, as an engineer would have to be called.

''Apologies to all passengers on this flight, we will keep you informed as to resolving this issue and getting us up, and on our way''. Some 40 minutes later, and with two engineers on the job still being unable to rectify the problem, it would have to be an A320 (c300 people) on a 4hr+ flight with just the one loo! Needless to say when the drinks trolley came down the aisle...there weren't many takers. :eek!:

Eventually taking off 2 hours later than planned, and with the pilot assuring us that he'd be pulling out all stops at 37,000' and 550mph, to make up for lost time...four hours later we had landed, a 20 minute transfer to our hotel,
only to find that the ''sea view'' booked room...was not quite the ticket, but that's another story, off to bed and let the birding begin tomorrow.

to be continued....

Last edited:
Monday April 2nd 7am....a bowl of fruit, croissant and a requisite cup of tea set me up for my 10 minute walk to the headland, where I met Mike, who declared that all was quiet on the Western Front. He headed back to his hotel agreeing that we should meet up at c4pm in the Architectural Ruin for the late session. I then proceeded to the Ruin, hung around till opening time 8.30am, duly purchased my entrance ticket 2.25 Euro entrance fee....and was ready to ''Rock''....albeit in a non architectural sense. ;)

As Easter was much earlier this year, I reasoned that the diversity and numbers dynamic might be different (as it proved to be) to what I would normally encounter a week later? Although some species failed to materialise during this period, I came away with a good yield of Cyprus ticks!
As I made my way to the first ruin I was met by a male feldegg and a stunning male superciliaris! (Yellow Wagtails) the latter being one of the finest specimens that I've ever laid eyes on!

Moving through the ruin a Tawny Pipit materialised ahead of me amongst the few Yellow Wags. that were present, also an overflying Hoopoe adding even more colour to the mix, add the rattle of Sardinian Warbler and I realised that I was a long way from Blighty...a-a-a-a-h this was pure bliss! Moving to higher ground (the Lighthouse) I made my way along the N.Western path which gave views of some low cliffs descending into grassy scrub. It was here that I encountered my first party of Northern Wheatear and an added bonus of Isabelline Wheatear! Whilst talking to Mike (on the phone) I espied a small silhouetted bird atop distant bush, through taking a short film clip, on enlargement it proved to be the one, and only, Wryneck that I was to encounter on the trip.

Taking the return path back into the ''Odeon'' a sweep of the bins into the central rectangular grass strip, revealed two Wheatears, one of which was yet again the only Black-eared Wheatear that I was to see during my six days on the headland. On my way out of the ''ruin'' I picked up on some superb looking Greenfinches, seemingly in much better condition than we get back home (perhaps as a result of fewer, to no feeders available?).
Singles of Common and Lesser Whitethroat were added to the mix after which I met Mike and we agreed that numbers were down...but hey! it was early days yet, what might ''the morrow'' bring.

to be continued....

Attachments

• P1680817.jpeg   Tawny sharp..jpg
    P1680817.jpeg Tawny sharp..jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 88
  • P1680820.jpeg  Superciliaris 1..jpg
    P1680820.jpeg Superciliaris 1..jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 94
  • P1690173.jpeg   Grnfnch.50..jpeg
    P1690173.jpeg Grnfnch.50..jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 74
  • P1700095.jpeg   NW.flight 1..jpeg
    P1700095.jpeg NW.flight 1..jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 115
  • P1700074.jpeg   CY.1..jpeg
    P1700074.jpeg CY.1..jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hi Ken.
The overwhelming number of Flava wags on the headland and in the ruins was the first thing that I noticed.
I would definitely say that daily counts for the first couple of days was four figures for sure. Predominantly Feldegg but also good numbers of what I assume to be Beema but i'd be happy to be corrected.

Attachments

• 6182.jpg
    6182.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 72
  • BI9I3200.jpg
    BI9I3200.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 63
Clouded Yellow topside....! Presumably fluked it landing or taking off, that right wing looks blurred - they never sit open - bravo!

John

Tuesday April 3rd. Am retrospectively adding a party of 6 Cattle Egrets that I failed to mention on yesterdays walk to the headland :-C Today proved to be a wee bit more varied than before, meeting Mike same time c7.45am on the headland where we encountered Lesser Whitethroat and a superb female Subalpine Warbler where some good shots were had! happy faces all round, just the boost that we needed, it set Mike up for breakfast at the hotel, and moi to the ''ruin'' agreeing to tie up again after 3pm.

