• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper UHD beats Zeiss SF and Leica Noctivid! (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
In the latest Audubon binocular review the MIJ Vortex Razor UHD 8x42 almost tied the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and it beat the Zeiss SF 8x42 and the Leica Noctivid 8x42 in their rankings. Maybe the AK prism in the Vortex Razor UHD is the difference. That is pretty good for a binocular that you can buy for $1250.00 or so if you shop around. Less than 1/2 the price of the Zeiss or Leica.

https://www.audubon.org/news/category-top-line
https://www.audubon.org/gear/binocular-guide

Last edited:
In the latest Audubon binocular review the MIJ Vortex Viper UHD 8x42 almost tied the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and it beat the Zeiss SF 8x42 and the Leica Noctivid 8x42 in their rankings. Maybe the AK prism in the Vortex Viper UHD is the difference. That is pretty good for a binocular that you can buy for $1250.00 or so if you shop around. Less than 1/2 the price of the Zeiss or Leica.

https://www.audubon.org/news/category-top-line
https://www.audubon.org/gear/binocular-guide

Razor.

I'd like to know more about the persons who carried out this comparison and wrote the report. It isn't the most full or technical read to be honest. There is a suggestion in the comments section that elements of the content date back to 2009.

Last edited:
I'd like to know more about the persons who carried out this comparison and wrote the report. It isn't the most full or technical read to be honest. There is a suggestion in the comments section that elements of the content date back to 2009.
"Explanation of Methodology

For the latest Audubon Guide to Binoculars, we divided the bins into six categories, based on price. We took the following steps to try to obscure the make/model of binoculars: Each price group was color-coded and each pair of binoculars within the group was given a different letter by which it was identified (e.g., ‘Red A’ or ‘Blue D’), and we covered identifying marks on the bins with masking tape. As our goal was to assess binoculars within price groups, we asked reviewers to select at least one color group and to test all of the binoculars within it—rather than randomly selecting binoculars from multiple groups.

We asked reviewers to rate binoculars on a scale of 1 to 10 for each of nine categories, with 10 being the highest score. Below are the categories, along with the weight we assigned to each when analyzing the results in parentheses. We calculated a weighted average score because we consider some factors, such as clarity and brightness, to be more important considerations than others, such as close-focus capacity and eyecup quality.

Image Quality

Clarity (1)
Brightness (1)
Edge-to-edge focus (.7)
Color rendition (.8)
Close-focus capacity (.5)

Overall Feel

Ease of focus (1)
Balance (.9)
Comfort in hands (.5)

Eye Comfort

Eye relief (1)"

Last edited:
Thanks but I read all that in the links you provided and other sub menus which is how I arrived at my conclusion.
P

I had a quick look through them at Cleyspy, they did feel more like 50mm bins in the hand to me, rather small focus wheel, I remember feeling the view was really good, but I put them down and moved on quite readily.

I had a quick look through them at Cleyspy, they did feel more like 50mm bins in the hand to me, rather small focus wheel, I remember feeling the view was really good, but I put them down and moved on quite readily.
I imagine they have to be a little bigger and heavier with the AK Prisms and the triplet apochromatic objective lenses. You thought the view was really good?

Last edited:
https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Vortex-Razor-UHD-10x42-Binoculars-Review-255.htm

The Vortex Razor UHD 10x42 binoculars is a fantastic instrument and most certainly ranks amongst the very, very best that I have ever come across. For those wondering about the hefty price tag and if they compete with the top 'alpha' level brands from Europe, I have absolutely no hesitation in saying that they are as good or better than anything currently on the market.

Attachments

• Vortex-Razor-UHD-10x42-Binoculars-Size-Large.jpg
    Vortex-Razor-UHD-10x42-Binoculars-Size-Large.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Vortex-Razor-UHD-10x42-Binoculars-Review-255.htm

The Vortex Razor UHD 10x42 binoculars is a fantastic instrument and most certainly ranks amongst the very, very best that I have ever come across. For those wondering about the hefty price tag and if they compete with the top 'alpha' level brands from Europe, I have absolutely no hesitation in saying that they are as good or better than anything currently on the market.

I briefly looked at a 10x UHD at Cabelas. I will agree the view is great, but the ergos are lacking IMO. They are way too big, and I can't imagine spending SLC like money for a Vortex anything. To my eyeballs, they do compete well optically with the SLC, but not so much in ergos, fit, finish, etc.

From BBR

It may seem a little strange to some to describe a binocular at this price level as being good value, but If you are looking for an alpha level binocular, then when compared to many of their direct competitors, I do feel that in this context, these Vortex Razor UHD 10x42 Binoculars offer good value for money.

Certainly competitive with the top tier, the victory fl`s were no bigger with AK`s.
They were a little longer than most alpha's. I don't think the FL has a triplet APO objective either. That would probably add to the length.

