• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

spotting scopes and eye relief... (1 Viewer)

wdc

United States
Scope mavens, Alan French recently mentioned the idea of testing out a scope and eyepiece setup to make sure it works with eye glasses. I have owned a Leica Televid 65 for a few months, and find the eye relief reasonable. By that I mean I can push my eyeglasses against the eyepiece and see the whole field, whether at 25 or 50x. I might wish it was a bit longer, but it does work.

I have been out birding in the past, and looked through other's scopes (prior to looking more critically at them, as one does when they finally own one) and have seen 'better' eye relief, which I believe were on Kowas. I'm aware there's probably a lot of variables in terms of different eyepieces and scope aperture/focal length combinations.

My basic question:
What scopes and scope/eyepiece combos offer the best eye relief? and conversely, which ones offer the least, or the worst? And when I say 'worst', I mean not glasses friendly, that's all. I'm aware that those setups might be ideal for non-eyeglass wearers. Thanks.

-Bill

My basic question:
What scopes and scope/eyepiece combos offer the best eye relief? and conversely, which ones offer the least, or the worst? And when I say 'worst', I mean not glasses friendly, that's all. I'm aware that those setups might be ideal for non-eyeglass wearers.

The old Nikon Fieldscopes with the WA eyepieces and especially the DS eyepieces have long eye relief.

Hermann

100% agree with Hermann, with the caveat that pretty much all of the zoom options for the fieldscope series are arguably the worst for those who wear specs. The Swaro 30x and older leica 32x are also a pleasure to use, with their zoom lenses probably having the best eye relief.

Fixed eps are so much better than zooms. I’ve yet to find a zoom I can use all through its range with my glasses on.

Swar 30x, Nikon DS 30x are lovely. My favourites are Nikon EDG fixed eps. I have 16x/20x and 24x/30x on 65 and 85mm scopes. They have the most eyerelief I have known along with Pentax XW14mm. I have to raise the eye ups a bit to be comfortable with my glasses on.

There’s a large choice of fixed EDG eps too. They’re great scopes. The only downside being their weight. The 65 is perfectly portable and the 85 I use when mostly car based.

Not sure which have least eyerelief because I just haven’t paid attention to them when I’ve tried them. As soon as it’s apparent they don’t suit me, I move on quickly.

Scope mavens, Alan French recently mentioned the idea of testing out a scope and eyepiece setup to make sure it works with eye glasses. I have owned a Leica Televid 65 for a few months, and find the eye relief reasonable. By that I mean I can push my eyeglasses against the eyepiece and see the whole field, whether at 25 or 50x. I might wish it was a bit longer, but it does work.

I have been out birding in the past, and looked through other's scopes (prior to looking more critically at them, as one does when they finally own one) and have seen 'better' eye relief, which I believe were on Kowas. I'm aware there's probably a lot of variables in terms of different eyepieces and scope aperture/focal length combinations.

My basic question:
What scopes and scope/eyepiece combos offer the best eye relief? and conversely, which ones offer the least, or the worst? And when I say 'worst', I mean not glasses friendly, that's all. I'm aware that those setups might be ideal for non-eyeglass wearers. Thanks.

-Bill
I wear eyeglasses and want/need a lot of eye relief.

We have the Nikon ED82A (all lenses) and a Kowa 883 (20-60 TE-11WZ zoom).
As noted...the ED82A 25-75 zoom is very short on eye relief along with a narrow FOV. The lens is, however, optically superb! The DS fixed eyepieces have eyeglass-friendly eye relief and wider fields of view.

I bought the Kowa 883 specifically for the additional eye relief and wider FOV and I happily use it from 20-60 with eyeglasses. I also prefer the Kowa's dual focus over the hyper-sensitive barrel focus on the ED82.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back