Taking the more, or less, previous days route, I noted this Clouded Yellow butterfly with the yellow replaced by white on the upper-wings only! presume the morph hellice? plus a distinct lack of Wheatears and just a single feldegg mmm I thought.....onwards and upwards past the lighthouse I heard snatches of Nightingale as I scanned the Northern field, a few more Greenfinches then surprisingly the only Bonellii's Warbler that I was to encounter plus a handsome male Spanish Sparrow, male feldegg, two Hoopoes a Whinchat a Woodchat Shrike! and a Red-throated Pipit!...and all before Lunch, met up with my wife and enjoyed a quick bite before returning to the site, where I once again met Mike for the late afternoon shift. Mike showed me the bushy area where he had had Ruppell's a few days previous, prior to my arrival. A stake out ensued and after some 20 mins. a fantastic male Ruppell's Warbler appeared and it was indeed showy for a few minutes....I can still here the shutter releases as I type. I decided to linger on a while after Mike had gone perhaps 15 mins. when my attention was drawn to a persistant soft ''cricking'' Hoodie high up, a raising of the bins revealed a juvenile female Marsh Harrier effortlessly soaring over the Lighthouse as the corvid drifted down...engagement over, a fitting end I thought to a great day.

to be continued.....

Attachments

• P1690158.jpeg  Clouded Yellow hellice.jpg
    P1690158.jpeg Clouded Yellow hellice.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 77
  • P1690022.jpeg   Bonelli's 1..jpeg
    P1690022.jpeg Bonelli's 1..jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 115
  • P1690050.jpeg   Fem.Subalp.90.jpeg
    P1690050.jpeg Fem.Subalp.90.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 108
  • P1690467.jpeg   Ngale.sp.2..jpeg
    P1690467.jpeg Ngale.sp.2..jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 107
  • P1690666.jpeg  Wheat.sp.1..jpeg
    P1690666.jpeg Wheat.sp.1..jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 100
Wednesday April 4th. A 7.45am meet at the headland produced two flights of Pintail going North, certainly a good start as it was another Cyprus tick, soon to be followed by others over the course of the morning. Several Red-throated Pipits broke ground cover, before Mike swung round with a cry of Stone Curlew over!

Moving on around the headland a Common Sandpiper winging it's way over the bay, followed by a small passerine flushed, when upon landing it was found to be a Greater Short-toed Lark, at this point we decided to retire from the headland, with myself doing a reconnaissance of the ''ruin'' and getting two more ticks R.N.Parakeet and Starling before taking a trip with spouse to Polis for lunch, then heading back to site for the late afternoon rendezvous.

This proved to be a relatively uneventful session, with no real arrivals on the day just a few Lesser Whitethroats moving through, a Zitting Cisticola, White Wagtail and a leftover Whinchat from yesterday....tomorrow's another day...and it proved to be just that!

Thursday April 5th. Within 5 mins. of leaving the hotel I ''double taked'' a Jackdaw on the pavement, another Cyprus tick! before meeting Mike as usual, but the headland outside the ''ruin'' was again fairly uneventful, thus I bade Mike goodbye as he was to fly back to Blighty on the day, and with checking out, packing and returning the hire car to prioritise, we went our separate ways.

Upon entering the site I walked the avenue of mature Tamarisks leading to the toilet block and noted a small increase in Lesser Whitethroats, also a Chiff Chaff with a touch of leucism to the starboard wing only. Also fresh in! several Red-Rumped Swallows , Linnets and a possible Thrush Nightingale singing?....basically sounding more like a Song Thrush but with more virtuoso, unlike Common Nightingale which to my ear sounds much richer than the former.

Moving on to the ''Odeon'' I bumped into a couple of birders, and as we exchanged information, one birder in a very controlled voice commented on the Masked Shrike sitting atop yonder bush, to which I replied he should take up ''birding'' :eek!: Well that was fresh in, what might else be in the offing I mused? A break for lunch, then back in...for the late session, upon return late in the afternoon, walking back into a low sun (isn't it always?) I espied a large Pipit on a small bush just South of the Lighthouse.