"Apochromatic (APO) Lenses
Rather than the more widely used and less expensive achromatic doublet lens design that as the name suggests uses two lens elements within each lens, Vortex Razor UHD binoculars have apochromatic lenses that are usually made up of at least 3 lens elements.Whist this additional piece of glass in each lens is certainly one of the contributors to the instrument being both heavier and longer than average, the advantage is that instead of just two, an APO lens is able to focus three wavelengths of light onto a single point and thus are able to better reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations for a higher definition image."

Attachments

• Apochromatic-Lens.gif
    Apochromatic-Lens.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The Vortex 8x42 UHD's have several advantages over the Swarovski 8x42 SLC's. One being the AK prisms and another the Apochromatic Triplet Objective for better CA control and a bigger FOV with the SLC having 408 and the UHD having 420 feet. Ergo's is subjective and subject to how they fit your hands and face. The Zeiss SF's are a big binocular also because of the design but they don't feel as heavy because of excellent balance.

They were a little longer than most alpha's. I don't think the FL has a triplet APO objective either. That would probably add to the length.

Rather than the more widely used and less expensive achromatic doublet lens design that as the name suggests uses two lens elements within each lens, Vortex Razor UHD binoculars have apochromatic lenses that are usually made up of at least 3 lens elements.Whist this additional piece of glass in each lens is certainly one of the contributors to the instrument being both heavier and longer than average, the advantage is that instead of just two, an APO lens is able to focus three wavelengths of light onto a single point and thus are able to better reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations for a higher definition image."

Dennis,

The 8x32 FL has a 3-piece APO design according to Allbinos:

https://www.allbinos.com/191-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x32_T*_FL.html

These Vortex Razor UHD 8x42's look interesting so I ordered a pair from Sport Optics for $1250.00 with free shipping. I will compare them to my two favorite alpha's right now the Nikon EDG 8x42 and the Zeiss FL 8x42 and I will report here as soon as I get them. More to come.

Nearly every roof prism binocular has a 3 element objective lens now (4 if you include the focusing lens) and not one of them is a true APO, no matter what the marketing claims.

I can't see that there is a "methodology" here. An "army" of innocents is sent out to look at various things through 50 binoculars and then write down numbers. That's what's known as clueless.

Nearly every roof prism binocular has a 3 element objective lens now (4 if you include the focusing lens) and not one of them is a true APO, no matter what the marketing claims.

I can't see that there is a "methodology" here. An "army" of innocents is sent out to look at various things through 50 binoculars and then write down numbers. That's what's known as clueless.
Henry. The Nikon EDG for one uses a doublet in the objective lens so there still are some doublet's used. Of course you know that most porro's and Canon IS's use a cemented achromatic doublet objective also. The Zeiss HT though uses 6 lenses in it's objective lens. You are right though because most modern roof's do use at least 3 elements in the objective. What you are saying is Vortex is using blatant false advertising in their claims about the Razor UHD. I sent a message to Vortex about their claims to see what their response is. I think there has been a lot of threads on Bird Forum on what an Apochromatic Lens is and it depends on your definition of it. Vortex and Zeiss are probably bending the definition in their marketing. When a binocular manufacturer says a binocular is Apochromatic they mean it is appreciably better than an Achromat. They don't mean it is an Apochromat in the sense that a very fine Apochromatic Televue telescope is. No binocular is going to be as color free as a very fine telescope.

Last edited:
The Vortex 8x42 UHD's have several advantages over the Swarovski 8x42 SLC's. One being the AK prisms and another the Apochromatic Triplet Objective for better CA control and a bigger FOV with the SLC having 408 and the UHD having 420 feet. Ergo's is subjective and subject to how they fit your hands and face. The Zeiss SF's are a big binocular also because of the design but they don't feel as heavy because of excellent balance.

I guarantee you if a UHD is $1400, and a mint/used SLC is $1500, 9 people out of 10 will choose Swaro. Oh, and last time I checked, optics are a subjective thing too.

Last edited:
I guarantee you if a UHD is $1400, and a mint/used SLC is $1500, 9 people out of 10 will choose Swaro. Oh, and last time I checked, optics are a subjective thing too.
I don't know about that. You can get the Vortex UHD for $1250.00 and there are a lot of hunter's that really like Vortex's in the US because of their unconditional warranty. They don't have to worry about them because if they drop them in a river Vortex will send you a new pair no questions asked. Vortex has excellent marketing also and a big presence in the retail stores like Cabellas. The salesmen really push Vortex's and a big portion of the display case is taken up by them. Every time I am in Cabella's looking at Swarovski's the salesman will steer me to Vortex's. At the BBR website the SLC's scored 90% which is among the very best but the UHD's slightly outscored them at 92%. The Swarovski EL scored 93%. I had three pair of SLC's and they all had funky focusers being sticky and easier to turn in one direction. Bad luck, maybe. I gave up on them. I will admit the optics were very good although softer edges than an EL and I liked the size of them.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Swarovski10x42SLC-145.htm
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...www.bestbinocularsreviews.co...Review-255.htm

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back