• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs? - Ottawa, ON (1 Viewer)

Greater for me as well.

The bill looks slightly up turned in the thumbnail but when you open up the thumbnail it looks straight.

Looks more like Lesser. Very thin bill, Greater has a thicker bill. I am not seeing an upturn at all, so to each their own on that I guess. Also it is slender, not much girth to the body.

Looks more like Lesser. Very thin bill, Greater has a thicker bill. I am not seeing an upturn at all, so to each their own on that I guess. Also it is slender, not much girth to the body.

Completely agree, appears all round, too slender for Greater IMHO.

I think greater with the light having made judging the thickness impossible. Not even a lesser would have this thin a bill -- and it is just too long for lesser.

Niels

Lesser usually has a bill approx. as long as the head (bill measured from tip to insertion at the frons and head measured from bill insertion at the frons to the farthest point of the nape). Carefully measuring on the screen with an enlarged image I get approximately 36 units for head length and 40 units for bill lenght, producing a ratio of about 1.11
I think you cannot rule out Lesser, as that bill length/head length ratio seems to be within species variation. Photos can produce funny visual effects and that's why actually measuring does help in these cases.

I think greater with the light having made judging the thickness impossible. Not even a lesser would have this thin a bill -- and it is just too long for lesser.

Niels

A greater has a thicker bill than a lesser though. I would definitely not say the bill thickness is impossible to judge here in my opinion.

Not sure how people are getting lesser here. The bill is way too long in proportion to the head. You can't really judge size of a lone bird. The thickness of the bill is less reliable than length in proportion to the head, and I don't really think you can judge thickness from this image anyway.

Not sure how people are getting lesser here. The bill is way too long in proportion to the head. You can't really judge size of a lone bird. The thickness of the bill is less reliable than length in proportion to the head, and I don't really think you can judge thickness from this image anyway.

See post #11.

There’s a few subtle distinctions that I would present in response to this. You can judge size of a long bird when it comes to proportions in photos that are not too distant. This bird does not have the girth of Greater Yellowlegs. It is true that the length of the bill is slightly more reliable than the thickness I suppose, but the length of the bill is still spot on for Lesser Yellowlegs. In this photo, the bird is fairly close, it’s a reasonably good picture just with strong backlighting. If anything, a thicker bill would be more subject to trickery than a thinner bill. Any backlit aspect of the photo is going to show in strong contrast here, it definitely would not look smaller than it is. However, in this photo everything supports Lesser. It looks exactly like one in terms of body proportion, and bill thickness, bill length, and bill shape. A strongly backlit photo doesn’t negate the strong case for Lesser here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back