Alarm bells rang!!! would it sanction a closer approach, for me to turn the silhouette into ''real tones'', and allow me to get off a few record shots? Thus I adopted a slow casual pace with camera aimed firmly at subject, until I could see the silhouette morphing into tones through the viewfinder. The first few shots were not properly in focus, the sensor being confused by the bright light.

In order to achieve sharper focus, I needed to get to a better angle between the subject and the Sun. I held my breath for the next round of shots, getting off a few more before it flew up, then briefly hovering, before disappearing over the rise, and dropping into the long grass. A look at the shots allowed me to mutter Richard's Pipit...another tick for my Paphos list...I went to bed an extremely happy bunny.

to be continued......

Attachments

• P1700064.jpeg   MS.1..jpeg
    P1700064.jpeg MS.1..jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 84
  • P1690298.jpeg   Kes.9..jpeg
    P1690298.jpeg Kes.9..jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 79
  • P1690078.jpeg   Corn Bunt.2..jpeg
    P1690078.jpeg Corn Bunt.2..jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 62
  • P1690437.jpeg  RP.1..jpeg
    P1690437.jpeg RP.1..jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 107
  • P1690458.jpeg  RP.5..jpeg
    P1690458.jpeg RP.5..jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Excellent Ken. What a difference a day can make! Superb Shrike, Pipit and Sprosser.
Attached images are the Common Rockthrush, not found by myself but I was more than glad to jam in on it, unfortunately only a one day stayer and a female Desert Wheatear.
Cheers.

Attachments

• 7H6A6111 copy.jpg
    7H6A6111 copy.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 6473 copy.jpg
    6473 copy.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 72
Friday April 6th. Arrived at the headland c7.45am and had 2 Garganey heading South, not a bad start I thought another Paphos tick!
A wander into the first ''ruin'' produced another Tawny Pipit! so far so good, into the avenue of Tamarisks and relocated the previous days partial leucistic Chiff Chaff plus another Lesser Whitethroat. Eventually heading down to the Odeon where the female Masked Shrike had relocated and found a presumed Common Nightingale giving short snatches of song. Being a reasonable mimic I attempted the first few ''pew-pew-pew'' notes followed by a harsh ''churrr'' and to my surprise it responded! and came out into the open.
We then sang a duet together, although it must be said...that it had a ''slight'' edge to my less than virtuoso performance.:-O Some good shots were obtained, I was well pleased! Then walking back passed the ''White-throated Robin'' field of yesteryear, I noticed three large shapes ''cloaking the sky'' as they glided down to the top of a large Ash type tree....Wow 3 Purple Herons! things are a-moving I mused. Then scanning the hills above Paphos town I noted a probable (quite rufous and a bit distant) Long-legged Buzzard being buzzed by several Hoodies.

A quick lunch break, before heading back in, whereupon I noted that a fall of Northern Wheatear had occurred c20+ evenly spread across the three ''ruin'' sites + 3 Yellow Wags, also noted that the Purple Herons had been joined by another 4, seven atop one tree, hotting-up! in more ways than one.

Late afternoon I revisited the Dick Pipit bush to find that it had been replaced by a Crested Lark (with flattened crest)...momentarily my heart skipped a beat! then seeing some Red-Rumped Swallows flitting passed the Lighthouse, I opted to walk up towards...hoping to get some flight shots. I'm afraid they were too fast and furious for my lens, however I inadvertently flushed six lark type birds into the sun (in silhouette) before then dropping down into the grass c20m away.

Gingerly moving up the hill, I found that they were feeding on a circular path that was somewhat overgrown by long grass, however I managed to see the last bird Greater Short-toed Lark! before they rose up as one, before dropping down further away into deeper grass.

Finishing on a high note, I thought lets quit whilst ahead, and see what tomorrow (my last day) might bring.

to be continued.....

