• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japanese Bird ID Help (1 Viewer)

Blogd

I just got back from the Mt. Fuji Area (Lake Sai, to be specific, north slopes), and have a few images of birds I can't identify. I always feel like a dolt after I'm told what birds I can't ID are, but I really am stuck on these.

The first was small with the white band across the wing, and I thought it might be an immature Narcissus Flycatcher, but the tail seems too long.

The second I had thought was a Daurian Redstart, but the white spot on the wing seems to be in the wrong place.

The third I just got from behind and can't ID--is it the same as one of the others?

All of these were taken during a light rain in some trees behind the hotel I was staying at; Lake Sai is on the other side of the building.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• unk02-450.jpg
    unk02-450.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 111
  • unk03-450.jpg
    unk03-450.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 116
  • unk04-450.jpg
    unk04-450.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 84
What about asian brown flycatcher?

It looks like it could be that one but i have no clue about the status of that sp. in Japan.

Last edited:
First (and possibly third) look like Asian Brown Flycatcher to me.

The second looks like a female Narcissus Flycatcher, although I'm not sure if that should show white in the wing like this bird

I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant ABF on pic. 1 and 3 and an unident. flycatcher on nr 2 (wich could be fem. narcissus, but i'm not used to the NF)

On asian brown you can clearly see an eyering, wich this one has. (in swedish the ABFs is called spectecled flycatcher)

The first and third look fine for an Asian Brown Flycatcher though there are two confusion species which regularly occur in Japan, Grey-streaked and Siberian, also called Dark-sided.

The relatively unmarked underparts rule out Grey-streaked amongst other things and jizz wise they are generally more elongated. The 'big-eye' is a good Brown Flycatcher feature although Siberian also has a large eye it never seems quite as pronounced. The underparts on Siberian are very variable, some very heavily smudged underparts, some almost as pale as your bird though generally the dark area would extend further down the flanks. A good feature is the wing length, the primaries being longer on Siberian. Your bird shows a relatively long tail and primaries reaching perhaps the initial tail base, too short for Siberian.
The second image is a little trickier from the one image posted. The obvious choice would be Narcissus Flycatcher, probably a young male with the extent of yellow (0r is that digital illusion?). I can't however rule out Yellow-rumped Flycatcher, which does occur though how regular I'm unsure. Perhaps the limited extent of white on the coverts is more pro Narcissus

A good link here - http://orientalbirdimages.org/birdimages.php?action=birdfamily&Bird_Family_ID=216

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back