Attachments

• P1690367.jpeg  Chiffy leucistic wing..jpeg
    P1690367.jpeg Chiffy leucistic wing..jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 78
  • P1690509.jpeg  Night 5..jpeg
    P1690509.jpeg Night 5..jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 80
  • P1700046.jpeg  Mac.2.NW..jpeg
    P1700046.jpeg Mac.2.NW..jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 81
  • P1700063.jpeg  MS.2..jpeg
    P1700063.jpeg MS.2..jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 76
  • P1690502.jpeg   Ngale.17..jpg
    P1690502.jpeg Ngale.17..jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 79
Excellent Ken. What a difference a day can make! Superb Shrike, Pipit and Sprosser.
Attached images are the Common Rockthrush, not found by myself but I was more than glad to jam in on it, unfortunately only a one day stayer and a female Desert Wheatear.
Cheers.

Fantastic shots Mike, I certainly envy you the Thrush! ever thought of taking it up seriously. :-O

The good thing about the headland at first light was that even when the few shrubs didn't produce too much, you could always rely on something coming in off the sea or flying along the shore. A couple of times a quiet session was pulled around by the unexpected. I had a couple of lifers on this trip, first was a Quail, heard many times in the past but I damn nearly stood on this one. It flew from under my feet and gave three or four seconds of cracking views before diving back down to cover. Also a splendid male Pallid Harrier was a first for me as it slid past at close range. Unfortunately images were of the bird flying away.

Attachments

• 3131.jpg
    3131.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 3828.jpg
    3828.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 73
  • BI9I3742.jpg
    BI9I3742.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 109
Saturday April 7th. Last day :-C Early am on the headland almost missed a flock of Glossy Ibis in the distance heading North c50 birds, hung around for 20 mins. not much else, so I headed down the path to the Architectural Ruin to see if there was any action inside. Proceeding to the first ''ruin'' I espied not one, but at least 3 Tawny Pipits! my highest count of this species to date, soon followed by a Life tick!....first calling, then flying across the scrubby field....two Chukar Partridges.

Then into the Tamarisk trees, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat and a new Chiff Chaff possibly of the race tristis! I had to be back by 11.30am as check out time at the hotel was mid-day. This got me to hasten my pace around the track, Whinchat, Red-throated Pipit, Tree Pipit (only the 2nd encountered) plus Masked Shrike and my first Blackcap of the trip. Heading out towards the entrance I espied four Red-Rumped Swallows on the wires with Barn Swallows...some having various amounts of pink to the under-parts presume ssp transitive.

Getting back to the hotel I was thoroughly exhausted! the adrenalin surges, the virus, and the six days (c8.5 miles per of) had taken it's toll, as I slumped into the ground floor patio chair, my wife handed me a cup of nectar from the gods! (tea), as I imbibed, a bellboy pushing a suitcase trolley along the paved walkway towards our deck, making a tremendous ''racket'' disturbed a migrant flying swiftly from the low,lawn edged hedge, into a Citrus type tree, barely 7 metres away!

In that nanosecond before zapping up into the canopy, it became indelibly etched onto my retina...looking more or less straight at me, in a degree of dappled, and reflected light, it suggested a contrasting pale eye-ring, with a red breast against a whitish belly! Before I could rise, a hotel guest walking towards, flushed the bird and it flew at what I can only describe as a tran-saharan pace across the pool area, a sharp left turn upwards into another distant tree beneath which were sunbathers! All I'll say is, that if a Robin has got 4 gears....this had 6!

Looking back on the week, overall it was quieter than other years, perhaps the date (a week earlier than previous visits) and some species coming through earlier, taking advantage of the prevailing winds I don't know? However it still delivers throughout the ''migration window''. Over the week I clocked up c60 species with perhaps 10 Paphos ticks! It was great meeting up with Mike again, very much a ''like mind'' especially in hunting mode.

Can't wait till next year!

Cheers

PS. The Thrush Nightingale in the last image, was singing...
''The last Post''....:-O

Attachments

• P1700083.jpeg  RRS.5..jpeg
    P1700083.jpeg RRS.5..jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 71
  • P1690836.jpeg  Chiffy 2..jpeg
    P1690836.jpeg Chiffy 2..jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 70
  • P1700082.jpeg   GE. 1..jpeg
    P1700082.jpeg GE. 1..jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 58
  • P1680834.jpeg   Swallow 100..jpg
    P1680834.jpeg Swallow 100..jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 78
  • P1690425.jpeg  Showy Nightingale 1..jpeg
    P1690425.jpeg Showy Nightingale 1..jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back